Author Topic: on line dating agencies.  (Read 759 times)

Alfred

on line dating agencies.
« on: May 25, 2020, 08:13:29 PM »
Its interesting to see the adverts  for people who are looking for a partner to go out on a date simply to see if they are both compatible, and
looking for romance,

yet with this coronavirus close down how are they able to meet considering the lock down rules, it must be very trying and frustrating for them ,

i suppose face book or skype or what ever will help but it isn't the same as seeing some one close up ,

Q; bearing this in mind do you think on line dating agencies are good or not so good,.

mick607

Re: on line dating agencies.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 08:34:34 PM »
You can't beat the local grab a granny night.

biglouis

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 12:22:09 AM »
 Long posting about the dangers of “online” relationships. You don’t have to use a dating site for scams to be attempted.

I sell online on various internet platforms and in 2012 I had just begun on a new one in the USA. Dean, (one of my US customers) had bought a few expensive pieces and we began to chat online two or three times a week. We had many things in common seemingly, a love of antiques, interior design, science fiction, art and so on.

We exchanged photos.  However when he wanted to chat face to face I said no. I had recently come out of a long term relationship and didn’t want to become involved again just yet. So I backed off and said “lets just keep it a casual online friendship” He appeared to agree but every so often he would seem to be moving in a bit too close again, and I backed off.

Dean presented himself as owning a “prop hire” company and being a freelance stylist to the likes of film, TV and theater companies, interior decorators, etc. However gradually be introduced a new topic of conversation. It seemed his mom was in poor health and needed an expensive operation. Meanwhile the hospital bills were racking up. This raised a red flag with me. You don’t discuss your financial worries with a casual friend on the internet. I saw, or thought I saw, where this was going.

So I began to distance myself by changing the subject whenever the expensive hospital bills came up. Or I cut short the conversation and made out that I was busy with my shops. I also, with some regret, cut down the frequency of our chats to one or two a week.

One day he said to me “You don’t know how lucky you are to live in a country with free health service. Here if you can’t pay you get left to die like my mom”. I realised I was being groomed to feel guilty. I told him that our health service is not free because its paid for out of taxes. All working adults have to contribute whether they need to use it or not, so its certainly not free.

April came along, a month when I used to close all my shops and travel in Europe to buy new stock. In an effort to distance myself still further I told him I was going on a business trip to Europe and as I would be on the road, there was no guarantee we would be able to talk. So I guess it was going to be “a few weeks” before we spoke next. My intention was to let him down gently and not contact him again for a few weeks. Hopefully he would by then have found a way of solving his financial problem with his mom’s illness.

At that point he came right out and asked me to wire him $50,000 to help pay for his moms operation. I was shocked. “I don’t have that kind of money” “Well you’ve got over $$$$ of stock sitting in your shop!” I was so angry that he had been adding up my net worth in this manner. Of course money invested in stock is not the same as money you can quickly realise to lend out. Any competent business person would know that. Just because someone has a nice house, a flashy car, and expensive stock does not mean they have ready cash sitting in the bank. At that time I was still renting and didnt even own a car.

I told him this. I asked for details of what the operation was, but he skirted around my questions. He sounded more interested in how much money I could wire him than his mom’s actual condition. I told him that the bank would not simply allow me to wire a large sum of money abroad just like that. We had strict money laundering laws.

“Well how much do you think you can let me have?”
“Ill speak to my accountant tomorrow and see what I can do”.

That was the last time we ever spoke.

After I came off the phone I blocked his email address, blocked him from my shop, and set both my landline and mobile to block international calls.

At first I felt guilty. Then I discussed the situation with a relative. I use my own domains for email and he showed me how to block Dean’s email address and IP address as deep server level so that his communications would never even reach my spam file. They would simply bounce back to him with a gobbledegook message.

He asked to see the photograph that Dean has sent me, and showed me how to do a reverse image search on Google. Low and behold. Dean’s picture came up on a number of scam warning sites and in similar contexts. He was not simply called Dean. In fact he used a number of alias names and had scammed several women.

My instincts to back off had been correct, and I had narrowly escaped losing a lot of money to a very clever fraudster.

In the end I decided not to go to the police or take the matter further. I wanted no further involvement with “Dean”. To be truthful, I felt more than a little foolish that I had been taken in. However I did forward my evidence to the owners of the platform where my shop was located. They banned him from the site and sent a generic warning message to all shop owners to “proceed with caution” if contacted by anyone with these characteristics.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

granny moss

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 09:07:05 AM »
I was never in need of dating agencies....I was busy turning down offers of marriage....and others....I have been once, offered a villa on the Lake Como, if I would be a surrogate mum for a very wealthy couple that could not have their own baby  :D :D :D I was 19 at the time ! I told my mother about it and she was very amused ! Another one I remember was the owner of several Reastaurants and bars, and when he noticed Micky coming to my home frequently, he rung the door bell one morning, and my mother went to answer. I followed her. There he stood. This fish eyed old man...about 40s ?...and said to my mother : signora, I want to marry your daughter !  My mother said: Signor Sommariva, my daughter has no money...and he said : Eh, signora, I do not go to bed with my money !!!!! :o She used to say to me: Eh, my dear. No this one he is too thin, or that one, he is too fat...that one is too stupid etc etc...You are going to end with your nose in the S***... :D :D :D I met Micky, and from the first moment, we were totally inseparable ! Never stopped loving him. I miss him so much.  Take care and enjoy each day. Time is so precious....PS. Finished writing my memoirs....Jenny will publish, when I am gone. I have had an incredibly interesting and busy life. gmx

Raven

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 09:08:22 AM »
Not something I would ever dream of using.

biglouis

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 02:57:46 PM »
Online you can pretend to be anyone. Thats the main danger.

Live this ad for E Harmony. I am crazy about tortoises and would love to own that one. (The tortoise not the man).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Sg3f5QraM
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Jacqueline

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 05:35:43 PM »
Although not met through on line dating agencies, I can think of three gold digging women who have got their claws in to men I know.

The first is ex brother in law who met a much younger woman through walking his dogs. Had a child with him, the next thing his will has left everything to her, her son by previous relationship and the new child, cutting out his daughters from his first marriage.

Then there is a friend who was in a business partnership where he would leave his share of the business on his death to the other, enter a woman, will changed, now other partner has to sell up to pay off the gold digger.

Third is sister in laws father, who remarried with a prenuptial agreement that the three daughters would receive their parents estate (all his property was obtained during his first marriage, 2nd marriage not a very long one).  On his death the gold digger wife is now contesting the prenup.

I've told my husband, its up to him if he has another woman after my death, but don't let her move in or near my kids inheritance, or i'll haunt him!!!!

Walter

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 07:50:34 PM »
I went to a girlfriend swapping party in my youth years ago , I came home with a socket set still got it :) 
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

mick607

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 08:41:24 PM »
I went to a girlfriend swapping party in my youth years ago , I came home with a socket set still got it :)
;D ;D ;D

sparky

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 07:21:34 AM »

Well at least the party gave you something to tighten your nuts  ;) ;)

Walter

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 07:50:10 AM »
:) :)
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 09:44:30 AM »
I wondered about line dancing agencies, but it seems I read it wrong.

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 11:07:59 AM »

Well at least the party gave you something to tighten your nuts  ;) ;)

I've had a few females who've tightened mine.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)