Author Topic: Will they never go back?  (Read 4072 times)

Walter

Re: Will they never go back?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 08:59:27 AM »
In my last 10 years working in Environmental Enforcement  for firstly an East London Council then moved a Council in North West of London I was able to work from home very often for at least 1 day and sometimes 2 days a week working 38 hours over 4 days not 5 ( every Monday off long weekends)

I would go into carry out my inspections of Commercial Waste and Household Waste , any investigations that had led to an interview under caution for a possible prosecution if not required to help out on HMO raids or planned operations with local Police, completed all the paper work at home on a Friday.

Go into work on the following Tuesday print off the paperwork, photographs, exhibits etc sign them and hand over to the Council Legal Department for them to say yes or no prosecute, saved me a 20 mile round trip no distraction or phone call you get constantly if at your desk.

It meant one less car on the road , less fuel used by me not stuck in traffic a two hour shorter working day for me as long as the work was done the Head of Department was happy so was I.

Work for many these days is no long close to home as it was in the past we now have to travel and sometimes long commutes every day, 24/7 we now live in a  24 hour world, especially in the Cities more people work anti social hours the essential workers we seldom see. 

More people will be able to work from home in the future either full time or part of the time only having to go into Head Office maybe one day a week or a couple of times a month , which will help our overburdened infrastructure crowded roads, trains buses underground etc.

Nothing stays the same it changes all the time , many people no get a job and stay in it for three or four decades come what may many are on the move every few years to find something better improve their lot or make it easier , as things change people have to change to go with it or be left behind .

“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

Glen

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 09:19:01 AM »
We have got to realise times have changed. Employees have proved they can work from home keeping jobs afloat. Yes people  can plan work around school runs etc but my own experience (yes I did it!) most work longer hours and are as productive if not more productive. If it stops the awful bottlenecks from single occupancy cars travelling a mile to work that's one good thing. All my children look like working from home long term.

xetog

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 09:22:15 AM »
Digitalis.  My son's company insists on putting a lot of IT work out to Indian companies, but they have to keep staff in the UK to iron out the faults in imported software.  Apparently it is still cheaper.  When I was working we used to send out lots of CAD work to the far east, but I had to employ a CAD guy in the UK to correct the many mistakes made because the operators in the Philippines had no background knowledge of the practical aspects of the work.  Apparently, it was still cheaper though.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Ashy

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 10:39:10 AM »
Surely only if written into their contract can it be a 'right', otherwise surely it would a matter for agreement between employer and employed?
Mike

It is not an absolute right, however the employee has the right to request it (flexible working) and the employer has an obligation to consider each request and give a fair response. There's a lot in it as usual but an employer who refuses can find themselves in the muck.

https://employernews.co.uk/hr/do-employees-have-a-right-to-work-from-home/

Walter

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 11:01:10 AM »
I agree 100%

GrannyMac

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 12:07:48 PM »
I had to ring our insurance company last week. We're with Direct Line partly because the operators are in the UK. My hearing issues aren't helped by strong accents.

They are working from their homes, and the two I spoke to did a great job. Now the telephony and IT infrastructures are in place, I agree it will lead to more home working.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

biglouis

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2020, 04:24:31 PM »
Ive had to contact both Paypal and Fedex since the lockdown began and both agents were working from home. I wonder how easy it was for woman who had kids in the background but thats obviously a temporary thing.

There is an ad on TV which shows a young woman "working from home" with two laptops and a baby on her knee. That does not give a good impression as no employer would want their staff to be having to manage like that. One of the greatest problems with WAH is the lack of separation between business and family life.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Glen

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 05:03:22 PM »
I wonder how easy it was for woman who had kids in the background but thats obviously a temporary thing.
This is the sort of comment which  drives my daughter to distraction. They have children not she has children. They have been WFH during the crisis and have shared the childcare. They are lucky to be able to do flexible working. One of my other children and wife have decided to use holiday leave to assist with their childcare plus "excepional days" gifted by one of the employers. But it's they not she.

GrannyMac

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 05:57:41 PM »
My son and daughter in law share the childcare whilst WFH too Glen. But they, like yours, are a two parent family.  Most lone parents are women, and that must sometimes be a difficult juggling act if also WFH!  Especially with a young child or two.

R. Gervais

mick607

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2020, 06:33:55 PM »
I was a single parent bringing up two kids on my own also working full time ,not all single parents are women.

Walter

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2020, 07:09:55 PM »
Exactly

Glen

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2020, 07:16:00 PM »
Even if you are a single parent there is a dad/mum somewhere. My neighbour left her kids with hubby. She collected them from school did their tea. When hubby got home she went to love shack.❤❤ Hubby gave her a year to change her mind but she never did. I know of quite a few similar cases. Doesn't mean it's the norm but what we should strive for if we have to.

GrannyMac

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 11:00:57 PM »
I was a single parent bringing up two kids on my own also working full time ,not all single parents are women.

True. Thats why I said most and not all.  ;)

R. Gervais

David G

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2020, 05:22:03 PM »
Is Rishi Sunak the chancellor having a laugh or is he just out of touch ?. On the five o clock Covid update he said
" people don't want to be at home on furlough " he thinks they'd rather be at work than at home sitting in the sun and being paid for it for a few more months. That is definitely not what I've heard.
Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

klondike

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2020, 05:24:52 PM »
I have it in mind that the employers have to pay 20% soon so that will be goodbye to furlough hello unemployment quick as a wink.
So long and thanks for all the fish