Author Topic: Britains Lazy Youth  (Read 766 times)

digitalis

Britains Lazy Youth
« on: May 27, 2020, 08:35:08 AM »
I think it was some 2 days ago that Farming Today said it was the first day of the picking season. The importation of foreign workers in to pick our crops was taking place. The reason why very few British people had been taken on was because they didn't want the work!! or that they weren't up to the speed of the job!!! Eh!! I thought many had already established lottsa British people had applied for the job but their application forms had been binned. Second point: If our locals are so lazy as compared to our Bulgarian workers,why am I sitting and talking with Aussie farmers and two British banana pickers in Mission Beach,Queensland 2019? Lottsa lazy young Brits out there picking various crops. Boiling too. And with snakes. Cant make it out. Why aren't the Aussie natives recruiting all from Eastern Europe where 'they work so much harder' Have our Aussie friends got knuckles in their heads or wot.
Have seen many English workmen hereabouts too. Seem like grafters to me. Mind you,neighbour opposite did have in some 'hard working' Polish workers some years back. Yup,did work hard. But then so did his young son.guestimate age of 10,who was lugging full packs o concrete around the front drive!

I remain confused by it all.

Ashy

Re: Britains Lazy Youth
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 08:39:10 AM »
Is that true, or did you hear it on the BBC?

klondike

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 08:41:04 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
So long and thanks for all the fish

Glen

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 09:01:52 AM »
Not my experience from a lot of my extended family and friends children. Many have set up their own firms and work long, long, long hours. Dare I say it more than the Primary Teacher on another thread who works harder than ANYBODY except doctors😡 sorry!!! They are tradesmen, employ young people and are back at work making money for the country. It's true that there are a lot of kids who would find manual work a shock after been playing on games for years. I had an allotment and saw loads of kids helping out at week-ends. Good exercise, learn about veg; I can fully recommend it! My own kids helped out with manual jobs around the home. Built patios, landscaped the garden using digger. Used pickaxeses to break concrete. All for a bit of extra pocket money. They can all learn to do it.

biglouis

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 04:30:27 PM »
Many people on this forum (including myself) have spoken of doing manual work as teenagers and young people. Have things changed so much?

I was 13 when I went on my first pea picking expedition. I can remember asking a woman working next to me "Where do you go to the toilet?" and she told me "Where you can find luv"
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 04:56:55 PM »
I don't want to cast any aspersions here but where does the 'organised crime' come into this? I read of farmers who turn the organisation of picking etc over to gang masters who ensure the job gets done and people get paid..These people do not welcome Brits to their work-force..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Jacqueline

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 05:08:27 PM »
I've said this before the lazy British worker myth is out there to justify bringing in foreign workers undercutting wages to pay peanuts that we can't live on.

richmond62

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 08:16:36 PM »
Every summer from 12 years on: up at 5 to feed calves.

Later stone-gathering, charlock weeding (that's a richt scunner), muckin out byres, baling hay, castrating lambs, dragging in for shearers.

Did me a lot of good, and I learnt some very useful skills forbye.

Raven

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 10:04:17 PM »
Every summer from 12 years on: up at 5 to feed calves.

Later stone-gathering, charlock weeding (that's a richt scunner), muckin out byres, baling hay, castrating lambs, dragging in for shearers.

Did me a lot of good, and I learnt some very useful skills forbye.

I still do some of that, farm life goes on. But I refuse to castrate the lambs, even this year when our helpers weren't able to come for lambing because of the virus. It was just Himself and me..

zoony

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 10:51:00 PM »
Raven..Surely with lambs it's just a matter of good technique and sharp incisors?   ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 11:44:41 PM »
My own kids helped out with manual jobs around the home. Built patios, landscaped the garden using digger. Used pickaxeses to break concrete. All for a bit of extra pocket money. They can all learn to do it.
I don't think it is being lazy just not built for the job. I have a grandson of 28, one of 16 and another aged 14. None have offered to raise their hand to do any job for me. I also have two strapping son in laws who prefer to play the x box and the other watch any type of sport on TV.
It would be great if one turned up on Saturday and said that he wants to re-felt the summerhouse roof, or maybe paint the 4 new fence panels, or get the jet wash out to clean the paths and patio.
In my household those jobs are mine and now of an age that they are getting harder to do.

As for pocket money the hardest day of the week is a Friday night when they start to queue up looking for their weekly allowance. Gee I even have to pay to put the diesel in one of my daughters car when she does some shopping for us! Her husband is on £170,000 pa as a lawyer in the city which all goes on me me me .

Glen

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 12:33:55 AM »
Goingtoseed.. they are not mind readers. You just might have to ask?  They are used to you coping and don't realise. Give a hint! Mine don't  earn anything like your daughter and hubby. Why offer petrol money?  I had an accident a few weeks ago. The cars been washed, lawn mowed, patio hosed and cakes and biscuits galore baked. I've had to say stop now I'm more mobile. They don't live too far away and that makes  a difference. If they knew they would feel terrible. Ask!

digitalis

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 07:47:06 AM »
Before I was 'educated' I walked around this ever multi-cultural land wondering where these new faces and new voices were coming here: thye seemed to be residents,even working...sending their children to school. There were black and Asian faces,south American faces too. Wot was happening? In small market towns there seemed to be influxes of foreign people from the most unlikely of places. Then I found out how it is all done...and as it was all explained last night with sad :( faces on channel four. A meat packing plant in Ireland had recruited 100s of employees from South America. Wot? Howcometherehere? Well,how it works is that they get here via Portugal which is an EU member,then as we're an EU member,the new worker is entitled with settled job to set up...well,anywhere...GB,Ireland,the lot. As we are part of a greater European Union with countries going as far as Bulgaria,other countries who had past historical links with Asia,Africa,S. America gave right to bring in quotas of many peoples. So...now the doors are open to all as I am as likely to see settled people from Mozambique to Brazil to Cambodia and Bangladesh all mixing and a-crowded in the towns and cities of the country. Now,no wonder our teachers have to work so hard so long to get this multicultural ram packed class all-a-speaking English. So sorry Peter and Mary(now aged 7 and 9),but Hernadez,Zmbogo, Zhang-Fsing and Abdul must be attended first to better learn English. Oh,and another apology,at 18 (Peter and Mary),you will also be seen as racist...and as you cant speak more than one language,opted out of getting any job in local,regional government work...cos,with the country now full o folk speaking lottsa languages,we need lottsa more foreign folk who understand foreign folk...their culture,religion,backgrounds etc. Yes,English/British folk...yer no longer welcome here!

The joke is on the natives! 

Glen

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 10:22:21 AM »
A meat packing plant in Ireland had recruited 100s of employees from South America. Wot?

But as some on this forum would say.. it's just business....

Jacqueline

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 11:40:59 AM »
Before I was 'educated' I walked around this ever multi-cultural land wondering where these new faces and new voices were coming here: thye seemed to be residents,even working...sending their children to school. There were black and Asian faces,south American faces too. Wot was happening? In small market towns there seemed to be influxes of foreign people from the most unlikely of places. Then I found out how it is all done...and as it was all explained last night with sad :( faces on channel four. A meat packing plant in Ireland had recruited 100s of employees from South America. Wot? Howcometherehere? Well,how it works is that they get here via Portugal which is an EU member,then as we're an EU member,the new worker is entitled with settled job to set up...well,anywhere...GB,Ireland,the lot. As we are part of a greater European Union with countries going as far as Bulgaria,other countries who had past historical links with Asia,Africa,S. America gave right to bring in quotas of many peoples. So...now the doors are open to all as I am as likely to see settled people from Mozambique to Brazil to Cambodia and Bangladesh all mixing and a-crowded in the towns and cities of the country. Now,no wonder our teachers have to work so hard so long to get this multicultural ram packed class all-a-speaking English. So sorry Peter and Mary(now aged 7 and 9),but Hernadez,Zmbogo, Zhang-Fsing and Abdul must be attended first to better learn English. Oh,and another apology,at 18 (Peter and Mary),you will also be seen as racist...and as you cant speak more than one language,opted out of getting any job in local,regional government work...cos,with the country now full o folk speaking lottsa languages,we need lottsa more foreign folk who understand foreign folk...their culture,religion,backgrounds etc. Yes,English/British folk...yer no longer welcome here!

The joke is on the natives!

The hardest thing to stomach is the natives believe this is good.