Author Topic: favoirite plate of food and a full glass of which wine !.....  (Read 630 times)

granny moss

For me : mixed english grill....the full monty...and a glass of best Montepulciano d'Abruzzo !!!    :D 8) gmx

Michael Rolls

Re: favoirite plate of food and a full glass of which wine !.....
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 12:09:35 PM »
A good, medium rare steak - actually, a little better done than medium rare, but if you ask for well done in most restaurants of my acquaintance, that tends to be what one gets, with mushrooms, onion rings and chips. The wine? Come with me on my time machine back to 1960 when to accompany that main course I indulged in a bottle of Bouchard Pere & Fils Chambertin 1955. I kid myself I can taste it to this this day, but it made me understand Hilaire Beloc's famous quote 'I forget the village, I forget the girl, but the wine was Chambertin
Looked up Bouchard & Fils a few years ago and, obviously, no 1955 still around, but its nearest equivalent, depending on interpretation was either £55 or £200 a bottle.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

sparky

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 12:15:49 PM »
I would want a night with the waitress that poured it  as well for 200 quid.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 12:29:44 PM »
I would want a night with the waitress that poured it  as well for 200 quid.
Sadly, all the staff were male.
It was a lovely little restaurant, sadly long gone,opposite, for those who know the area. to Hampton Court's Lion Gates. Back then, I still lived at home in Hampton, worked in Kingston, and every now and then I would phone mum not to bother with food for me, get off the bus and pop into the restaurant I have described. Main course would be followed with  some sort of sweet accompanied by half a bottle of Sauterne or Barsac (don't forget, table wines were considerably less alcoholic back then, a change I deplore.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 03:39:43 PM »
I really don't like the taste of wine, any wine. I'll settle for fish and chips with a bottle of Tizer.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Raven

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 05:24:17 PM »
I like a nice medium steak with a side salad and a few chips. I don't drink so it would be lemon water for me.

Walter

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 05:58:27 PM »
I like my steaks rare however I can have steak and chips at home , if going to a good restaurant I would choose Hake, with a nice big glass Riesling , or stuffed Cuttlefish Greek style
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 06:04:16 PM »
Sirloin steak for tea tonight, new potatoes, mushrooms, onions, garden peas.  OH will have a Rioja with his, I'm not a fan of red, so I'm having a glass of Pinot Grigio now, whilst he cooks.  😋
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais