Author Topic: will we ever?  (Read 309 times)

Michael Rolls

will we ever?
« on: Jun 03, 2020, 09:35:47 PM »
Trust anything again? Just finished sanitising the goods Tesco delivered this evening, pining for the days when you bought something and did whatever with it, without wondering where it had been, who might have handled it, etc. One exception from the good old days, I would never, ever drink stright from a beer bottle - who knows where it might have been stored and whether a rat had peed on it?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

Re: will we ever?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2020, 10:06:41 PM »
I wouldn't go eating peanuts then  Mike.. ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2020, 10:23:58 PM »
Never do. Can’t stand them. If fact, I dislike just about all nuts. Oh, I dislike the bowls of nuts and the like you see on bar counters. Who’s hands were in the dish before one’s, and where might they have been?
Mike
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2020, 10:48:40 PM »
I was dubious about dates after being told by my grandfather about them being sun dried rather closer to the camels than hygienists would recommend. Mind you I think it was during WW1 that he must have witness that.
So long and thanks for all the fish

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2020, 10:58:34 PM »
My dad used to bake his own salted peanuts in a dry, hot, cast-iron frying pan and salt them as they baked. In my memory they were a delicious treat until I discovered normal salted peanuts.. I've eaten them salted in the shell, and sucked on those shells from barrels in country music bars in the US to Spanish bars in Spain and really have no hygiene issues with them. I've also drunk from many a beer bottle without noticeable effects other than the obvious. I figured out long ago that we were equipped to deal with normal bacteria after I ate my childhood peck o' muck. Twice-baked in a pie, as is the custom hereabouts.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

granny moss

« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2020, 06:09:44 AM »
Micky was in Africa (Desert rats...Montgomery...etc...) and he told me that he would never eat dates...Because they were transported on small carts, and the flies covered them....and when the cart stopped, the flies flew off like a small cloud...and then they all flew back again to land on the dates.... ::) gmx

Ashy

« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2020, 09:12:49 AM »
I have seen tomatoes picked and left in the sun to dry out, and what puts me off them is the lack of sanitation of any description for the people who pick them. I expect the sun kills any sort of residual germs but you have to give anything like that a good wash.

Alex22

« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2020, 10:20:01 AM »
Yuk, it's a wonder we all survived to the ripe old age we have :)

Scrumpy

« Reply #8 on: Jun 04, 2020, 11:33:41 AM »

Yuk, it's a wonder we all survived to the ripe old age we have :)

Could it be that we were all out in the sun without protection back then.. and the sun has preserved us.!!
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.