Author Topic: chlorinated chickens, what are the health risks, ??  (Read 1485 times)

Alfred

chlorinated chickens, what are the health risks, ??
« on: Jun 04, 2020, 08:02:44 PM »
It seems we are on course to receive chlorinated chicken from the U.S

is it safe ? what are the risks,  what happens to our own home grown chickens, which have graced the tables for many many years,

will it cause health problems and more importantly what if any are the  side effects if these chickens are eaten,

Q; have you any points of view regarding chlorinated chickens, if so will you share your thoughts with us,

Walter

Re: chlorinated chickens, what are the health risks, ??
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2020, 08:11:51 PM »
As I understand it all it means the chicken is washed in chlorinated water to kill bacteria , they add chlorine to drinking water for the same reason, some of the prepacked salads we buy in the Supermarkets are washed in chlorine water .

“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

richmond62

« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2020, 08:14:09 PM »
I don't think Americans who eat chlorinated chickens are either less or more healthy than people who don't. After all, every country
allows its food producers to fool around with various things which may be detrimental to health.

Probably the safest bet it keep your own hens and pull their necks and pluck them when you feel an urge for some meat,
and if you cannot deal with that (which is no fun at all, having killed several hens myself) then you'd better be a vegetarian
and worry about the cr*p market gardeners spray their plants with.

klondike

« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2020, 08:15:24 PM »
The controversy from what I can make out is more one of animal welfare than human health. The suggestion being that poorer hygiene standards onfarms can be disguised by this process.
So long and thanks for all the fish

richmond62

« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2020, 08:21:25 PM »
Well, to be fair, I've seen some bl**dy mucky farms in Britain (2 last year in Fife).

Walter

« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2020, 08:24:07 PM »
Simple answer is if you don't like the idea of eating chicken washed in a solution of chlorinated water don't buy it

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2020, 10:39:20 PM »
The chlorinated chicken hoo haa was started by the Remainers & the lefties to have a go at Donald Trump & Boris Johnson when they were talking about trade deals.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Bee

« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2020, 11:03:43 PM »
About a couple of years ago I watched a film on television where a British investigator filmed in a poultry plant in the US, it was to show the public how the chickens are chlorinated, watching the chickens being chlorinated was bad enough as far as I was concerned....it was the hygiene practices that disgusted me, the poultry plant was absolutely filthy, the floor had filthy water all round it and no one seemed to know the meaning of the word hygiene and that was enough for me to never buy any food stuff whatsoever imported from the U.S.A......... and before you start your usual battle cry Phil, it has nothing to do with me being a remainer or a leftie as you like to call us,apart from the fact I don't want to eat foodstuff that has been chlorinated, it is also to do with the lack hygiene....
The only way is up....

Jacqueline

« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2020, 01:44:58 AM »
Chickens lives matter too, nobody cares what miserable little lives they lead before somebody kills and eats them.

Walter

« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2020, 09:04:22 AM »
If you buy prepacked salad grown and packed in the UK they will washed in chlorinated water , if you grown your own and water them from a tap connected to your water supply same, when you wash any food stuff under the tap the same .

Personally wife and I only buy meat produced in the UK or Ireland, we do not buy much chicken anyway wife does not eat chicken.

Ashy

« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2020, 09:18:43 AM »
Chickens lives matter too, nobody cares what miserable little lives they lead before somebody kills and eats them.
Although I do eat chicken, even fresh chickens are killed and plucked by machine these days in the majority of cases. They are hung by their feet on a conveyor and their head is dipped in an electric bath. Most are dead at this point. A rotating knife cuts their throats and further on the feathers are removed by a thing like a car wash. Now if you can tolerate that a little clean water is not going to hurt you.

Glen

« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2020, 09:44:54 AM »
My son worked in chicken factory when at uni during hols. Never ate meat for months afterwards and I'm sure I'd be the same.

I prefer to buy free range or organic. No I'm not rich but I know  how to  stretch meals via soup and risotto etc. A chicken lasts ages.

There was a item  on news where they interviewed American poultry farmers. They said we want to export. We can rear poultry to standards required by any country. I agree, if it comes here you don't have to buy it. I've been to America and must have eaten it and didn't know. Looking at Americans does it make you fat?

klondike

« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2020, 10:10:58 AM »
It isn't just chickens bred for meat. Those producing eggs have longer pretty awful lives. Our eggs are unwashed by law. American eggs are washed by law. Same basic reason their chicken meat is washed in chlorinated water.

If you want to eat either eggs or chicken cheaply then expect the producers to maximise profit. Don't run away with the idea that free range eggs, are produced by happy hens running around a barnyard either.

I eat both eggs and chicken by the way. It's up to others to decide whether or not they will but if you reject them on animal welfare grounds then you'd better reject all farm reared animals and boil up lentils instead.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Jun 05, 2020, 10:21:05 AM »
It isn't just chickens bred for meat. Those producing eggs have longer pretty awful lives. Our eggs are unwashed by law. American eggs are washed by law. Same basic reason their chicken meat is washed in chlorinated water.

If you want to eat either eggs or chicken cheaply then expect the producers to maximise profit. Don't run away with the idea that free range eggs, are produced by happy hens running around a barnyard either.

I eat both eggs and chicken by the way. It's up to others to decide whether or not they will but if you reject them on animal welfare grounds then you'd better reject all farm reared animals and boil up lentils instead.
Next door to me is a chicken farm producing free range eggs. There are 9,000 chickens running around not a farm yard but a field of about 50 acres, planted with 1,500 trees. They go inside to lay - don't know what the correct term is, but they have the chicken sized equivalent of social distancing! I have toured the place at the farmer's invitation - I wouldn't eat my meal off the floor, but it is hard to imagine a more hygienic set-up
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #14 on: Jun 05, 2020, 10:25:31 AM »
OK that's clearly a good one but the regulations allow worse conditions. They can all just be in a huge barn.

My son takes chickens and keeps them in his garden after their commercial life is ended. When he gets them they are in a pitiful condition. The term pecking order has a very real meaning to commercial chickens.