Author Topic: holidays in the U.K.in future ?,  (Read 1692 times)

Jacqueline

Re: holidays in the U.K.in future ?,
« Reply #15 on: Jun 14, 2020, 08:55:09 PM »
Holiday lets can stand empty for half the year but the council charges business rates on them 24x7x365 and if mortgaged the bank charges interest on the loan 24x7x365 too. Plus a holiday let usually includes bedding and furniture and is cleaned before you turf up there.

Doubtless there is a profit to be had of course. If there wasn't there would be no holiday lets.

Hop accross the Channel and  you can get a Gite in France for less than half the price of here, why would you pay British prices?  Even a week in a caravan is expensive.

Until 18 months ago we went away in our little camper for about £25 a night, but because of ill health it has to go I'm looking for self catering accomodation and I'm shocked by the prices. Theres only two of us and its just a place to sleep, going to look at Travelodge type places but not until its safe whenever that will be.

klondike

« Reply #16 on: Jun 14, 2020, 09:39:01 PM »
Premier Inn prices vary for each day. We visit my wife's sister in Aberdare and two nights is about £120. That is just the room and no food at all. It's a tad cheaper at weekends in that one.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Flying bomb

« Reply #17 on: Jun 15, 2020, 06:13:08 AM »
Roberts coaches are now booking for day trips 2021.

If the Buck stops here how can the Doe go all the way ?

Albert.

Ashy

« Reply #18 on: Jun 15, 2020, 07:44:57 AM »
I can't think of a good reason for keeping holiday lets and static caravans closed so I hope they will be open again soon.

klondike

« Reply #19 on: Jun 15, 2020, 09:36:03 AM »
That won't get shot of me. I'll use 4G.  :)

Walter

« Reply #20 on: Jun 15, 2020, 09:56:53 AM »
We have not taken holidays in the UK for at least 20 years, reason being we have visited most places we have wanted to in the past and the cost involved, far cheaper to hop on a cheap flight for a week or ten days in the sun, than a weekend in a UK.

As and when we are unable to travel to places due to our age or health we have never been to before outside of the UK, then we will have to holiday closer to home.
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

Ashy

« Reply #21 on: Jun 15, 2020, 07:28:46 PM »
I like to take holidays in England and the sooner we can do it again, the better. How about it Boris.

biglouis

« Reply #22 on: Jun 16, 2020, 01:06:16 AM »
My sister and brother in law manage a caravan park in Crystal Palace so I can stay there free anytime I want. They just stick me into one of the vacant vans or chalets although I may have to move to another if it gets booked. They are hoping to be able to open up again soon.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Ashy

« Reply #23 on: Jun 16, 2020, 08:46:38 AM »
They are hoping to be able to open up again soon.
Very pleased to hear it, it shouldn't be too long now.

biglouis

« Reply #24 on: Jun 16, 2020, 02:18:44 PM »
One of the reasons I like London is its full or antique markets. However there is no beating the Paris fleamarket. You can spend days there, as I frequently have. Plenty of restaurants. toilets, shippers, money change agents and anything you could want.

I can recall spending a day there and not coming back until 9 0clock in the evening (met some dealers and went for a meal). One of the idiots in our party had left a bag with all her travel checks, money and passport on the floor under a table and then gone off and left it. When they went to the police to file a report the police spoke no English (or so they claimed) and they had to wait for someone to come and translated for them, which took hours. Too late to go to the British Embassy to apply for an emergency passport. Of course I was made to feel BAD because I had not been with them and none of them spoke French.

Next morning I advised them to get to the British Embassy as early as possible and to spend a lot of time queuing, waiting, answering questions and filling in forms.

"But surely you arn't going to leave us again? We dont speak French."

"Ive got some really good news for you. They speak English at the British Embassy so Im off to the fleamarket again."

Needless to say the atmosphere for the remainder of the stay in Paris was distinctly cool. Fortunately the fleamarket is open all through the weekend.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #25 on: Jun 16, 2020, 02:38:05 PM »
I can never understand folk going on holiday abroad without at least a grasp of essentials in the foreign tongue. Sadly shouting loudly and slowly at Johnie Foreigner seldom works - they are SO dense!
Mike 😊😊
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Walter

« Reply #26 on: Jun 16, 2020, 03:20:37 PM »
:) :)

Last time I was in Spain the waitress could not understand me. 10 days later I went into my local pub and she was behind the ramp and she still could not understand me  :)
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

klondike

« Reply #27 on: Jun 16, 2020, 05:01:04 PM »
They are hoping to be able to open up again soon.
Last I heard my site is expecting to reopen on 4th of July.

Bobcat

« Reply #28 on: Jun 16, 2020, 05:15:39 PM »
Not so sure about holidays in the UK either

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53064512

biglouis

« Reply #29 on: Jun 17, 2020, 12:31:03 AM »
I can never understand folk going on holiday abroad without at least a grasp of essentials in the foreign tongue.

That was why I disappeared to the antiques market because I found myself acting as an unpaid tour guide showing a bunch of people around Paris and doing all the organizing and translating!

Originally a friend wanted to come with me. Then she invited a friend because I told her she would be on her own a lot of the time. Then she invited a friend - the lamebrain who left her bag under the seat.

That was why I stopped travelling abroad with other people because they are such a liability.