Author Topic: Cut benefits and increase cigarette tax.  (Read 896 times)

brian54

Re: Cut benefits and increase cigarette tax.
« Reply #90 on: Jun 28, 2020, 07:56:22 AM »
I had people complaining me about getting carers allowance as I was getting an occupational pension. A few days ago somebody said I should pay for my prescription. Prescriptions are age related and not means related.

Scrumpy

« Reply #91 on: Jun 28, 2020, 07:59:58 AM »

I'm not bragging about anything.

I'm not bragging about anything... ;D

It sure sounds like bragging to me. You tell us how much money you are claiming for on a regular basis..  You tell us how you share your (wealth) with family members..
Don't think of a caterpillar dying..Think of a butterfly living.

[email protected]

brian54

« Reply #92 on: Jun 28, 2020, 08:09:16 AM »

I'm not bragging about anything... ;D

It sure sounds like bragging to me. You tell us how much money you are claiming for on a regular basis..  You tell us how you share your (wealth) with family members..

I share my money with my daughters and granddaughters and Andy and Peter. I don't share it with a relative who kept saying I was a fool to pay in to a pension. He can starve as far as I am concerned. I donate some to health charities as well. I give beggars free advice ie get a job.

Ashy

« Reply #93 on: Jun 28, 2020, 08:51:30 AM »
I think the answer probably lies in perhaps raising the tax on cigarettes a bit, to discourage consumption, and possibly reviewing benefits to ensure that they are not excessive. This would improve the nation's health and encourage unemployed people to get a job and improve their own lot.
Run your compliments through a mangle to make them flatter.

klondike

« Reply #94 on: Jun 28, 2020, 09:22:35 AM »
A few days ago somebody said I should pay for my prescription.
You apparently meet an enormous number of rude, nosey, ignorant and vociferous people in your dreams Brian. Try refraining from eating cheese before going to bed as that may help.

Target. Believe 6 impossible things before breakfast.

GrannyMac

« Reply #95 on: Jun 28, 2020, 10:26:29 AM »
I think the answer probably lies in perhaps raising the tax on cigarettes a bit, to discourage consumption, and possibly reviewing benefits to ensure that they are not excessive. This would improve the nation's health and encourage unemployed people to get a job and improve their own lot.

Some of the volunteers at our shop smoke. They don't buy cigarettes, too expensive for those on basic UC, they make rollups. Rizlas and tobacco. 
'Man's inhumanity to man, makes countless thousands mourn!'

Burns

Goingtoseed

« Reply #96 on: Jun 28, 2020, 12:16:30 PM »
Of course it's a loophole, it's one of many loopholes in the PIP legislation which has just as many shortfalls that prevent a person from qualifying.

All legislation has loopholes, otherwise lawyers & clever accountants would go out of business.

The fact that a loophole is part of legislation doesn't mean it's not a loophole.

As the lawyer known as Mr Loophole will explain to you.

P.S. This is the test for PIP & shows how it's awarded & the ridiculous prescriptive options from which to choose.

https://bit.ly/3i8HZwO

First of all I would be the first to agree that the descriptors of PIP are absolutely ridiculous. However with a little imagination they can be translated into scenarios that the DWP/Government did not think of.
Carers Allowance has it's basis in the old Invalid Care Allowance. There are only two conditions that must apply for a claim to be successful. The first is that the claimed for person has been awarded Attendance Allowance at any rate or DLA Care element at the middle or higher rate or PIP Care element at any of the two rates (Enhanced or Standard). The second condition is that the Carer claims that they provide care for at least 35 hours a week and that the cared for person agrees to them making the claim.
No evidence has to be provided, no care plan or even a list of the type of care given.
The DWP readily accept that they are not able to police these claims and therefore must rely on the honesty of the claimant and the cared for person.

It has been tried many times by the DWP during appeals where PIP/DLA/AA have been claimed but have been refused. The DWP have tried to argue that someone claiming Carers Allowance cannot possibly be disabled enough when trying to claim PIP/DLA/AA - they can't be disabled at the same time as being a carer for 35 hours a week.
These arguments have been shot down by the Tribunals as not relevant to the proceedings. For that argument to hold water it is for the DWP to provide evidence that the care is not being provided as claimed for or if it is then the PIP/DLA/AA claim is fraudulent.
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2020, 12:30:24 PM by Goingtoseed »

Goingtoseed

« Reply #97 on: Jun 28, 2020, 12:26:36 PM »

Currently a packet of cigs cost on average 10 for 20.
It has reached that price over the past 5/6 years when the price was just under 6 a packet of 20.
Even if the price was to go to 20 a packet do you honestly believe that will make any difference to the consumption rate?
Yes it would mean another 10 for the Treasury, but surely some or most of that increase will go on medical treatment for the smokers. You could say then that smokers are paying for their own medical help. On the other hand a quick visit across the English Channel provides me with cheap smokes all year round and not a penny is handed over to the UK government.
Cut benefits? Who would suffer? Children and the vulnerable more so than any other members of society. Do you want that on your conscience?

Diasi

« Reply #98 on: Jun 28, 2020, 12:33:35 PM »
You could probably get Attendance Allowance which could mean you could get some help, maybe with housework, to give you more time with your wife.

I discovered that there are ways of filling in these forms (when claiming for my mother who had dementia).  Citizen's Advice helped me but I think Age UK help too.

The Attendance Allowance is paid to the person who needs care, in our case my wife & she doesn't qualify as she's under State Pension age.

It's Carer's Allowance that's paid to the carer but I don't qualify as I'm over State Pension age.

It's age-based sheer pot luck what a carer gets or doesn't get.

https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2020, 12:38:52 PM by Diasi »
Make every day count, each day is precious.

Brexit Has Happened. Jog On.

Disclaimer: I may be wrong as it's only something I've read on the internet

Goingtoseed

« Reply #99 on: Jun 28, 2020, 12:55:14 PM »
The Attendance Allowance is paid to the person who needs care, in our case my wife & she doesn't qualify as she's under State Pension age.

It's Carer's Allowance that's paid to the carer but I don't qualify as I'm over State Pension age.

It's age-based sheer pot luck what a carer gets or doesn't get.

https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance

In which case a claim for PIP would be appropriate as she is under 65.

Carers Allowance is still paid to a carer even if that carer is in receipt of the SRP. It comes as an increase to any Pension Credit claim that they make. However with only one part of the couple being over 65, it would be correct that they claim Universal Credit instead of Pension Credit. Carers Allowance is also paid as an addition to that award irrespective if one of the claimants is over 65.

Diasi

« Reply #100 on: Jun 28, 2020, 12:56:10 PM »

In which case a claim for PIP would be appropriate as she is under 65.

Carers Allowance is still paid to a carer even if that carer is in receipt of the SRP. It comes as an increase to any Pension Credit claim that they make. However with only one part of the couple being over 65, it would be correct that they claim Universal Credit instead of Pension Credit. Carers Allowance is also paid as an addition to that award irrespective if one of the claimants is over 65.

She already receives PIP but you can forget Pension Credit or Universal Credit as we don't qualify.
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2020, 01:01:06 PM by Diasi »
Make every day count, each day is precious.

Brexit Has Happened. Jog On.

Disclaimer: I may be wrong as it's only something I've read on the internet

Goingtoseed

« Reply #101 on: Jun 28, 2020, 03:36:13 PM »
She already receives PIP but you can forget Pension Credit or Universal Credit as we don't qualify.

That's fine then. The issue I have is with the government in that far too many people who could claim but don't through ignorance of what their rights are.

To me it is a disgusting state of affairs when I am told quite candidly that the DWP know who should be getting the help but flatly refuse to do anything about it. Their stock answer is that it is for the claimant to find out and make a claim and not for the government to tell them.
Ironically the DWP have funded AgeUK to act as their agent for this specific reason. But then you have to know all about what you are entitled to or could claim before you go to see AgeUK to get a claim underway. Not that many would walk into the AgeUK's offices to ask 'is there anything that I can claim for to get more money?' You have to know what exists before you can ask the question.