Author Topic: Cut benefits and increase cigarette tax.  (Read 5397 times)

klondike

Re: Cut benefits and increase cigarette tax.
« Reply #15 on: Jun 22, 2020, 12:40:36 PM »
Sleepy cat is hiding somewhere in my computer,but I can never resurrect him when I need him,despite Klondike's and Diasi's efforts to help me.
I tried a few for you but you settled on this one...

So long and thanks for all the fish

Alex22

« Reply #16 on: Jun 22, 2020, 12:55:56 PM »
I told you so, but you won't listen.....

em

« Reply #17 on: Jun 22, 2020, 01:01:16 PM »
That's the one,Klondike.Thanks again for your patience!

em

« Reply #18 on: Jun 22, 2020, 01:03:37 PM »
Sorry Alex,but I'm a bit deaf.What did you say?

Ashy

« Reply #19 on: Jun 22, 2020, 01:18:46 PM »
A tabby cat does seem appropriate.

Ashy

« Reply #20 on: Jun 22, 2020, 01:20:26 PM »
I told you so, but you won't listen.....

My wife has a PhD but she still pushed the stop button half way down the conveyor in Sainsbury's.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #21 on: Jun 22, 2020, 07:20:06 PM »
An excellent way to reduce benefits and increase taxation would be to introduce a new law making blind trusts transparent to the tax and benefits people and allowing them to assess folks with full knowledge of their true assets.

But by definition a trust is a legal entity. As such, and in the main, the value of a trust is not part of a person's true asset value. You might as well say that my daughters' must disclose what is in our wills as it belongs to them.

klondike

« Reply #22 on: Jun 22, 2020, 07:27:37 PM »
Governments make the laws though. They can redefine any tax evasion measures to remove their advantage and certainly should.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #23 on: Jun 23, 2020, 05:38:10 AM »
Governments make the loopholes they want too.

brian54

« Reply #24 on: Jun 23, 2020, 11:32:19 AM »

But by definition a trust is a legal entity. As such, and in the main, the value of a trust is not part of a person's true asset value. You might as well say that my daughters' must disclose what is in our wills as it belongs to them.

Your daughter can not say anything in your will belongs to her. It may have to be  used to pay care fees for example.

Ashy

« Reply #25 on: Jun 23, 2020, 12:41:59 PM »
Yes and of course you might change your will. Until you actually pass on the will means virtually nothing. Even then a court can re-draught it, if challenged.

biglouis

« Reply #26 on: Jun 23, 2020, 02:26:58 PM »
Judging by the remarks made here I suspect that many of you are secretly envious of the way in which GTS has managed to arrange his financial affairs so as to get as much out of the system as possible. Most (if not all) of us here have contributed huge amounts to the community so I see no sense in continuing to allow oneself to be robbed blind by a corrupt system if you have the knowledge to prevent that.

I dont have GTS knowledge of the benefit system. 3 years ago I did place my tax/accounting affairs in the hands of a cousin (by marriage) who used to work for HMRC.  Consequently he knows all the loopholes and now enables companies to minimise their tax obligations. That was a big eyeopener for me.  His fees (mates rates) are worth every penny I pay him.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #27 on: Jun 23, 2020, 03:36:05 PM »
Governments make the laws though. They can redefine any tax evasion measures to remove their advantage and certainly should.

Of course they can and I and many others including past Prime Ministers, most of the House of Lords members and many Royals would challenge such actions. It is not classed as evasion but quite legal avoidance.
Any politician wanting to put forward a bill to unwind these types of systems would have a hard job in getting any support - most MP's are in deep with avoidance schemes which as I say are completely legal and are not intentionally set up to avoid tax or other financial aspects - that is a side effect and not the original intention.

mick607

« Reply #28 on: Jun 23, 2020, 03:37:22 PM »
Judging by the remarks made here I suspect that many of you are secretly envious of the way in which GTS has managed to arrange his financial affairs so as to get as much out of the system as possible. Most (if not all) of us here have contributed huge amounts to the community so I see no sense in continuing to allow oneself to be robbed blind by a corrupt system if you have the knowledge to prevent that.

I dont have GTS knowledge of the benefit system. 3 years ago I did place my tax/accounting affairs in the hands of a cousin (by marriage) who used to work for HMRC.  Consequently he knows all the loopholes and now enables companies to minimise their tax obligations. That was a big eyeopener for me.  His fees (mates rates) are worth every penny I pay him.
I envy no one BL.GTS likes to post his affairs on here just to rub peoples noses in it.Talk about Pi$$ take.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #29 on: Jun 23, 2020, 03:39:30 PM »

Your daughter can not say anything in your will belongs to her. It may have to be  used to pay care fees for example.

Well Brian you are right, but it is most unfortunate that neither my wife or myself have any money in our names other than just enough to cover the funeral costs for both of us. Brassic I say Brassic!