Author Topic: When the black dog bites....  (Read 870 times)

granny moss

When the black dog bites....
« on: Jun 23, 2020, 07:14:28 AM »
Sometimes, when I realise how fortunate and blessed I am, I start thinking of all the ills of this world....So, I make myself a nice cup of tea or coffee, and I choose a nice movie to watch. Again and again, my favourite one to shift my mood, is Enchanted April....Lovely...Beautiful story of two ladies renting a small castle by the sea in Italy in April...Beautiful...Best actors in it. And the atmosphere of the place is enchanting ! I then go to bed and I am assured of having soothing dreams....What do you do to disperse your bad thoughts when and if they try to take your mind over ? Interesting to know. gmx

Michael Rolls

Re: When the black dog bites....
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2020, 07:19:55 AM »
I go out for a drive - before lockdown I would drive up into the hills for a couple of hours, perhaps call in for a cup of coffee somewhere. As therapy it was two-fold. Firstly, I had to concentrate on my driving rather than sit around in the empty house feeling sorry for myself, and secondly the sheer beauty of the land was calming. At the moment, of course, I'm not even allowed to do that and I have to admit that my frustration levels are ratcheting up over time
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Alex22

« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2020, 09:43:59 AM »
I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like to watch Peter Kaye when I'm  feeling fed up, he always makes me smile again.

firenze

« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2020, 01:10:07 PM »
Alex I agree ref Peter Kaye, his humour is direct and always a good.  Comics are too clever or unkind in today's world, at the day's end we just need humour that is not too clever or unkind but raises a laugh.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Sheila

« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2020, 02:25:58 PM »
Micky Flanagan's stories make us laugh, especially the one were he is going to India and says he will be fine because he has been to Spain.  I can watch that one over and over again .

David G

« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2020, 02:30:20 PM »
Unfortunately I was overlooked when sense of humour was handed out. I find certain things /situations amusing but stand up comedians no.
Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Ode Iron

« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2020, 10:05:21 PM »
It depends Granny, music does the job- if i am in the mood. I adore old films and watch loads on YouTube...High Treason is a great 50's movie starring Geoffrey Keen and Kenneth Griffiths. If the weather is good..i potter in this huge place- always summat to do. But a pint mug of tea...some bicci's and a b&w film does the trick.
Masks are muzzles

zoony

« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2020, 10:25:01 PM »
Ode..I'm intrigued by your 'huge place'..I'm assuming that's ironic?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Ode Iron

« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2020, 10:27:43 PM »
Nope Zoony...this place is big..and still with this shoulder..and all the kids gone..it is down to me...still i can moan- fill the swear box in one swoop without anyone tabbing( nottm slang for listening.)
Masks are muzzles

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Jun 23, 2020, 10:29:26 PM »
Unfortunately I was overlooked when sense of humour was handed out. I find certain things /situations amusing but stand up comedians no.

Similarly, if some film is billed as a 'comedy' it's automatically discarded as my idea of comedy seems to be different from most..My excuse is that I'm a churl..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.