Author Topic: rhubarb,  (Read 317 times)

Alfred

rhubarb,
« on: Jun 24, 2020, 07:49:28 AM »
rhubarb was one dessert  that i never liked even though many people including my wife loved it., you don't even see it on super market shelves, only grown as far as i know on allotments,

my favourite was apple pie and either custard or ice cream ,

Q;what was your favourite dessert. 

GrannyMac

Re: rhubarb,
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2020, 07:55:07 AM »
I like rhubarb, our little greengrocer had some for sale recently.  Last time I had some was last year at our sons, there's some in their garden, and I made a crumble.  My husband prefers apple.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Sheila

« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2020, 08:07:43 AM »
I remember having some rhubarb chutney that a friend had made.  It was delicious.

We used to grow rhubarb on our allotment but like Alfred, I don't like it very much.

The thing I miss most about the allotment is the asparagus.  I bought a packet of seeds and grew little plants.  My husband dug a bed, put horse manure down and then put some soil back on top.  I put the plants in and they were a great success.  When my grandchildren were young we used to go and cut it and then go straight home and give it a bit of a boil.  They loved it.

Anyone with young grandchildren - plant a big pot of peas and let the children pick the peas, pod them and eat them raw.  It keeps them quiet for ages!

Raven

« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2020, 11:43:45 AM »
Love Rhubarb, used to have some in the Kitchen Garden when we were growing up. We used to get a wee paper bag with some white sugar in and a stick of Rhubarb to dip in it. I would love hot rhubarb pie and cream.

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2020, 12:52:08 PM »
We had rhubarb in the garden too..I think everybody did in those days. Morrisons do rhubarb pies but they skimp on the filling and the base pastry's soggy..Not a good pie.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

biglouis

« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2020, 12:55:27 PM »
We also grew rhubarb on my fathers allotment and I used to love it stewed with custard. I also loved rhubarb and gooseberry pies (not together)
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2020, 02:36:43 PM »
Veronica used to make various crumbles. Rhubarb crumble with custard was second only to apple and sultana crumble with custard for me. We differed over custard; for me , if you couldn’t eat it with a knife and fork it wasn’t proper custard, whereas Veronica preffered it in liquid form
Mike 😋😋
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Alex22

« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2020, 02:39:01 PM »
I'm not a lover of rhubarb but I do like apple crumble, that's probably my favourite, with custard.