Author Topic: Is Italy next ?  (Read 1747 times)

Alex22

Re: Is Italy next ?
« Reply #30 on: Jun 27, 2020, 04:22:39 PM »
Me neither ! 

Scrumpy

« Reply #31 on: Jun 27, 2020, 04:24:54 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Akbuk

« Reply #32 on: Jun 27, 2020, 06:47:35 PM »
Unfortunately MEP elections are a long way off & its those elections that will gradually be the death knoll for the EU. Eurosceptic MEPs currently hold about a third of the posts in Brussels, each election they gain more seats, anywhere near a majority and the Commission will become dormant. After all, what national Governments are going to offer their citizens an in/out referendum? 
I’m a real he/him.

klondike

« Reply #33 on: Jun 27, 2020, 07:08:30 PM »
The entire European Parliament could be Eurosceptic and it wouln't make a ha'porth of difference. The Parliament has no power and no influence. It is a pretence that the EU is democratic.

All that can put paid to it is the people of Europe waking up to the fact that they've been taken for a very long ride and change their national parliaments into ones that will drag them out of the whole rotten ediface. As we did.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Akbuk

« Reply #34 on: Jun 27, 2020, 07:44:55 PM »
The entire European Parliament could be Eurosceptic and it wouln't make a ha'porth of difference. The Parliament has no power and no influence. It is a pretence that the EU is democratic.

All that can put paid to it is the people of Europe waking up to the fact that they've been taken for a very long ride and change their national parliaments into ones that will drag them out of the whole rotten ediface. As we did.

I disagree, the Executive & the EU Parliament are two different EU Institutions. When MEPs go to Strasbourg they go there to vote, they can vote any proposal down, the Europhiles currently have the numbers.
As said, I don’t see any current National Government offering a referendum on the issue, except maybe the likes of Hungry.
I’m surprised that the EU itself hasn’t come up with a Directive to ban referendums.
I’m a real he/him.

granny moss

« Reply #35 on: Jun 27, 2020, 07:56:57 PM »
You must have been very strong and knew how to deal with the bullying.. All I used to do, was cry. My mother used to comfort me and My daughter used to say, You are beautiful and they are envious...Do not take any notice ! I found then that some women can be bitchy and some men a real pest. I am glad that I have the gift of painting, and I can immerse my thoughts into all those lovely colours.gmx

klondike

« Reply #36 on: Jun 27, 2020, 09:14:27 PM »
When MEPs go to Strasbourg they go there to vote, they can vote any proposal down
the commission always finds a way around inconvenient rejections wherever they come from.

The Parliament is unable to actually introduce any legislstion. That's the unelected by the public commission.

Akbuk

« Reply #37 on: Jun 27, 2020, 10:59:01 PM »
the commission always finds a way around inconvenient rejections wherever they come from.

The Parliament is unable to actually introduce any legislstion. That's the unelected by the public commission.

I’ve always been under the impression that there are three EU Institutions that make decisions. The Commission, the Council of the EU & the EU Parliament.
Whilst pro EU National Leaders are elected, I don’t see them offering a referendum to their citizens for fear of losing. Cameron was slated for doing just that & he himself was pro EU.
I’m a real he/him.

klondike

« Reply #38 on: Jun 28, 2020, 09:53:31 AM »
The Commission rules the roost. Certainly their plans can in theory be voted down but they always seem to get what they want - remember the European Constitution - voted down but just about all the parts hidden away in treaty changes later.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3637751/The-Euro-constitution-is-sneaking-in-by-the-back-door.html

It is possible but I think unlikely that other counties will follow us out of the door. The current rows about bailouts for those hit by Coronavirus are more likely to start a split than anything offered to electorates to allow them a choice.