Author Topic: Who,s next to step up.  (Read 422 times)

Goingtoseed

Re: Who,s next to step up.
« Reply #15 on: Jun 28, 2020, 03:24:28 PM »
Incidents like this one, the way police treated a respectable father and son just out on a bike ride, may be the reason why some black people feel unfairly treated.  I don't disagree about the behaviour of some asylum seekers and other immigrants.  But my granddaughter is the same age as this boy, I wouldn't be thrilled if the police did that to her when she was just riding her bike with her dad. 
 https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/28/black-teenager-on-family-cycle-ride-injured-during-aggressive-police-arrest

To me you are thinking along the lines that specific classes/gender/race are targeted by the police. Believe
me they are not on the whole.
Back in the late 70's I had met up with an old friend of mine that I had not seen for years. We had left the pub (about 10pm) and were taking a short cut to his home through some fields and woodland.
Suddenly we surrounded by approx. 10 police officers who started shouting at us. Knowing that we had done nothing wrong we carried on walking assuming that it wasn't us that they were shouting at.
Anyhow they rushed down to where we were and were quite intimidating in that I had one directly behind me and one right in my face. It would appear that they had the wrong people as they were following up a burglary that had just happened locally and we fitted the descriptions given - age, colour and clothing.

I argued that we had done nothing wrong and suggested that they step aside and allow us to continue on our way. With that the one behind me grabbed me round the neck whilst the one in front put his size 10 boots on my soft shoes. It was painful to say the least (it later transpired that after a visit to the GP a week or two later that I had a damaged big toe nail which to this day still gives me problems) Eventually and after a great deal of arguing, threats of arrest and them being advised over their radio that the actual culprits had been found and arrested  I was released along with my friend.
No apology was given as they all walked away and back tracked the way they had come. My faith and trust in the police from that day on was lost. I am a very law abiding individual but from that day I have avoided all contact with the police force and any problems that I have had have been sorted out in other ways.

David G

« Reply #16 on: Jun 28, 2020, 03:30:14 PM »
Going by the picture If I was asked to describe them I'd say the father is without doubt black and the son is mixed race so it would be possible to describe them as black if you had been in a stressful situation.
Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Ashy

« Reply #17 on: Jun 28, 2020, 03:56:00 PM »
I've been stopped by police for matching the description of someone. On another occasion my car was surrounded by at least six armed officers pointing machine guns at me. My friends, it happens.
Run your compliments through a mangle to make them flatter.

zoony

« Reply #18 on: Jun 28, 2020, 04:56:58 PM »
I was arrested in LA cos the police thought I was someone I wasn't..Spent a very long weekend in the county jail..
" There ain't no Devil, it's jus' God when he's drunk.."

Tom Waites

Alex22

« Reply #19 on: Jun 28, 2020, 05:10:20 PM »
I take it they were after a Brit then ?  did you ever find out what the crime was  ?    I've never been arrested, but I've been pulled over by the police for speeding.

granny moss

« Reply #20 on: Jun 28, 2020, 05:21:50 PM »
When very young in Italy,when the Allies were occupying our City, I was walking home with my husband Micky from an evening spent with friends. Micky could not speak italian yet. He was in uniform.  These four italian guards stopped us and wanted me to go to the police headquarters not far from my home. I absolutely refused to go, unless my mother was coming with me. They hesitated and thought better of it and let us go. I was furious.! I now wonder what they had in mind. I told them I was an English citizen and they would have a lot of trouble if they touched me ! gmx

zoony

« Reply #21 on: Jun 28, 2020, 06:26:46 PM »
I take it they were after a Brit then ?  did you ever find out what the crime was  ?    I've never been arrested, but I've been pulled over by the police for speeding.

Oh yes. The victim of the ARMED ROBBERY, bandaged head an' all leaned in the police car window and said "That's him"!..I was looking at 8 to 12 years.. They weren't looking for a Brit specifically but I had little time to say anything, sprawled as I was over the bonnet of the patrol car with handcuffs on. The whole thing became quite a saga.

Tom Waites

klondike

« Reply #22 on: Jun 28, 2020, 07:39:50 PM »
More impressive than my brush with the German police while working there then. We had gone the wrong way up a one way street to park near our hotel and they rushed up and ordered me out of the car.

Problem was it was a British car and I was the passenger. I'm not sure if they didn't fancy the paperwork or were just embarrassed. Either way they just told us to be more careful in future and let us go. Just as well as while not drunk I doubt my partner in crime would have passed a breathalyser.

Target. Believe 6 impossible things before breakfast.

zoony

« Reply #23 on: Jun 28, 2020, 09:16:15 PM »
I can imagine the scene.  ;D  What's the German word for DOH!

Tom Waites

em

« Reply #24 on: Jun 28, 2020, 10:08:12 PM »
Mensch is the polite one.Others would be censored.

zoony

« Reply #25 on: Jun 28, 2020, 10:52:00 PM »
When I was a kid it was always "Ach du Lieber!" or "Himmel!".. ;D

Tom Waites

em

« Reply #26 on: Jun 28, 2020, 11:16:26 PM »
Both very polite.Scheiss is somewhat less polite.

zoony

« Reply #27 on: Jun 28, 2020, 11:19:51 PM »
Yes but I got my German from kids comics.. ;D

Tom Waites

Akbuk

« Reply #28 on: Jun 28, 2020, 11:20:25 PM »
I've always wondered if a Mary told a Joesph this day and age that she got pregnant that way.......what would young Joe say? ??? ?

zoony

« Reply #29 on: Jun 29, 2020, 12:33:30 AM »
Prove it?

Tom Waites