Author Topic: RAF flies Corona virus aid to Africa.  (Read 1545 times)

Diasi

Re: RAF Flies Corona Virus Aid To Africa.
« Reply #15 on: Jun 27, 2020, 08:10:10 PM »
Those weren't my words Zoony, I should have added a link, Africa News I think it was.  The last Nato General part was mine. :) I'll have to dream up a smiley face for when my sarcasm escapes.

Yes, I'd worked that out which is why my reply was harsh & to the point as it's what I'd have said to Stoltenberg's face.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ashy

Re: RAF flies Corona virus to Africa.
« Reply #16 on: Jun 27, 2020, 08:15:31 PM »
Usually when foreign aid is mentioned contributors say we should send sweet foreign aid to the world, but this is an emergency situation for many countries. However I don't know what practically we can send given that we have neither a cure nor vaccination. Perhaps a consignment of coloured armbands is the solution.

Diasi

« Reply #17 on: Jun 27, 2020, 08:18:47 PM »
Usually when foreign aid is mentioned contributors say we should send sweet foreign aid to the world, but this is an emergency situation for many countries. However I don't know what practically we can send given that we have neither a cure nor vaccination. Perhaps a consignment of coloured armbands is the solution.

Well let each country sort out it's own bit of the emergency.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Diasi

« Reply #18 on: Jun 27, 2020, 08:22:32 PM »

Isn't this part of the British culture we all want to keep? Looking after the underdog, helping those less fortunate, etc?

In a word, no.

It doesn't help as it just keeps them dependent.

Give a man a fish or teach him to fish is a good saying.

stellamaris

Re: RAF flies Corona virus aid to Africa.
« Reply #19 on: Jun 27, 2020, 08:47:43 PM »

I'd just been thinking of the kindness shown on a small scale by people in stella's area baking cakes for asylum seekers, but I suppose they're snowflakes who are also virtue signalling.   I take klondike's point re mass and illegal immigration colouring views.

That wasn't me GrannyMac.  I think it was Sheila - both 6 letter S names.  I hope you don't think worse of me  ;D ;D ;D  Baking and me have never met so I had to 'fess up. ;D
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Diasi

« Reply #20 on: Jun 27, 2020, 09:30:20 PM »

I'd just been thinking of the kindness shown on a small scale by people in stella's area baking cakes for asylum seekers, but I suppose they're snowflakes who are also virtue signalling.

They undoubtably are do-gooders & I would imagine are not to too far removed from the snowflake category, but that alone doesn't make them virtue-signallers so long as they don't pass comments about those who don't bake cakes for asylum seekers, as that would make them virtue-signallers.

klondike

« Reply #21 on: Jun 27, 2020, 09:32:23 PM »
Sounds complicated  :)
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

« Reply #22 on: Jun 27, 2020, 09:33:46 PM »
Sounds complicated  :)

That's what I thought as I was typing it but I didn't want to waste my effort. ;D

GrannyMac

« Reply #23 on: Jun 27, 2020, 11:32:24 PM »

That wasn't me GrannyMac.  I think it was Sheila - both 6 letter S names.  I hope you don't think worse of me  ;D ;D ;D  Baking and me have never met so I had to 'fess up. ;D

Oops, you're right of course.  Apologies to Sheila too.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

GrannyMac

« Reply #24 on: Jun 27, 2020, 11:37:05 PM »
Judging by the responses I suspect not. This lack of compassion is a direct result of mass and illegal immigration imo

And yet, we appear to have the lowest percentage of applications approved, and we aren't very welcoming according to the article below.  So how do we get that message across to those already in Europe who are itching to come here?   If the two who murdered and injured people this week hadn't come to the UK those men would still be alive, the police officer and numerous other people wouldn't be injured.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/01/britain-one-of-worst-places-western-europe-asylum-seekers

R. Gervais

biglouis

« Reply #25 on: Jun 27, 2020, 11:59:50 PM »
Given that we have a massive housing crisis for people who were born in this country and have paid taxes here all their lives we are right to make it difficult for those who were not born here and have made no contribution to the community. They should stay in their own countries and work or fight for better conditions,
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #26 on: Jun 28, 2020, 12:35:47 AM »
If we, as a nation, can help another we should. Class 101 in good diplomatic relations. Anybody remember 'honour-bound' as a concept? We have myriad treaties and agreements across the globe, some historical but still binding, that either restrict or allow trade and commerce and all the complicated etceteras that go with these things and most rely on good faith to flourish as they have always done. They're not based on 'shouldas, wouldas or ifs. They're concrete things which have to be considered and sometimes our access to minerals might involve building schools or piping water so 'we' do that because we agreed to, in some dusty deal done in a far off place on a long ago day. I'm not sure whether people know how foreign aid works when it eventually percolates down to village level and I'm also sure that some is diverted into already-stuffed pockets but I'm also convinced that it's not unnoticed nowadays and funds are traceable as never before. Not that any of that changes a whole helluvalot but foreign aid is something to be proud of not begrudge..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #27 on: Jun 28, 2020, 07:18:32 AM »
Given that we have a massive housing crisis for people who were born in this country and have paid taxes here all their lives we are right to make it difficult for those who were not born here and have made no contribution to the community. They should stay in their own countries and work or fight for better conditions,

Whilst they're being bombed, of course they should. 😕 There's a massive housing crisis in London and other expensive parts of the UK.  There are also thousands of empty homes across the country.  Liverpool was selling some off for a quid, as was Stoke.   That was how the families managed to settle in Bute, empty homes because the local population had shrunk.  https://www.1843magazine.com/journeys/notes-from-a-small-island-the-syrian-refugees-who-went-to-bute

I'd prefer that those who actually contribute are the ones who benefit.  If some of those happen to be from minority ethnic backgrounds, I don't care.  But we don't need more of the others, we've enough of those of British stock already.  But my point was about getting the message about how bad it is here to those who are trying to enter illegally then be stuck in the limbo of claiming asylum.

If we don't start to educate properly, and I don't mean academically, then life for the worst off won't improve.  Much better to teach about finances, contraception, personal responsibility than algebra or RE to kids who only know a life on benefits with chaotic family lives, often including 'who's the daddy'? Some estates are rife with households like that.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #28 on: Jun 28, 2020, 07:27:58 AM »

And yet, we appear to have the lowest percentage of applications approved, and we aren't very welcoming according to the article below.  So how do we get that message across to those already in Europe who are itching to come here?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/01/britain-one-of-worst-places-western-europe-asylum-seekers

Because the Guardian publishes rubbish to fit it's agenda.

If the UK was so bad we wouldn't need to expel illegal immigrants, they'd be packing the beach at Dover waiting for a rubber dingy to take them back to Calais & they'd have phoned their relatives to tell them not to come.

sparky

« Reply #29 on: Jun 28, 2020, 07:54:29 AM »

Isn't this part of the British culture we all want to keep? Looking after the underdog, helping those less fortunate, etc?

The most important part of British culture I want to keep, is  remembering charity begins at  home. So before we use taxpayers money to fund projects from all around the world. look after the needy in the UK, and if all these do gooders still  feel the need to spend money helping other far away countries, let them put their money where their mouths are, and fund the projects with their own donations.