Author Topic: crazy, crazy, crazy  (Read 4194 times)

Scrumpy

Re: crazy, crazy, crazy
« Reply #30 on: Jun 29, 2020, 07:06:40 PM »
If a person is pleased with what they have purchased it doesn’t matter where they bought it from..
It certainly wouldn’t worry me if I was wearing a Primark frock.. I
I’d be well chuffed that I got a bargain...
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Sheila

« Reply #31 on: Jun 29, 2020, 07:08:48 PM »
When we went to Sri Lanka, there was a factory making clothes for M&S.

My mum bought a pair of shoes.  One of them was made in Portugal and the other in Sri Lanka!

Alex22

« Reply #32 on: Jun 29, 2020, 07:17:34 PM »
In order to buy from Primark the window display would have to draw me in.  Great for cheap T shirts etc, but their market is teenagers and young women, who obviously don't mind queuing at 5 am.  I'm a TK Maxx kind of girl, plenty of bargains for old birds in there  :)

Scrumpy

« Reply #33 on: Jun 29, 2020, 07:22:03 PM »
When we went to Sri Lanka, there was a factory making clothes for M&S.

My mum bought a pair of shoes.  One of them was made in Portugal and the other in Sri Lanka!
My mum bought a pair of shoes . One made in Portugal the other in Sri Lanka.

Did they point different ways.. ?
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Raven

« Reply #34 on: Jun 29, 2020, 07:28:29 PM »
In order to buy from Primark the window display would have to draw me in.  Great for cheap T shirts etc, but their market is teenagers and young women, who obviously don't mind queuing at 5 am.  I'm a TK Maxx kind of girl, plenty of bargains for old birds in there  :)

I don't buy any clothes here, but when I go back to Perth I love a good nose through Bonmarche and Matalan. I like George in Asda as well. So I return up to Thurso with a heap of new stuff for us both.

Alex22

« Reply #35 on: Jun 29, 2020, 07:48:47 PM »
My nearest Bon Marche store closed down last year unfortunately,  but we've got a massive Matalan close by.  I miss shopping, just having a mooch.

biglouis

« Reply #36 on: Jun 29, 2020, 08:50:00 PM »
I like loose exotic kaftans and buy a lot of them on the USA site of Ebay. The prices are incredibly low so I often buy 3/4 at a time. They send them to my shipper in Oregon and when I am shipping a batch of auction stock for the business they consolidate everything into one large package. I get great deals on Fedex and DHL from the shipper so they only take 3 days to get here.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Alex22

« Reply #37 on: Jun 29, 2020, 08:57:27 PM »
I bought a top once from a US based company called Zulily but by the time it arrived I was a size bigger  :)

klondike

« Reply #38 on: Jun 29, 2020, 09:09:21 PM »
Postal costs from US on eBay put me off buying most things. I did once buy a gadget as it was cheaper even including post.
It was faulty.
The seller asked me to return it and refunded the mail charge as a partial refund and sent another.
That was faulty and returned too.
He tried to stiff me by only refunding the residue of the original payment.

I did get the full money owed back somehow but don't recall exactly how - probably a credit card charge back. It put me off dealing with the US again - that bloke could have given the Chinese lessons on how to wriggle out of refunds when they send rubbish.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Jacqueline

« Reply #39 on: Jun 30, 2020, 01:11:06 AM »
Nearly all of the goods we buy are made in Shri Lanca, china Korea, Portugal, etc etc. It is very difficult to find items made in Britain. M&S seem to use Shri Lanca a lot. Shoes are mostly made abroad...I bought a lot of my shoes in Italy, and some are hardly used. They will go to charity shops....Norwichhad many shoe factories, but nearly all gone, now. Such a waste of good skills. What went wrong ? Greed, I think, or other forces we do not know,caused the demise of so many wonderful crafts. It is all so sad. gmx

I take a size 2 shoe.  Not many English firms made my size but Italian shoes did and always used to fit, I had some lovely pairs when I was young there was a stall in Wembley market that used to import them.  Its the devils own job to find a size 2 these days, I rarely throw any out as its so difficult to find a new pair.

I may have said this before, I worked for a shirt factory called Sussmans back in the 1980s, they made shirts for M & S, who back then stocked British made clothes.  My husband still has a couple from those times, wonderful quality, then they started buying from abroad, quality has gone down and down over the years, and poor old Sussmans went out of business putting many women out of a job.

I'm sure GM will agree, the lovely fabrics we used to have, the quality of them, modern fabrics are rubbish by comparison.

And I bet the youngsters that buy from Primark, who are out on protests for all their noble causes dont give a thought to the poor machinest in Sri Lanka, sweating away for a pittance so they can have cheap throw away fashion.

zoony

« Reply #40 on: Jun 30, 2020, 01:22:34 AM »
Sadly Jac, that "pittance" keeps many families alive..But that's bye the bye..I was listening to a report recently about the resurgence in small British companies opening, with local machinists that they've trained up to make 'stuff'. Some originating in the new-found sewing skills involved in mask making but there are small British companies making stuff and trying to survive and doing it well so Buy British Again should be the cry..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Bee

« Reply #41 on: Jun 30, 2020, 03:46:49 AM »
Because I take a 1/2 size in shoes with extra wide fitting the best shoes I find for both size, fit and comfort and which I have never had a problem with are Hotters Shoes.

Hotters were established in 1959 with a large shoe factory in Lancashire.

About Hotter....

https://www.hotter.com/gb/en/info/AboutUs

The only way is up....

Michael Rolls

« Reply #42 on: Jun 30, 2020, 06:11:53 AM »
Veronica swore by Hotter shoes, as does her sister, and I have a couple of pairs myself. Excellent quality
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Bee

« Reply #43 on: Jun 30, 2020, 06:15:39 AM »
That is good to hear Mike, I would recommend them to any one and would never buy any other make.
The only way is up....

Michael Rolls

« Reply #44 on: Jun 30, 2020, 06:48:54 AM »
Me too. I have a pair of their slippers, nearer a light weight shoe than a traditional slipper. Present from Veronica about seven years ago. Wear nothing else on my feet indoors and perfectly happy going out with the bins, or going into the garage, etc in them. Worn every day and almost all day and still as good as new
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!