Author Topic: They just don't get it.  (Read 1453 times)

biglouis

Re: They just don't get it.
« Reply #15 on: Jun 29, 2020, 04:37:40 PM »
I can recall some years ago telling a neighbour i was going away for 2 weeks and asking if she could keep an eye on my house and see there was no mail sticking out the door. I used to do the same for her. When she asked me where I was going I did not tell her it was a Nile cruise. I just told her quite truthfully that my sister managed a caravan park in London. "Oh that will be a nice change for you".

I prefer my neighbours to know as little about me as possible and there is no sense in rubbing their noses in it by flaunting a flashy lifestyle. Some of my neighbours have very showy cars but if I did drive I would buy a very boring one in a dull colour.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Jacqueline

« Reply #16 on: Jun 30, 2020, 01:27:04 AM »
 Even if I were rich I'd have trouble getting in and out of a Farrrari.

zoony

« Reply #17 on: Jun 30, 2020, 01:33:35 AM »
 ;D  I know exactly what you mean. Which is why I drive a car I can enter and exit with minimum effort..Been there and got that tee-shirt as a young 'un..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #18 on: Jun 30, 2020, 06:14:28 AM »
Never lusted after a Ferrari nor Maserati, but a Mk II Jag, XK120 orE-Type. Well, one can but dream
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #19 on: Jun 30, 2020, 07:22:54 AM »
Even if I were rich I'd have trouble getting in and out of a Farrrari.

And me.  My son had a Lotus when he was younger, getting in was fine, it was the getting out that was difficult.  And I wasn't even a pensioner then. 😊
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

xetog

« Reply #20 on: Jun 30, 2020, 08:56:14 AM »
When I was in my 30's I had one of the last V12 E types.  It was a drop head in bright red with huge, fat, chrome wire wheels and would reach 150 on the motorway (illegal by then) without fuss.  I must admit, whilst they can keep their supercars, if I see an e-type it still tugs at my heart strings.

Mike.X

PS also one of the most unreliable cars I have ever had. :'(
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: Jun 30, 2020, 09:02:41 AM »
Just over a year ago there was an elderly XJ6 on sale at the local garage - and I had to drive past it every day. At only £5,000 it was so tempting - but common sense prevailed (unfortunately 😒) as I remembered the old adage of the time, that if you bought a Jag you really ought to buy two so you still had something to drive whilst the other one was off the road!
Mike

David G

« Reply #22 on: Jun 30, 2020, 09:21:54 AM »
Just over a year ago there was an elderly XJ6 on sale at the local garage - and I had to drive past it every day. At only £5,000 it was so tempting - but common sense prevailed (unfortunately 😒) as I remembered the old adage of the time, that if you bought a Jag you really ought to buy two so you still had something to drive whilst the other one was off the road!
Mike
Unlike my 20 year old Mondeo  which just keeps going. The only time I had a problem was when the battery failed.

Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Diasi

« Reply #23 on: Jun 30, 2020, 09:53:44 AM »
Their money,  they earned it,  didnt scrounge off government or anyone else so they can spend it as they wish

Yes, I was about to post exactly the same before I saw your post.

Personally I have no interest in super cars or even new cars, all I want is a reliable car that will get me from A to B as & when necessary.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

David G

« Reply #24 on: Jun 30, 2020, 10:16:46 AM »
With me it's snobbery in reverse. Where I live they compete for who has the latest model. They probably think I'm bringing the area down, I think I'm running a reliable classic car. :)
Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

klondike

« Reply #25 on: Jun 30, 2020, 10:22:38 AM »
If a car doesn't break down and keeps passing its MOT without any major expenditure then I see little point in replacing it. Same goes for my penny farthing bike and steam powered lawn mower  :)
So long and thanks for all the fish

David G

« Reply #26 on: Jun 30, 2020, 10:32:26 AM »
If each neighbour pays me £5000 I'll move away.

klondike

« Reply #27 on: Jun 30, 2020, 10:49:01 AM »
If one paid me £5,000 I'd get a newer car. If they couldn't stretch to that I might be able to get one for £500.  :)
So long and thanks for all the fish

David G

« Reply #28 on: Jun 30, 2020, 10:55:44 AM »
It has to be £5000 off each of them here, that'd give me £80K , I could move away and keep my beloved Mondeo. It moves like the proverbial off a shovel.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #29 on: Jun 30, 2020, 12:11:55 PM »
Every now and then, for want of anything better to do, I sit back and muse over the cars I have owned. The most comfortable, without a shadow of doubt was the 1964 Wolseley 6/110 I bought in 1971 for £295. The front seats were big, soft, leather armchairs with armrests and the suspension made just about any road feel like smooth tarmac (quite a feat in some places). It had two drawbacks - the early power steering was VERY sensitive at anything over about 50 and the consumption - on a good day -was 13mpg. Let the air filters get dirty and that was down to 11mpg - and in town 9mpg! The worst was the 1500 Maxi - dead broke at the time - paying for the divorce from my first wife - its predecessor, a rather nice V4 Corsair expired on a motorway and had to be replace PDQ - and the Maxi was all that I could afford locally. Awful device - absolutely gutless.
Overall for the combination of ride comfort, space and performance, my best was probably a 2 litre Mazda 626 auto in the mid 90s. If it wasn't for its - by comparison -  slightly harsh ride, very noticeable on the tatty roads around here - the present Mondeo would run it very close, perhaps even edge it out.
Mike