Author Topic: They just don't get it.  (Read 1451 times)

Raven

Re: They just don't get it.
« Reply #30 on: Jun 30, 2020, 12:22:18 PM »
Every now and then, for want of anything better to do, I sit back and muse over the cars I have owned. The most comfortable, without a shadow of doubt was the 1964 Wolseley 6/110 I bought in 1971 for £295. The front seats were big, soft, leather armchairs with armrests and the suspension made just about any road feel like smooth tarmac (quite a feat in some places). It had two drawbacks - the early power steering was VERY sensitive at anything over about 50 and the consumption - on a good day -was 13mpg. Let the air filters get dirty and that was down to 11mpg - and in town 9mpg! The worst was the 1500 Maxi - dead broke at the time - paying for the divorce from my first wife - its predecessor, a rather nice V4 Corsair expired on a motorway and had to be replace PDQ - and the Maxi was all that I could afford locally. Awful device - absolutely gutless.
Overall for the combination of ride comfort, space and performance, my best was probably a 2 litre Mazda 626 auto in the mid 90s. If it wasn't for its - by comparison -  slightly harsh ride, very noticeable on the tatty roads around here - the present Mondeo would run it very close, perhaps even edge it out.
Mike

You a fan of big cars then? :)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #31 on: Jun 30, 2020, 12:25:22 PM »
six foot tall and long legged for my height, small cars kill my back. When, years ago, my own car was in for service and I had to use a pool mini, I had to stop every ten miles and get out to ease my back  and overall it is worse now than it was back then (1970s)
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #32 on: Jun 30, 2020, 12:27:00 PM »
On the subject of 'long legged'. My next door neighbour is about 1/2" shorter than me, but when we both sit down, his eye-line is about 2" higher than mine
Mike

Raven

« Reply #33 on: Jun 30, 2020, 12:30:24 PM »
My other half is just over 6ft, and he calls me "Short Arse" as I'm only 5ft 3in  ::)  He's always had Land Rovers for as long as I can remember and I love the 4x4s as well. Should be getting my Yeti tomorrow.

klondike

« Reply #34 on: Jun 30, 2020, 12:31:26 PM »
I've noticed that you sometimes see oddly proportioned people with legs that either look too short or too long for their body size. That's what comes of sitting on benches at the seaside drinking a coffee and watching the world go by.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Raven

« Reply #35 on: Jun 30, 2020, 12:32:12 PM »
I've noticed that you sometimes see oddly proportioned people with legs that either look too short or too long for their body size. That's what comes of sitting on benches at the seaside drinking a coffee and watching the world go by.

Have you been spying on me? ;D This is were I like to sit and watch the ocean after I've walked the dog, usually have a small flask of coffee too.

klondike

« Reply #36 on: Jun 30, 2020, 12:42:44 PM »
Have you been spying on me? ;D
It's my wife that has the expensive tri band varifocals and Jesus binoculars. (Jesus because that's what I said when I saw the price tag).
So long and thanks for all the fish

Raven

« Reply #37 on: Jun 30, 2020, 12:46:40 PM »
It's my wife that has the expensive tri band varifocals and Jesus binoculars. (Jesus because that's what I said when I saw the price tag).

Aye, new glasses should come with a Government Health Warning on some when you get the bill.  ;D

Mike Rolls, you should know where that round table and benches are. ;D

Michael Rolls

« Reply #38 on: Jun 30, 2020, 01:14:23 PM »
I guess I should - but can't place it . We went to a lot of lovely empty beaches (apart from us and Fleur who was a dab hand in lowering the tone - even worse than me). One of our favourites was on Mull and Dunan Bay was another favourite, but I don't recall any tables on either of those. Can't be Oban because the best beach there banned dogs - Fleur threatened to tear up the notices!
Mike

Raven

« Reply #39 on: Jun 30, 2020, 01:37:21 PM »
It's Dunnet Beach.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #40 on: Jun 30, 2020, 05:00:40 PM »
Ah - been there, but never saw a table
Mike

Raven

« Reply #41 on: Jun 30, 2020, 05:18:43 PM »
You must have gone down the wooden stairs to the beach then, just behind the Sea Drift Building. We go the other way through the gate about 20 yards to the right of the Sea Drift. and head over the grass.

Alex22

« Reply #42 on: Jun 30, 2020, 06:21:24 PM »
Either of you ever visited Arisaig ?  that was my favourite place in Scotland, but that was many years ago.  There was nothing there except white sands and a boat slipway.

Raven

« Reply #43 on: Jun 30, 2020, 06:39:53 PM »
No never, it's not in an area I go too. I have been over to the West Coast several times the last few years, meeting the Calmac Ferry when it comes into Ullapool from Stornoway. My ex SIL now lives on the island and I often put the kids onto the ferry or collect them returning from visiting him.