Author Topic: card games,  (Read 133 times)

Alfred

card games,
« on: Jun 29, 2020, 10:14:59 AM »
Because of the lockdown, i wonder how many people have sat at the table simply playing cards,
and there's many card games to play ,a person on their own might most likely play patience, where as in a group bridge comes to mind,for others possibly cribbage , even bridge, or pontoon,

Q; so have you a pack of playing cards, if so what are your favourite card games,?

GrannyMac

Re: card games,
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2020, 11:02:06 AM »
I used to play bridge, loved it.  I've learnt to play chess during lockdown, have a game most nights. 
'Man's inhumanity to man, makes countless thousands mourn!'

Burns

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2020, 12:04:58 PM »
I play solitaire and chess against the computer several times a day. Must admit to being so insecure that I play chess at a level where I always win easily, then from time to time feel guilty and play at a level which really stretches me - but usually still win
Mike aka Spoilt brat
The older I get, the better I was!

Raven

« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2020, 12:59:11 PM »
I'm not a fan of card games, but when I was growing up, an evening of having folk round for a Beetle Drive was all the rage and I loved it.
I detest Arrogant Know It All's, who argue for the sake of it...

klondike

« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2020, 01:20:29 PM »
When I was on shift work we played a game called Eights during breaks. The winner wasn't honoured but the loser had to wear a carefully constructed headdress with a giant phallus sticking out from the forehead until the next session.

I recall something big going wrong and the manager having to come in early. When he did somebody, luckily not me, was wearing the cоck.

Target. Believe 6 impossible things before breakfast.

GrannyMac

« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2020, 02:12:52 PM »
I play solitaire and chess against the computer several times a day. Must admit to being so insecure that I play chess at a level where I always win easily, then from time to time feel guilty and play at a level which really stretches me - but usually still win
Mike aka Spoilt brat

My OH has taught me, and although he assures me he isn't very good he keeps winning. 🤔     I've been playing online, but the hardest player wipes me out too quickly, and the moderate one isn't much of a challenge.

Burns

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2020, 02:13:25 PM »
I'm not a fan of card games, but when I was growing up, an evening of having folk round for a Beetle Drive was all the rage and I loved it.

Those are great fun, I enjoyed them too.

Burns

biglouis

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2020, 04:55:59 PM »
I play chess and solitaire against the computer several times a week.

I learned to play poker, brag and blackjack in school but I am not a card fanatic. Probably just as well since I once lived in Las Vegas for a year. First time I visited the city I was at an academic conference. Someone said "You cant come to Vegas and not gamble." I bought $20 worth of chips, played til I lost then walked away.

I guess thats what they mean by "gamble responsibly" which they keep saying on TV for all these gambling apps. I cant see any point in them myself because you dont even get the atmosphere.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2020, 05:01:12 PM »
I/We gigged twice in Las Vegas and wasn't tempted at all. Excellent and cheap food and accommodation if you don't gamble..
" There ain't no Devil, it's jus' God when he's drunk.."

Tom Waites

biglouis

« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2020, 09:02:46 PM »
I used to love the buffets there. They were excellent value.But because Im not a big eater I used to pick what I wanted first and then dodge around the backs of the slow greedy people who were loading their plates with everything on offer. A few people glared at me for doing that but a buffet is designed for people with different eating styles. The slow grazers cause logjams and the smart eaters decide beforehand what they want and then swoop into the gaps.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2020, 09:39:31 PM »
The smart people don't eat at buffets..imo, they're dangerous unless fresh..I'm happy with a bag of chips and a beer..Not easy in a gambling mecca.. ;D
" There ain't no Devil, it's jus' God when he's drunk.."

Tom Waites

Jacqueline

« Reply #11 on: Jun 30, 2020, 12:44:44 AM »
I have wonderfully happy memories of playing Rummy with my parents, my aunt and my kids in the 1980/90s. We played a few times after dad died but it wasnt the same and we stopped.  I haven't played cards since.

Scrumpy

« Reply #12 on: Jun 30, 2020, 08:45:59 AM »

I loved playing cards with the grandchildren.. They learned pretty quickly and outsmarted me many a time..   I avoid playing with sore losers...   
Don't think of a caterpillar dying..Think of a butterfly living.

[email protected]