Author Topic: Pre Pandemic times  (Read 480 times)

brian54

Pre Pandemic times
« on: Jun 29, 2020, 12:56:09 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/only-6percent-of-public-want-life-to-return-to-pre-pandemic-times/ar-BB1659Ei?li=BBoPWjQ

I have no objection to a stronger economy being built but I do object to pensions or part pensions being taken to create more equality. I have 2 relatives who have always lived on the state and I would object to them being given extra at the expense of other people and they think family members with pensions should share them. Happily their sons and daughters have not followed their parents and now have jobs in the NHS.

I also object to the rubbish some people come out with when they say London workers should not retire to Birmingham. I am still paying tax to the UK government and helping with my granddaughters so their parents can go to work in the Birmingham hospitals.

No Birmingham trader has refused to take my London Pension money. 

Raven

Re: Pre Pandemic times
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2020, 01:04:09 PM »
Lucky You, try forgetting to change your notes to English ones before you head south. Most refuse to accept Scottish Banknotes. Fair makes my blood boil.

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2020, 01:09:04 PM »
Sorry to hear about the difficulty with Scottish bank notes. Not sure if they are legal tender through the Kingdom, I suspect it's up to individual traders, it is the same currency after all. I know they are equivalent in Blackpool because you get them in change sometimes.

brian54

« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2020, 01:11:30 PM »
Lucky You, try forgetting to change your notes to English ones before you head south. Most refuse to accept Scottish Banknotes. Fair makes my blood boil.

A friend of mine has just retired from Edinburgh and come to Birmingham to re join his family. He has bought a good occupational pension with him so as far as I am concerned he will be more than welcome in Birmingham.

klondike

« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2020, 01:12:04 PM »
Just wait a while and those Scottish notes will have gone to be replaced by Euros should the First Minister have her way. I'm not sure who will be getting the bill for fortifying Hadrian's Wall.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2020, 01:24:38 PM »
I googled it. Scottish banknotes are not legal tender but they are legal currency anywhere in the United Kingdom.  However a business (presumably any legal person) may decide what currency they will accept, for example many shops are rejecting cash at present. Must be saving them a fortune in cash handling. Not that that would influence them.

klondike

« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2020, 02:02:32 PM »
They get charged for credit card transactions too. I think debit is either free or cheaper as HMG charge for renewing car tax using a credit card. I thought they made that illegal at one time.

Ashy

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2020, 03:30:29 PM »
I agree that shops have to pay for card transactions, because some small shops cannot accept them or only for reasonable amounts of dosh. I had a conversation with a proper shopkeeper in Southend once, must have been in the 1990s he said they were charged £3 for a card transaction, whereas I could get cash out of the wall for nothing. I sound like Brian.

klondike

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2020, 04:06:02 PM »
It isn't £3 now for sure. If it's anything like PayPal for small players it will be a nominal fixed amaount plus a small percentage. Bigger shops get better deals.

Ashy

« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2020, 06:24:42 PM »
Some of the big shops are also banks.