Author Topic: how to cook,  (Read 524 times)

Alfred

how to cook,
« on: Jun 29, 2020, 03:35:42 PM »
In todays modern world many packets of food frozen or other wise have instructions as to how to cook from frozen or how to make  or bake with  instructions on the back of the packet, including the mixing method,and ingredients needed,

yet thinking back to my child hood many mothers then simply  learnt to cook being taught by watching their mothers ,   a sort of on site training,
much like todays T,V chefs showing and explaining how to prepare and cook
meals or what ever it is your interested in cooking,.

so in todays modern world, i wonder will people in general still want to learn how to cook, ?

being as there are many ready meals on the supermarket shelfs,  with Microwave  oven instructions, included on the back of the packet,

whilst  many people also prefer  to either eat out, or have food delivered, ready cooked food like pizza,s or curries ,

Q; so will

biglouis

Re: how to cook,
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2020, 04:20:48 PM »
My attitude to cooking and housework generally was formed when I was kid at school studying for my GCE and wanting to get on. If my father saw me reading or doing homework he use to tell me to "Put those Bl***y books away and go and help your mother." For that reason I grew up loathing anything which smacked of housework as a waste of time which was not going to help me in my career.

When I left home I gradually got into the habit of many single professional  people of resenting the time it took up and having better things to do. Ive never been a "foodie" but if someone else cooks it I will eat it! Otherwise its shove it in the microwave and wait for it to go DING.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Sheila

« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2020, 04:40:27 PM »
My husband is cooking a roast chicken dinner this evening.  We take it in turns to cook.  He is better at chilies and curries than I am but I can make a good steak and kidney pie using the slow cooker first and then finishing off in the oven with a crispy suet pastry top.

We had Gousto meals for a while - they send all the ingredients and an instruction card.  They were quite good but it works out more expensive.

Scrumpy

« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2020, 06:42:15 PM »

I was so excited when I had a new kitchen a couple of years ago.. Cupboards and drawers that silently close .. a new cooker .. dishwasher etc..
But my kitchen is nothing compared to many..
They design kitchens with islands in the middle.. loads of work top space.. eye level.. and so many pots ,pans and gadgets.
These kitchens are not designed with ready / takeaway meals in mind.
Also a lot of men like to cook.. Gone are the days when the kitchen was just a woman’s domain.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Alex22

« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2020, 06:57:28 PM »
I've had a tasty dinner tonight with just one chicken breast, plenty of frozen mixed peppers, a few sliced green beans and two slices of chopped up bacon.
Bunged it all in the frying pan then added a packet of sweet chilli rice that had cooked for 2 mins in the microwave.  Takeaways are great too, but it's also easy to cook a curry yourself and then freeze it, as I'm sure many do on here.

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2020, 07:21:27 PM »
I often spend a couple of days cooking healthy meals from scratch with the slow cooker. I always follow the recipes that are for a minimum of 4 so always have plenty in the freezer. I especially do this if I'm going to be away at my own home in Perth for a while, as I will be in a few days time. Then Himself gets one meal out the freezer in the morning and leaves it to defrost till he wants to heat it in the microwave.

Dayjo

« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2020, 07:58:27 PM »
Mia loves to come here. Because we have "proper" meals.

Also, grandma teaches her to do, "proper" baking......

David, Christine, + Mia...... NE Derbyshire.

Life happens, when you connect with people.
Not, constantly working to be better, or to have more......

zoony

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2020, 08:10:20 PM »
A female engineer that can cook and bake (but hates running)..She'll do well at Uni.. ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Dayjo

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2020, 08:24:05 PM »
A female engineer that can cook and bake (but hates running)..She'll do well at Uni.. ;D

Possibly!  ;)

She starts back at school, next week. Two days per week. For four weeks.  :)

But. Her first day, is a teacher's training day. So, she can't attend...... Sheesh!!
David, Christine, + Mia...... NE Derbyshire.

Life happens, when you connect with people.
Not, constantly working to be better, or to have more......

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2020, 08:56:58 PM »
I'm lost for appropriate words that don't begin with 'f'..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Scrumpy

« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2020, 08:50:54 AM »

Those scones look good..!
 Mia won't need a (step up) for much longer.. All of a sudden the grandchildren tower above us..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.