Author Topic: Travel Insurance  (Read 1170 times)

old rocker

Travel Insurance
« on: Jun 30, 2020, 12:19:15 AM »
Looking around to renew my annual travel insurance.  Cheapest quote is double last years and  no cover for coronavirus which is understandable.  Surely this is just profiteering.  Anyone else experienced this.
Wish I didn't know now what I didn't Know then

zoony

Re: Travel Insurance
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2020, 01:28:05 AM »
Happily, no. I'm fortunate in having done all the travelling I want to do by now. But I wish you luck with your search.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Sheila

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2020, 07:17:11 AM »
I have trouble getting travel insurance because of my lung problems.  Last year I managed to get an annual policy so we went mad and had four holidays abroad including Cuba and India. 
We have cancelled this year's holiday to India and are resigned to not having holidays abroad in the future.  I still have the excellent advice obtained here on the forum about exploring Scotland (I think Traveller was involved in that).  We've not been to Southern Ireland either so that is a possibility.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2020, 11:57:33 PM »
Looking around to renew my annual travel insurance.  Cheapest quote is double last years and  no cover for coronavirus which is understandable.  Surely this is just profiteering.  Anyone else experienced this.

I don't understand why you want to buy travel insurance in the first place. At our age I would have thought that continental and international travel would be done with by now. I certainly don't have any thoughts of leaving these shores any more - give me a quiet holiday in Yorkshire any day.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2020, 12:02:42 AM »
I have trouble getting travel insurance because of my lung problems.  Last year I managed to get an annual policy so we went mad and had four holidays abroad including Cuba and India. 
We have cancelled this year's holiday to India and are resigned to not having holidays abroad in the future.  I still have the excellent advice obtained here on the forum about exploring Scotland (I think Traveller was involved in that).  We've not been to Southern Ireland either so that is a possibility.

Last and only time I went to Ireland was back in the early 70's. Got the ferry clutching our match tickets  with the guys to go to the Wales/Ireland Rugby international. We were early so popped in a local bar. 11 hours later we exited the bar trying to work out which way it was to the ferry to go home. Never did see the game and to be honest I don't either remember much of Ireland.

old rocker

« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2020, 12:33:47 AM »

I don't understand why you want to buy travel insurance in the first place. At our age I would have thought that continental and international travel would be done with by now. I certainly don't have any thoughts of leaving these shores any more - give me a quiet holiday in Yorkshire any day.
at 66 you're having a laugh

Scrumpy

« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2020, 10:04:45 AM »

old rocker.. Damn right....

There are still many places to be seen whatever age a person is..
 I find the  'Can't do that .. far too old' insulting..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Alex22

« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »
I'm not ready to hang up my plug adaptors yet  :)  but I won't be doing any long haul flights again.

Sheila

« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2020, 10:53:52 AM »
I'm not ready to hang up my plug adaptors yet  :)  but I won't be doing any long haul flights again.

Sadly, neither will we.  I can't imagine what the conditions are like in India at the moment and just feel dreadfully sorry for the lovely people we have met there.

I have fond memories of a lovely receptionist who walked round the pool asking all the guests if they were ok.  My husband tends to always look a bit red faced and he had a bright pink T shirt on that day.  She looked at him and said 'Ah your face matches your T shirt.  I will call you Mr. Pinky'.  That was his name for the rest of the holiday.

old rocker

« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2020, 11:36:17 AM »
Glad I'm not on my own on this.  We are in the fortunate position to be able to jet off 4 or 5 times a year.  Wasnt always the case. Sunshine and beach bars during the day and rock bars at night.  Might grow up next year.  Probably drink to much there but do that at home anyway.  Last check up when asked how many units a week I drank I said not as much as I did and more than I should. Sorry for those that want to go and for health or financial reasons cant, might happen to me one day but until then Rock keeps rolling on

StephenM123

« Reply #10 on: Jul 01, 2020, 11:48:46 AM »
Heard somebody, mid- sixties, got cover for single trip to Spain with CovID cover for £200.. Expensive but full cover..

old rocker

« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2020, 12:06:28 PM »
Heard somebody, mid- sixties, got cover for single trip to Spain with CovID cover for £200.. Expensive but full cover..
Thanks Stephen actually got cheap cover from jet2 annual policy for 2 with declared medical conditions for £160 This covers if you contract coronavirus whilst on holiday medical expenses and repatriation if needed.  What it doesnt cover is cancellation if you cant go due to coronavirus

mick607

« Reply #12 on: Jul 01, 2020, 08:36:06 PM »
Any travel insurance for me is out of the question. If it was available it would be too costly.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2020, 11:44:22 PM »
at 66 you're having a laugh

Not really, the last time I left these shores was in 2004 (56) for a holiday in Cyprus for a week. It lasted 4 weeks and cost close on an extra £5000. Top it all the only flight home was to Glasgow then to connect to Heathrow. Trouble was that the car was at Gatwick! Foreign holidays you can stick em. Much prefer something closer to home knowing that I am only 5 hours away.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #14 on: Jul 01, 2020, 11:47:55 PM »

I pop over to Belgium via Eurostar for an afternoon to stock up on cigarettes regularly. I searched for some travel insurance just in case - the best quote I had was £1675 for a day trip to either France or Belgium!! Suffice it to say I don't have any.