Author Topic: Vitamins.  (Read 466 times)

Raven

Vitamins.
« on: Jun 30, 2020, 05:45:39 AM »
Do you take any? Do you really think they do any good?
I always seem to have a cold hanging around, have done for years and I was wondering if taking vitamins would help, and what ones if any should I take.

Michael Rolls

Re: Vitamins.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2020, 06:07:02 AM »
I have taken D3 got years. Veronica’s idea to compensate for the relative lack of sunshine in winter. What is interesting is that in the last couple of years of Veronica’s life, when I was determined to be as fit as possible to care for her, I got my weight down from 14-2 to 12-7 and kept it there, I seemed to be forever on the verge of colds. After Veronica died I gave up worrying about my weight which has slowly edged up to 13-7, and I have scarcely seen a sign of a cold. Mentioned this just before lockdown began, to the practice nurse, who reckoned that I had forced myself below my ‘natural’ weight and that my immune system had suffered as a result
Whether the D3 really helps I don’t know, but it certainly does no harm
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Sheila

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2020, 07:09:24 AM »
I take D3 because I read that it helps lungs.  We don't like fish much so have an Omega 3 every morning too.

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2020, 07:18:49 AM »
Echinacea boosts the immune system.  I'm a bit sporadic with it, but it does no harm and until January, when I got an awful fluey illness, I'd not had a cold for ages. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

klondike

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2020, 07:28:12 AM »
Multivitamins cover most common ones. I recently added D3 after suggestions a lack may make folk more vulnerable to Covid19 and the BAME connection added a little credibility.

There are unsupported suggestions that extra vitamin c helps with colds.

There are companies whose whole business is selling supplements. They can't have much in the way of adverse health effects or they would be banned. I doubt many have huge beneficial effects either or the NHS would be dishing them out or even trying to force them on you as they do with statins.
So long and thanks for all the fish

granny moss

« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2020, 08:02:49 AM »
Every morning first thing I take a cup of Echinacea...I have not had colds for years....Also take vitamins. Cross my fingers and hope it is OK for me to say that I take all sorts of Vitamins, and at 97 years old, I only take one tiny tab of 1.25 gm to keep my blood  cloths away...Twinings do a nice echinacea raspberry  tea. I think echinacea taken regularly, keeps the doctor away.... :D gmx

Scrumpy

« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2020, 08:35:29 AM »

I also take D3.. Two caplets a day..

My mate told me recently about Turmeric and how good it is for the digestive system ( I think)..  I bought some online.. Heaven knows why.. I keep forgetting to take them.. and when I do remember I can't be bothered...
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Scrumpy

« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2020, 08:37:06 AM »

My mum used to shove cod liver oil and malt down our throats every morning..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Flying bomb

« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2020, 08:38:34 AM »
If you have had a stroke/heart attack be careful taking vitamin K.
It increases blood clotting.
Some multi vits already contain 100% RDA of vit K. (Boots)
If the Buck stops here how can the Doe go all the way ?

Albert.

Alex22

« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2020, 03:55:28 PM »
Granny Moss and Granny Mac have both mentioned Echinachea which is what I take too.  It may not always prevent a cold, but it's said to make cold symptoms less severe. 

Raven

« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2020, 05:30:54 PM »
Thankyou for your replies, will try the one a day multi and also the Twining Raspberry Tea with Echinachea. :) :)