Author Topic: Openness and transparency in local government ??  (Read 1766 times)

digitalis

Re: Openness and transparency in local government ??
« Reply #30 on: Jul 01, 2020, 07:40:00 AM »
Government bodies and authorities are our last growth industry. Local councillors and all should(as a matter of being elected/employed by the public)go round to each school in their area to talk and seek local children to mentor for employment/career such as their own. When a parent or child shows interest in that job/and or puts up their hand to show interest,the child next to them should be chosen or invited to the job as those seeking to be elected(in my view)are self servers or showcasers,those most likely to grandiosity. What should be encouraged workers not stars

Ashy

« Reply #31 on: Jul 01, 2020, 07:53:54 AM »
Certainly political parties select candidates on the basis of how much noise they make rather than any competence to do any particular job.

Sheila

« Reply #32 on: Jul 01, 2020, 07:56:18 AM »
Its not a tax, its a reduction in housing benefit. It doesn't affect people who pay their own rent. There are eight one bedroomed properties available this week on the website. There will be new ones every week. https://homes.manchestermove.co.uk/choice/homes.aspx

GrannyMac, I realise that you know more about this than I do but I do know a lady who is affected.  I belong(ed) to a knitting group and a very disabled lady in a wheelchair joined us.  She wasn't capable of knitting much but everyone was kind to her.  She has a two bedroom flat and lives alone.  When she is not well, her mother stays with her and uses the second bedroom.  She mentioned that she suffers financially from 'the bedroom tax' and just shrugged in an accepting sort of way. 

GrannyMac

« Reply #33 on: Jul 01, 2020, 09:47:28 AM »
GrannyMac, I realise that you know more about this than I do but I do know a lady who is affected.  I belong(ed) to a knitting group and a very disabled lady in a wheelchair joined us.  She wasn't capable of knitting much but everyone was kind to her.  She has a two bedroom flat and lives alone.  When she is not well, her mother stays with her and uses the second bedroom.  She mentioned that she suffers financially from 'the bedroom tax' and just shrugged in an accepting sort of way.

Sheila some local authorities make allowances for people with disabilities who need carers.  There is also something called a discretionary housing payment.  The CAB or local advice organisation may be able to help her. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais