Author Topic: Openness and transparency in local government ??  (Read 1761 times)

Raven

Re: Openness and transparency in local government ??
« Reply #15 on: Jun 30, 2020, 02:34:13 PM »
On the News either last year or the year before, Aberdeen Council were in the very deep mire.

mick607

« Reply #16 on: Jun 30, 2020, 02:36:23 PM »
Scrumpy, you live in a Conservative run area, so more money for the 'nice' things.  Those of us in some cash strapped Labour councils have seen more swingeing cuts.  Fortunately we've retained our library, although some are now run by volunteers.  I also refuse to pay for a garden bin, our cuttings go next door into his compost bin, or bagged up in general waste.  We only have a small garden.

biglouis - the misnamed 'bedroom tax' is based on a reasonable principle.  No-one's rent increased, no tax was applied, it just made a small household think about whether or not they needed a large family home.  If they were actually paying rent, it made no difference, but if the rent was covered by taxpayer funded housing benefit, then a smaller sum would be awarded.  Most councils offer exchanges.  If I was on benefits I'd rather have a smaller home to heat for starters.    Homeowners whose income reduces through job loss or retirement often have to think about downsizing too.
In my own recent experience GM that is not alway's the case.For over a year we tried to move from a three bed semi to a one bed flat & our Labour controlled council dragged their feet as much as they could. They were totally uninterested but most vociferous blaming the Tory govt all the time for their own failings.£17m plus wasted on a shopping centre.Now in administration.£40m plus on Robin Hood Energy.I dread to think the umpteen £millions wasted on the tram system that ia unreliable & only after eight years many tracks have worn out & now being replaced.60k plus students living in the city paying no council tax but expecting all council facilities to be provided.A council that refused to support St George's day parade but quite happy to fund LGBTQ pride even renaming a street after them.
Only in a Labour controlled council would this happen.What do I think of my local council ? Utter SH$TE.

brian54

« Reply #17 on: Jun 30, 2020, 02:45:37 PM »
Birmingham keeps on saying it has no money. It does its utmost to get people to pay care fees by selling houses which the patient does not own,
The council kept on paying for food for people in the crisis when everybody except me has £5,000,000.00. I have far less than that and I pay for my own food without any problem.
Councilors have parties at the expense of the council tax payer every month.

GrannyMac

« Reply #18 on: Jun 30, 2020, 02:56:03 PM »
In my own recent experience GM that is not alway's the case.For over a year we tried to move from a three bed semi to a one bed flat & our Labour controlled council dragged their feet as much as they could. They were totally uninterested but most vociferous blaming the Tory govt all the time for their own failings.£17m plus wasted on a shopping centre.Now in administration.£40m plus on Robin Hood Energy.I dread to think the umpteen £millions wasted on the tram system that ia unreliable & only after eight years many tracks have worn out & now being replaced.60k plus students living in the city paying no council tax but expecting all council facilities to be provided.A council that refused to support St George's day parade but quite happy to fund LGBTQ pride even renaming a street after them.
Only in a Labour controlled council would this happen.What do I think of my local council ? Utter SH$TE.

I know the limited stock available has been a problem in some areas, I think legislation ought to have been put in place to allow people to stay at no extra cost until a suitable property was available. I know some councils award extra points, and go the extra mile to speed up downsizing.  Thats why I said the principle was sound, but in practice suitable smaller homes were needed.  I'm just pleased you found one you like so much. 

I believe your council also charges the highest rate of council tax in England!  Sounds like it needs a good shake up.  It makes Sheffield council seem quite sensible. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

mick607

« Reply #19 on: Jun 30, 2020, 03:09:43 PM »
I know the limited stock available has been a problem in some areas, I think legislation ought to have been put in place to allow people to stay at no extra cost until a suitable property was available. I know some councils award extra points, and go the extra mile to speed up downsizing.  Thats why I said the principle was sound, but in practice suitable smaller homes were needed.  I'm just pleased you found one you like so much. 

I believe your council also charges the highest rate of council tax in England!  Sounds like it needs a good shake up.  It makes Sheffield council seem quite sensible.
The third or fourth highest I believe. Trouble is this council just love to aquander money.The council bus company just took delivery of the 100th biogas double decker bus & they aren't cheap. Money it seems is no problem.

brian54

« Reply #20 on: Jun 30, 2020, 05:25:30 PM »
We don't need council houses in Birmingham. Everybody except me has £5,000,000.00.

klondike

« Reply #21 on: Jun 30, 2020, 05:41:56 PM »
So long and thanks for all the fish

GrannyMac

« Reply #22 on: Jun 30, 2020, 06:04:20 PM »
💩💩

🙄🙄

R. Gervais

brian54

« Reply #23 on: Jun 30, 2020, 06:24:19 PM »
I have noticed a lot of the BCC buildings have all their lights left on at night and I have been told by 30 people Ian Ward the leader of BCC is a major shareholder in the Electric which supplies BCC. I have phoned his office to ask who supplies the electric to BCC so I can check the shareholder register and his secretary keeps on putting the phone down on me.

I have now contacted the information commissioner and I have now had a phone call accusing me of wasting the council's time and money. Surely it would have been cheaper for the council to give me this info in the first place.

klondike

« Reply #24 on: Jun 30, 2020, 07:21:42 PM »
You should start checking the streetlamps too Brian.

I think the councillors at King's Lynn must get some dosh from the electric company. As I drive in there are at least a dozen which are on during the day on a stretch of about a mile. They have been like that for a couple of years apart from one which was obviously wearing out last time we passed it.

You could walk around noting all those that are on where you run then check again at 4:30 to see if they are still on then or off. Build up a big dossier and go to the council with your findings. They will probably welcome you with open arms.

This would make an excellent new hobby for you and maybe drag you out of the rut you seem to have fallen into.

mick607

« Reply #25 on: Jun 30, 2020, 08:08:51 PM »
I have noticed a lot of the BCC buildings have all their lights left on at night and I have been told by 30 people Ian Ward the leader of BCC is a major shareholder in the Electric which supplies BCC. I have phoned his office to ask who supplies the electric to BCC so I can check the shareholder register and his secretary keeps on putting the phone down on me.

I have now contacted the information commissioner and I have now had a phone call accusing me of wasting the council's time and money. Surely it would have been cheaper for the council to give me this info in the first place.
You are wasting a lot of peoples time with this drivel.

klondike

« Reply #26 on: Jun 30, 2020, 09:00:07 PM »
Yes. He should be doing something important like checking up on the street lights instead.

biglouis

« Reply #27 on: Jun 30, 2020, 11:35:13 PM »
I know people who would be happy to downsize to a one bedroom flat to avoid the bedroom tax but they are at a premium. People should only be charged bedroom tax if they have been offered and refused a suitable smaller place. Otherwise they can not be claimed to be depriving someone of a home that is too big for them.

Manchester spends my tax dollars like water in the most profligate way.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #28 on: Jun 30, 2020, 11:48:26 PM »

Councilors have parties at the expense of the council tax payer every month.

Too right considering the vast number of anti social hours they work and get what - £10,000 a year?

GrannyMac

« Reply #29 on: Jul 01, 2020, 07:08:36 AM »
I know people who would be happy to downsize to a one bedroom flat to avoid the bedroom tax but they are at a premium. People should only be charged bedroom tax if they have been offered and refused a suitable smaller place. Otherwise they can not be claimed to be depriving someone of a home that is too big for them.

Manchester spends my tax dollars like water in the most profligate way.

Its not a tax, its a reduction in housing benefit. It doesn't affect people who pay their own rent. There are eight one bedroomed properties available this week on the website. There will be new ones every week. https://homes.manchestermove.co.uk/choice/homes.aspx

R. Gervais