Author Topic: Slavery Today  (Read 2403 times)

StephenM123

Slavery Today
« on: Jun 30, 2020, 09:51:57 AM »
Slavery is just not historic. A couple of days ago police found over a dozen slaves in Bedfordshire.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-53227061

Diasi

Re: Slavery Today
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2020, 10:08:22 AM »
Slavery is just not historic. A couple of days ago police found over a dozen slaves in Bedfordshire.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-53227061

This is the reason that so many Brits can't get landwork, as the practice is far more widespread than this article portrays.

Most of the Lincolnshire farms use Eastern European gang labour & to all intents & purposes they're slaves in all but legal name.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

StephenM123

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2020, 10:21:40 AM »
This is the reason that so many Brits can't get landwork, as the practice is far more widespread than this article portrays.

Most of the Lincolnshire farms use Eastern European gang labour & to all intents & purposes they're slaves in all but legal name.

I cannot find it now but I posted about three years ago how local people around Boston were locked out of farm work!

Ashy

« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2020, 10:31:43 AM »
It shows that there are foreigners who come here and they have no regard for our laws. I shall be glad when they all go back where they came from.

klondike

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2020, 10:33:51 AM »
I cannot find it now but I posted about three years ago how local people around Boston were locked out of farm work!
You posted about it quite recently too....
A friend lives in Lincolnshire and says locals have been unable to get a look in at seasonal work as it has been controlled by Eastern European gang masters! I could imagine there has also been a degree of slavery. Once the current situation is over we need to look at the basis for our economy. Basing it on the service industries is wrong. We need to manufacture more and produce much more of our own food.

It is difficult for locals to get labouring jobs on East Anglian farms as it is very much controlled by gang masters who are taking a cut. Think back on Morecambe Bay!

Also in areas like Lincolnshire locals cannot even get a look in at seasonal work as job agencies/gang masters have tied it all up.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2020, 11:32:37 AM »

No up here they're not. When extra help is needed on the farms here we employ locals. Ours come from the nearby Village and sometimes the town. It's only causal work and not for long periods. Several return every time we need help, unless they have started in a full time job.

Alfred

« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2020, 01:29:43 PM »
with regards to recent times and racial tensions ,and the demonstrations and marches in London and else where ,

its interesting to note that on Thursday 2nd July on BBC 4  at  9 o'clock  in the evening there is a film or documentary about  Britain's past history  of  forgotten slave owners

i am really amazed, and surprised  that under the present circumstances, should  this programme really be shown at all, ??   as it could inflame tensions even further,  i would have thought it could, should, be best left alone and forgotten  completely,

Q; have you any thoughts on Britain's past history, regarding slavery,

mick607

« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2020, 01:41:56 PM »
Typical of the BBC.

zoony

« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2020, 02:12:48 PM »
I'm more concerned by the modern slavery endured by some today..The past is the past but how is it still thriving?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2020, 02:20:42 PM »
From what I've seen on TV the foreign ones get in hock for illicit passage here and are overcharge for substandard lodging. They have the fear of god put in them about what will happen should they be found here as illegals and given regular beatings. Doubtless a lot are not the full ticket to start with.

The travellers seem to favour the probably easier task of just grabbing vulnerable homeless and kicking seven bells out of them if they don't do what they are told.
So long and thanks for all the fish

zoony

« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2020, 04:41:46 PM »
Both examples were in my mind..I'm sure such people are quietly 'disappeared' when it becomes necessary or convenient....

cowboy wisdom.

mick607

« Reply #11 on: Jun 30, 2020, 08:11:38 PM »
I'm more concerned by the modern slavery endured by some today..The past is the past but how is it still thriving?
That is there own fault for entering this country illegally.
Zero sympathy from me.

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Jun 30, 2020, 08:41:13 PM »
Only some are 'foreigners'. Plenty of home-grown but disadvantaged people are held and used as slaves.

cowboy wisdom.

digitalis

« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2020, 07:54:43 AM »
There seems only one solution to end this slavery uproar: maybe the BBC who is leading the campaign to shame us British go right to the top: the Queen,Phil and Charles should all come out and take the knee in front of Buck House. The knee should be televised nationally...and maybe every year be made a national institution. In place of Remembrance Day the armed forces should all be televised taking the knee.
Would this show the world we are global leaders...or a laughing stock? You decide.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Jul 01, 2020, 09:20:03 AM »
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Decided
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!