Author Topic: Gardening query  (Read 391 times)

Alex22

Gardening query
« on: Jul 04, 2020, 10:57:56 PM »
This plant in my garden has some lovely flowers on it apart from the right hand side, it was the same last year.  I think it's called a bottle brush, but not sure.  Does anyone know if I should just cut off the part that doesn't flower ? I don't want to kill it :)

zoony

Re: Gardening query
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2020, 11:37:20 PM »
It's a peculiar habit for such a plant but I'd advise patience and a visit to the garden center with the pic.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Jacqueline

« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2020, 12:20:19 AM »
Your lucky to have it in your garden, I've bought a couple of these and they havent survived the winter, they come from Australia I think. Zoonys right ask the garden centre for advice.

Different plant, but we had a climber that only flowered on one side, can't remember if it was the sunny or shady side now, one or the other, could that be a factor?

Alex22

« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2020, 12:40:48 AM »
Thanks both, my friend's hubby says it just needs pruning ?  so I'll have a look on You Tube for that.

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2020, 12:45:48 AM »
Please don't prune it until you get good advice. It doesn't look particularly healthy in general and I can see where your friend's hubby's coming from but I still think You should consult the garden centre before acting.

cowboy wisdom.

Alex22

« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2020, 12:49:06 AM »
That's the problem Zoon it really does look healthy in real life, lots of lovely flowers on it, apart from one side  :)  I'll ask at the Garden Centre and take my photo with me.

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2020, 12:51:52 AM »
An abundance of healthy flowers can often be a last ditch effort from a sick plant. I'd be interested in the opinion of the experts..

cowboy wisdom.

Sheila

« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2020, 10:59:26 AM »
Our bottle brush plant survived being left out for the winter but is not quite as good this year.  The flowers have not lasted as long but I think the strong winds have not helped.

klondike

« Reply #8 on: Jul 05, 2020, 11:03:02 AM »
If you have a smartphone there are apps that identify virtually any plant. We saw an unusual one last year and checked to see what it was. Lucky we did as the head gardner  was up for trying a cutting. It was listed as highly poisonous.

On the bush I'd take a little twig off. It should be easy enough to see if it is dead or alive. IME dead bits never resurrect.
So long and thanks for all the fish