Author Topic: Eye Test Beer  (Read 996 times)

StephenM123

Eye Test Beer
« on: Jul 06, 2020, 08:29:47 PM »
Don't imagine Dominic has ordered a pack!

https://www.brewdog.com/uk/eye-test-appointment-11-am

Alex22

Re: Eye Test Beer
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2020, 03:06:02 AM »
I noticed this has been dragged up again today...... a law student is crowdfunding to have the incident re-investigated after Durham Constabulary had said no case to answer.  Crowdfunding must be a good way to pay off student debt, if he gets enough suckers to contribute.

Traveller

« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2020, 07:49:55 AM »
Brewdog started off as a small concern in some old units in Fraserburgh.  They had a great knack of generating interest (and free advertising) by coming up with controversial products.  They expanded very rapidly and now have a large brewery in Ellon.   I'm not a great fan of their beer, but I like their style.
You'll have had your tea.

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2020, 08:45:07 AM »
I noticed this has been dragged up again today...... a law student is crowdfunding to have the incident re-investigated after Durham Constabulary had said no case to answer.  Crowdfunding must be a good way to pay off student debt, if he gets enough suckers to contribute.

Yes, the seemingly non-ethnic Brit, Mahsa Taliefar, who's studying to become a legal executive & not a fully-fledged lawyer, has been told that her attempt cannot succeed in law.

https://bit.ly/31QCRHZ
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ashy

Re: Eye Test Bear
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2020, 08:57:50 AM »
Hilarious!

"Matthew Scott writes on his BarristerBlogger site that 25-year-old Mahsa Taliefar has possibly received “duff advice” which overlooks the fact that breaches of coronavirus regulations can’t be prosecuted privately."

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2020, 09:37:15 AM »
Just as well - otherwise I could see an endless can of worms
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Traveller

« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2020, 12:52:20 PM »
"Endless can of worms"?   That might be a good name for a beer.
You'll have had your tea.

Cassandra

« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2020, 01:20:13 PM »
The legal term for having the right to originate an action is called 'Locus Standi' - literally in latin 'a place to stand'. It means you have to be legally enabled by statute to be in the position to originate an affadavit commencing a case as a plaintiff against a defendant.

The matter of whether this provision is applicable can be challenged right up to the Court of Appeal, a long process. Of course if the COA accepts the appeal then it becomes a 'precedent' for any further cases of similar constituent.

A good example is the former footballer and one of the '66 World Cup squad George Eastham. In 1963 he won a Landmark case against his club Newcastle United who held his player registration and denied him the right therefore to transfer to Arsenal. Under the terms of the Retain and Transfer system then applicable in Association Football, Eastham contended this action denied him the right to ply his trade freely and diminished his earnings unfairly. During the hearing (actions usually consist of many court sessions) the defence raised the question of Locus Standi. They inferred that as the rules for transfer in Eastham's place of work were between the FA and the two clubs involved, Eastham had no right to bring the action in the first place, as he was not a perty to this agreement. The Judge however ruled that as his life and that of his dependants was unfairly effected by this overarching legislation then he did have the right to conjecture. He persisted and won.

I've had cause to utilise this precedent on more than one occasion, but it depends on the opinion of each Justice to interpret the argument within the unique circumstance of the case he's hearing. I succeeded in both instances, but only after an elevation to the 'Lords' on one, after Mr Justice Jeremiah 'Horrible' Harman (sic) - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/56369.stm - rejected my argument as 'a rotten old case' This colourful gentleman later 'resigned' after much criticism. He was to me and many others what John Mortimer characterised so well in 'Rumpole's' nemesis The 'Mad Bull', Mr. Justice Bullingham!

Excuse the wander here on a personal level. In closing, I completely concur with Mathew Scott's opinion regards Ms Tailiefar and would consider her grounds for appeal as perfidious in the extreme. Also it will cost her (or George Soros) a lot of money to proceed.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Ashy

« Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2020, 02:01:39 PM »
Please correct me, if this party wishes to see an individual prosecuted under the diseases act, she will have to sue one of the legal persons who can institute the proceedings, which I suspect is doomed to failure, but it could potentially lead to other high profile persons being prosecuted.

Cassandra

« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2020, 02:22:04 PM »
Please correct me, if this party wishes to see an individual prosecuted under the diseases act, she will have to sue one of the legal persons who can institute the proceedings, which I suspect is doomed to failure, but it could potentially lead to other high profile persons being prosecuted.

The action you suggested would still immediately question Ms Taliefars 'Locus Standi' as the Plaintiff. It doesn't matter who she sues, it's her position that precludes progression, not the would be defendants.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2020, 10:58:20 PM »
Cassandra
Fascinating. I actually remember the 1963 case, although I would have imagined it to longer ago, and I certainly could not have named the player. At the time the sports pages were full of it and even though not interested in the game, one could hardly fail to notice what was going on. I thought the system almost akin to slavery or at least bonded labour.
Still, shouldn’t be surprised, I suppose. Only discovered the other day that it wasn’t until 1967 that the US Supreme Court struck down laws in several Southern states forbidding marriage between whites and non-whites. Wonder why Lincoln bothered!
Mike

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Jul 08, 2020, 05:43:40 AM »
Looks like the crowd will be funding a law student rather than a law suit, as I think has already been noted, thanks Cassandra.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Jul 08, 2020, 06:32:25 AM »
If anyone is interested in evidence of really serious discrimination That case I mentioned was Loving v Virginia. Racial discrimination, that is
Mike

Ashy

« Reply #13 on: Jul 08, 2020, 01:31:52 PM »
Eyetest Bear

Cassandra

« Reply #14 on: Jul 08, 2020, 02:02:07 PM »
Cassandra
Fascinating. I actually remember the 1963 case, although I would have imagined it to longer ago, and I certainly could not have named the player. At the time the sports pages were full of it and even though not interested in the game, one could hardly fail to notice what was going on. I thought the system almost akin to slavery or at least bonded labour.
Still, shouldn’t be surprised, I suppose. Only discovered the other day that it wasn’t until 1967 that the US Supreme Court struck down laws in several Southern states forbidding marriage between whites and non-whites. Wonder why Lincoln bothered!
Mike

Actually Mike you may be remembering 'Johnny Haynes' dispute in 1961 with the F.A. about the maximum weekly wage paid in the Football League at that time; which was  £20 I think from memory. The dispute nearly ended up in front of the Beak. However following conflicting Counsel's opinions over the 'Locus Standi' of a 'player' to originate a case against them, the FA backed down. Two years later however when they did insist - Eastham v. Newcastle United prevailed.

Haynes then received £100 weekly from Fulham.
Worth it too, along with Johnny Giles and Glenn Hoddle the best passer of a ball I've ever seen!