Author Topic: Defund the BBC...a new campaign  (Read 7012 times)

klondike

Re: Defund the BBC...a new campaign
« Reply #90 on: Jul 13, 2020, 01:09:10 PM »
11 hours of BBC Referendum coverage on YouTube -  https://youtu.be/1TmUP1StPf0

I didn't have the foresight to record this so I'm downloading it. I went to bed about 1:00am when it looked like a narrow remain victory. I could hardly believe my eyes when I got up at 6:00am and saw it was a Leave win. We still aren't properly out 4 years later but it looks like we will be.
So long and thanks for all the fish

David G

« Reply #91 on: Jul 13, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »
So as usual I'll just keep paying it so that those less fortunate than me can keep getting it for free.

True, but for every one who  for what ever reason quite rightly  deserve to get it free, there will be many more lifelong layabouts  on PC and other benefits who have already ponced of the taxpayers all their lives,,,,,,,,, and that's what I resent.

Sparky as is often the case there is a hint of sarcasm and bitterness in my comment. ;) 8)

Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Cassandra

« Reply #92 on: Jul 13, 2020, 04:37:46 PM »
I feel Klondike and Diasi partly see my aim. I can't find any 'previous' challenge to the BBC on the point (strictly punctilious) known commonly as a 'loophole', that I may contest in 'defence'. My overall aim is not to give any more of my money to support this edifice that denies free speech and promotes biased reporting.

I believe the broadcaster will accept the financial fall-out from those of my opinion and rather than creating a 'cause celebre' case, grabbing headlines on platforms they can't control, will inevitably desist prosecution. In fact Diasi's point concerning the 'doorstep precedent' liability, validates one of my previous suggestions for the reticence to withhold payment many face. With the fear of criminal prosecution as a septuagenarian a possible corollary, many will just leave the monthly DD in place through inertia. The BBC are now solely responsible in charging those aged 75 plus (subject to means testing). Previously this was a Central Govt decision legislated through 'The Communications Act 2003.' A timorous and politically motivated delegation to the broadcaster on this facet, by the instantly forgettable George Osborne in his unremarkable reign as Chancellor in the 'coalition administration' of Clegg and Cameron followed.

Oliver Dowden, the Culture Secretary, said four days ago, he felt "let down" by the BBC's decision and warned that it would "have an impact" on whether failing to pay the licence fee is downgraded from a criminal offence in the courts ... an important indicative escalation, if more than merely a sound-byte?

Personally I am not afeared of the personal consequences. My background as an purveyor of legal opinion and lifetime knowledge of litigation as an advocate, convince me that my judgement will be correct in this overall assessment and that I won't face terminal pursuit. If I were advising the BBC weighing as a Plaintiff, I would sugggest the following. The detraction of creating a precedent, gained through losing a single, or even multiples of £157 units to a Plaintiff collecting £275,000,000 from 1.75 million overwhelmingly pliable elderly people (6% of the their £4.9 billion income last year) would mean I would advise the overall risk too high.

Even if they were victorious, elevating an elderly martyr to conceivable imprisonment would be disastrous. Imagine a 'Captain Tom' pensioner bravely taking on the bully-girl BBC!

However I am 'advised' that within Govt the viewpoint on this contested point are very divided. The Doves (Waitrose Tories) extol the hard line approach by the National Broadcaster and supporter for their 'neo-liberal' policies. The Hawks (Lidl free marketeers) want them stopped, fearing a backlash from the 'blue rinse brigade' deserting them for whatever 'Sir' Nigel Farage morphs into next.

That apart the BBC hierarchy are also a very arrogant collection of self possessed blowhards. Witness their £2.3 million compensation payout to Sir Cliff Richard for a hideously supercilious defence to their appalling actions. With the crunch of a massive tort at the end, including costs, probably £3.5 million overall. A hulking trophy to discourse, poor judgement and lack of objectivity, from start to finish.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

sparky

« Reply #93 on: Jul 13, 2020, 04:46:27 PM »

Sparky as is often the case there is a hint of sarcasm and bitterness in my co ;) mment.

David, My ageing brain " it will be 90 Thurs " takes a bit longer to get the gist these days  ;D ;D ;D

David G

« Reply #94 on: Jul 13, 2020, 04:52:40 PM »
Sparky as is often the case there is a hint of sarcasm and bitterness in my co ;) mment.

David, My ageing brain " it will be 90 Thurs " takes a bit longer to get the gist these days  ;D ;D ;D
Sparky I'm a mere 74 but my brain is nowhere near as sharp or quick as it once was, we don't improve with age.
Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Alex22

« Reply #95 on: Jul 13, 2020, 05:31:47 PM »
I realise a few of you have said you don't want the hassle or CBA and that's your choice, I may change my mind in 6 months time - but I very much doubt it. 😃 

Cassandra

« Reply #96 on: Jul 14, 2020, 02:39:53 PM »
11 hours of BBC Referendum coverage on YouTube -  https://youtu.be/1TmUP1StPf0

I didn't have the foresight to record this so I'm downloading it. I went to bed about 1:00am when it looked like a narrow remain victory. I could hardly believe my eyes when I got up at 6:00am and saw it was a Leave win. We still aren't properly out 4 years later but it looks like we will be.

Worth all of it, just to see Dimblebores face in terminal dismay he has to announce the result towards the end of the transmission. Of course the Remainers are working very hard now to ensure our 'withdrawl' agreement - a treaty in itself will virtually render the Referendum decision on Brexit null and void on December 31st They have been aided by the pandemic and will utilise its existence to push for an extension 'in extremis', which the EU is gagging to offer.

More such barricades to the finality of exit will materialise as long as the lurgy can be rolled out as a reason to prevaricate. Additionally 'Starmer' will be lubricating the rollers of subversion to clarity behind the scenes, every oblique opportunity he can take.

This unrelenting battle of attrition aims for a forever extending horizon of indetermination. Ultimately and with coercion from their EU cohorts resulting in a change of UK government. Simultaneously promoting Obergruppenführer Starmer the ability to reverse legislation as it currently applies.

We will then all be good little Remainers and live happily ever after ...
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

« Reply #97 on: Jul 14, 2020, 02:50:01 PM »
The 30th June 2020 was the deadline for the UK to request an extension to the transition period & we haven't asked for one so I don't see how it can be extended now.

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #98 on: Jul 14, 2020, 02:52:45 PM »
doubtless, some bugger somewhere is working on it!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #99 on: Jul 14, 2020, 03:10:00 PM »
Ultimately and with coercion from their EU cohorts resulting in a change of UK government. Simultaneously promoting Obergruppenführer Starmer the ability to reverse legislation as it currently applies.
Perhaps I'm an optimist but I see Nigel Farage playing a longish game here towards a rebranded Brexit Party and there being more chance of that challenging a rather lack lustre Tory party bruised by their poor handling of the pandemic than the pathetic Starmer raising his game to the point of being a realist Prime Minister. As I saw mentioned the other day there is still no clear idea of what he actually stands for. What are the Labour Party policies? Nothing so far as I can see other than low level sniping. No big guns for sure.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #100 on: Jul 14, 2020, 03:14:23 PM »
I would see Diane Abbott as a big gun - firing blanks!
Mike

klondike

« Reply #101 on: Jul 14, 2020, 03:17:19 PM »
doubtless, some bugger somewhere is working on it!
I don't doubt that should the UK ask for an extension at 22:59 GMT on 31/12/2020 it would be granted before 23:00. It seems that the EU have accepted that won't happen but they still seem only too happy for a nasalectomy to spite their face. To be honest I really don't care - this damned pandemic or rather our government allowing it to cripple the economy will far exceed any financial penalty a no deal may deliver us and in the big scheme of things it really doesn't matter.

klondike

« Reply #102 on: Jul 14, 2020, 03:19:02 PM »
I would see Diane Abbott as a big gun - firing blanks!
She isn't even a wet fart anymore. The only reason she had a job was Corbyn and he is certainly history.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #103 on: Jul 14, 2020, 03:19:49 PM »
 I think that you are right
Mike