Author Topic: after four months without cricket  (Read 14819 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: after four months without cricket
« Reply #90 on: Jul 13, 2020, 01:46:27 AM »
Three dropped catches and two batting collapses are hardly a winning combination
Mike 😢😢
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #91 on: Jul 13, 2020, 08:05:41 AM »
Lol, I was hoping for a reply that allowed me to get my punchline in. ;D

Serves you right!  ;D 

I did find the straight (no pun intended) replies from Cassandra & Mike amusing. ;D

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Cassandra

« Reply #92 on: Jul 13, 2020, 05:11:17 PM »
Three dropped catches and two batting collapses are hardly a winning combination
Mike 😢😢

Yes, the fielding overall was substandard. Also I think Capt Stokes felt he didn't have enough runs to bowl Bess as he perhaps should have. I think Sibley's 50 for 2 as against zero in his first dance will unfortunately propel him to Old Trafford. For once Jimmy had an indifferent day. I'd definitely have Broad back for Woods (too erratic). How refreshing the 21 year old Crawley was. His footwork and chassising were a delight. Unlike others he has the natural ability to play shots without looking like he'll get out if he plays anything but a nudge or a nirdle down the leg side.

Pope is still feeling his way but Denley's 29/4 was just horrible to watch. It was only merciful to see him eventually shoot himself. Sadly he's just not good enough, Shane Warne bowling at him would be an act of cruelty too bizarre to endure. If the errant Root ever gets off his other interest to grace us with his presence that would be nice, but don't expect too much in this woke world.

Can you imagine Fred Trueman preferring Daddy leave in the 1950's against playing in a Test Match for £25,000!
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #93 on: Jul 13, 2020, 07:37:43 PM »
Nope! But things have changed,  not always for the better. I remember Trevor Bailey being amazed at Derek Pringle preferring to play in a Test rather than captain Cambridge in the Varsity match
Wonder how long ago that was?
Mike

zoony

« Reply #94 on: Jul 13, 2020, 08:33:56 PM »
The view from the neophite's bench was that Archer seemed to bowl so well early and ran out of gas. Just conditioning I suppose. People have written Anderson off before but he seemed sour and pre-occupied. Poor old Broadie made his miffery plain to all. Seems a bit juvenile to sulk so obviously and cast a pall.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #95 on: Jul 13, 2020, 08:41:51 PM »
I think was a bit of 'curate's egg' about quite a few of the players - hardly surprising after so long a break - still it is difficult to make much of a judgement from just highlights
Mike

zoony

« Reply #96 on: Jul 13, 2020, 09:13:54 PM »
Completely agree though I listened all day so got my ear banged by all the opinions offered and there were many...After hearing all the descriptions, and to be fair, the summarisers are good, it's so nice to see what they were waxing about..and not..

cowboy wisdom.

Cassandra

« Reply #97 on: Jul 14, 2020, 01:18:18 PM »
Nope! But things have changed,  not always for the better. I remember Trevor Bailey being amazed at Derek Pringle preferring to play in a Test rather than captain Cambridge in the Varsity match
Wonder how long ago that was?
Mike

1982 Mike, both Trevor and Derek Pringle had and have very contrary senses of humour and I believe knowing Trevor, his reference was intended in that way. Both of course captained Cambridge and were similar in their unconventional views at timesl

Pringle, the gentle Giant, is one of the most interesting men to ever play the great game. I should add another 'discovery' of my old mentor Gordon Barker, Essex opener and latterly cricket coach and groundsman at Felsted School Essex.

Cassandra

« Reply #98 on: Jul 14, 2020, 01:26:34 PM »
I think was a bit of 'curate's egg' about quite a few of the players - hardly surprising after so long a break - still it is difficult to make much of a judgement from just highlights
Mike

Personally I think it possible after just a few balls to form opinions regarding ability from the very beginning. I always remember Trevor describing how amazing Sobers was as a youth. At the opposite end, I think the description of journey man county player fills so many players who get England contracts today who are unworthy of comparison to their forebears. The game has been dropped by state schools and is in decline everywhere now. I think the pandemic will sadly contribute to its ultimate demise as I knew it.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #99 on: Jul 14, 2020, 03:11:43 PM »
I do hope that you are wrong, sir, but sadly, I think that you are almost certainly right
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #100 on: Jul 15, 2020, 06:00:28 PM »
I see Anderson and Wood are being rested for the second Test and Denly dropped, which is hardly a surprise
Mike

zoony

« Reply #101 on: Jul 15, 2020, 06:04:29 PM »
Looking at the weather, it might be one of those on-again off-again days....

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #102 on: Jul 15, 2020, 06:12:22 PM »
Just looked at the forecast - you could well be right
Mike 🤞🤞

Cassandra

« Reply #103 on: Jul 15, 2020, 08:58:55 PM »

Denly dropped too. I'd rather have Curran than Woods anyway, more variety as a left armer and a good bat. Ollie Robinson is an interesting selection at 22, very bold. I think he'll play. Sibley, despite 50 for 3 in the last trip will open with Burns again.

Tipping it down in Manchester as I write, but its a brilliant draining ground. Perhaps Curran opening up with Archer and Robinson/Stokes as 2nd and 3rd seamers maybe?  So it could be Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Root, Pope, Stokes, Buttler, Curran, Robinson, Bess, Archer.

Broads still in the squad of course and if he's not too petulant, could be in a side, then studded with seam and swingers, sadly Bess is then twelfers, a victim of conditions and modern, wham bang thinking. Curran, Archer, Stokes, Robinson and Broad! Depends on conditions tomorrow, but I fancy an England win this time. As a batting line up, there's not a bunny in sight!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #104 on: Jul 15, 2020, 09:02:57 PM »
It’s about Tim e Butler got some runs, though. I was impressed by young Curran last year. Perhaps not an Alan Davidson (one can dream!) but would add some variety.
Mike