Author Topic: Not a problem, but a puzzle  (Read 824 times)

Michael Rolls

Not a problem, but a puzzle
« on: Jul 16, 2020, 12:21:27 PM »
This computer, an Acer Aspire, consistently shows the time as 2 minutes behind the other two computers up and running, my iPad and iPhone and my wrist watches - it doesn't worry me, but it does puzzle me - any idea as to why it should be?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

Re: Not a problem, but a puzzle
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2020, 01:33:12 PM »
Being an Acer Aspire I assume it's Windows. Here is a link telling you how to configure automatic time setting. I fear it may already be done though as that is default sfaik.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-time-servers-windows-10

Just using different time servers might make a second or two of difference but not two minutes. I used to use my machines for satellite tracking so they were all set up to use NTP which gave me excellent timekeeping  http://www.timesynctool.com/
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2020, 01:42:08 PM »
Thanks - I'll give it a try - although, as I said it's just a puzzle, not a problem
Mike

klondike

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2020, 01:57:34 PM »
If it gets a long way off it could give problems with website SSL certificates but that usually only happens if the CMOS battery in the machine is duff and a couple of minutes is unimportant for most things. Just looked at mine and it seems to be a minute fast according to the radio controlled clock.

Ashy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2020, 07:03:21 PM »
I have two computers next to each other and they show different times.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2020, 07:18:03 PM »
Well, excluding my wrist watches which are subject to my whims, I have five time tellers - three computers, iPad and iPhone. The other four all agree with each other, this one is two minutes slow compared to the other four, all of which show the same time - as I say, not a problem, but a puzzles
Mike

klondike

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2020, 07:34:30 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that my radio controlled clock is actually a minute slow because another radio clock, my laptop, my phone and a weather station I own all show a minute faster. 

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2020, 08:35:54 PM »
Weird!
Mike

Ashy

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2020, 08:39:29 PM »
I suppose if they all showed the same time, we would only need one.

biglouis

« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2020, 08:55:01 PM »
Ive got 4 computers and 3 tablets - plus one cheapo smartphone and smarty TV. The two desktop PCs show exactly the same time but the 2 laptops and the tablets all vary slightly. Often been puzzled by this as they are all running off the BT hub.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2020, 08:55:27 AM »
Ive got 4 computers and 3 tablets - plus one cheapo smartphone and smarty TV. The two desktop PCs show exactly the same time but the 2 laptops and the tablets all vary slightly. Often been puzzled by this as they are all running off the BT hub.

I thought you had a degree in human interaction with computers & would, therefore, be able to answer a simple question like this.

The answer being that each device gets it's time via it's own software & not from the router.

You need to check how your devices are configured for their individual time function.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2020, 08:58:08 AM »
This is more worrying than it first appears. I assume it is down to differences in server performance, however I am a bit concerned that event recorders might be able to record or cross reference events in the wrong order. This is vital in accident investigations.

klondike

« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2020, 09:03:58 AM »
Time servers are scattered around the world and there are variable delays in receiving their data depending on the network path. The bit of software I used to use to get better accuracy uses some magic trickery to compensate (probably based on pinging the servers and measuring the delay) but doubtless some use different time servers and simply use what time they are given by them.

I imagine with the clock I have that is a minute out either needs power cycling (which I will do) or has inbuilt logic not to change if the variance doesn't exceed some inbuilt value or other.

klondike

« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2020, 10:57:33 AM »
I installed the higher time accuracy software on this laptop and power cycled the clock. They both now show exactly the same time to the second.