Author Topic: Our Visiting Hedgehog  (Read 2476 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: Our Visiting Hedgehog
« Reply #30 on: Sep 15, 2020, 10:35:57 PM »
Yes, we've just bought a hedgehog home which'll be here in a few days in time for the next hibernation season around October.
Make sure that no more than six hedgehogs are present at any one time! Looks a super home
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #31 on: Sep 15, 2020, 11:41:48 PM »
Make sure that no more than six hedgehogs are present at any one time! Looks a super home
Mike

I think it's ok for a couple of them but apparently some people do end up buying more of them.

We get three hedgehogs in the garden at some point most nights.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #32 on: Sep 16, 2020, 07:28:30 PM »
Years ago, my first wife and I lived within a couple of miles of the Epsom complex of mental illness and mental handicap hospitals, which back then had a total patient population of around 10,000. There had been the very occasional instance of a mental illness patient leaving his hospital and committing an offence of some sort, nothing very serious - no murders or anything like that - but enough to keep folk on the qui vive.

One summer’s evening we were about to doze off - we used the bedroom at the back of the house - when we heard this weird snuffling noise in the garden, so brave Rolls went down to sort out whatever was involved. Walked out, waving a torch around. Couldn’t see anyone, then realised the snuffling was almost at my feet. Redirected the torch to see that I had almost trodden on a small group of hedgehogs. One scuttled off, one rolled into a ball, one brazened it out
Mike

Scrumpy

« Reply #33 on: Sep 18, 2020, 08:08:17 AM »

I always leave water out for any passing creature.. My bedroom windows stay open and during the night I often hear the foil dish moving around..

Diasi.. Is your pic of your wife..?  Very beautiful..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Diasi

« Reply #34 on: Sep 18, 2020, 08:21:45 AM »

Diasi.. Is your pic of your wife..?  Very beautiful..

Yes, it was taken the day we were married in 2011.

I'm not into photography so apart from the ones that were taken when we got married, I only have three or four photos of her, the last one being taken in 2016, but it's a lovely photo.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

biglouis

« Reply #35 on: Sep 20, 2020, 03:58:59 AM »
Are you sure the hedgehogs will use it? When I was a kid I used to keep 4-6 tortoises and we adapted an old dog kennel to be a tortoise house. However they tended to just park themselves in odd corners for the night rather than going into the house. We had to hunt them out and put them in manually. Perhaps  they just were not bright enough to find it or realise it was for them.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

« Reply #36 on: Sep 20, 2020, 08:16:23 AM »
Are you sure the hedgehogs will use it? When I was a kid I used to keep 4-6 tortoises and we adapted an old dog kennel to be a tortoise house. However they tended to just park themselves in odd corners for the night rather than going into the house. We had to hunt them out and put them in manually. Perhaps  they just were not bright enough to find it or realise it was for them.

I don't think there's any such thing as being sure what wild animals (or even pets) will do.

We bought our cats proper cat beds but they prefer cardboard boxes or the dog's cage while our dog likes the cats' beds.

The hedgehogs attend our garden each night to eat the food we put out so the house is there for if they choose to use it.

GrannyMac

« Reply #37 on: Sep 20, 2020, 09:25:47 AM »
Yes, it was taken the day we were married in 2011.

I'm not into photography so apart from the ones that were taken when we got married, I only have three or four photos of her, the last one being taken in 2016, but it's a lovely photo.

It is a lovely photo. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #38 on: Sep 20, 2020, 09:51:02 AM »

It is a lovely photo.

Thanks GM, that was another photo from our wedding day in 2011.

The most recent photo from 2016, that I referred to, is the one I've changed my avatar to.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #39 on: Sep 20, 2020, 09:54:17 AM »
Both very nice pictures
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #40 on: Sep 20, 2020, 10:36:19 AM »
Both very nice pictures
Mike

Thanks, I think so too but I'm prejudiced. ;D

biglouis

« Reply #41 on: Sep 20, 2020, 10:55:19 AM »
Ive never had a pet since i left my parents home because I always lived in flats. I always felt that leaving something on its own all day was cruel and irresponsible unless it had companions. Birds in cages to not appeal to me nor do fish.

When I bought this house I did consider getting some tortoises again because I love them. They are ideal pets because they sleep half of the year. You just provide them with somewhere secure to sleep, keep them clean and feed them. They are not noisy or demanding, dont have to be taken for walks, and dont come up demanding affection. However they do have a tendency to roam and I was worried they would get out of the garden or be stolen. They are also quite expensive. Chris said he would make an enclosure for them but ive never got around to buying any. They would certainly outlive me.

klondike

« Reply #42 on: Sep 20, 2020, 11:07:13 AM »
> Birds in cages to not appeal to me nor do fish.

Fish in cages is a definite No No  ;D

Tortoises are expensive because the cruel way they were shipped was banned. My parents bought me one for half a crown and it only had 3 legs. These days I would have kept it but my mother took it back to the market stall. The trader grudgingly changed it while muttering "it was all right when you had it"  ;D
So long and thanks for all the fish

biglouis

« Reply #43 on: Sep 21, 2020, 01:03:32 AM »
Yes I know how cruelly treated they were. You used to be able to buy them in the local Jones per shop for a couple of shillings which is why I had so many. I had a large one with only three legs once but it used to tear along at a tremendous speed. It had been left behind in the shop and I took pity on it. We used to race them down the yard by putting lettice at the end. The problem was they wouldn't always go in a straight line.

When I left home to live in a flat I had to re-home 3 tortoises but was fortunate to find a couple who kept a kind of animal sanctuary and they had 80 already! They were quite eccentric - spiritualists and naturists. That was how I became involved with spiritualism for a time. My sister in law was the medium.

I never became involved with naturism - too damned cold in this country.

Cassandra

« Reply #44 on: Sep 21, 2020, 03:52:47 PM »
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...