Author Topic: England v Pakistan 1st Test  (Read 6592 times)

Cassandra

Re: England v Pakistan 1st Test
« Reply #15 on: Aug 05, 2020, 10:41:06 PM »
Loved watching Barbar, but the one quikish 88 mph - short ball he got, at least the only one on the highlights, did seem to trouble him, but if it was repeated, it wasn’t shown
Mike

I picked up three which he was clearly uncomfortable with. All short lifters and importantly from Archer, who has particularly nasty rib cracker pitching only just short of a length. Broad (6,5") has a good one too, all though his is more a throat ball and a yard slower than Archer's through the air too.

Young Curran is also good at 'adam crushers', despite being a bit slower he does have the left handers angle to help and he conceals them very well too?
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #16 on: Aug 05, 2020, 10:46:35 PM »
Yes, but unless I missed it, the speed of the other two wasn’t shown,and that 88 effort did seem to trouble him the most.
Again, the highlights may have given a false impression, but Anderson did seem to stray to leg a fair bit

Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Cassandra

« Reply #17 on: Aug 05, 2020, 10:58:39 PM »
Yes, but unless I missed it, the speed of the other two wasn’t shown,and that 88 effort did seem to trouble him the most.
Again, the highlights may have given a false impression, but Anderson did seem to stray to leg a fair bitMike

Anderson just bowls too many four balls these days. At a million a year, they don't resign these days either. As the 'Waitrose' establishment will never fire him; perhaps he'll still be around at 65 - bit like 'Uncle Tom' played by Dick Murdoch in the Rumpole of the Bailey TV series! :)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #18 on: Aug 06, 2020, 04:16:34 AM »
Yes, unless he raises his game for the rest of the match, I feel his time has surely come. Do we know if Stokes is able to bowl? As he hasn’t been used yet, presumably not
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #19 on: Aug 06, 2020, 07:22:47 AM »
In one of the reports the comment was made that Anderson has bowled more balls in Tests than any other pace bowler, which set me thinking and comparing: -
Anderson 33,211 balls, 154 matches, 589 wickets – 216 balls per match, strike rate 56.4 balls per wicket
Broad 28506, 141, 501, 202, 56.9
Statham 16056, 70, 229, 63.7
Trueman 15178,67, 307,227,49.4

I was a bit surprised that Broad and Anderson have done almost as much bowling per match as Statham and Trueman and have a better strike rate that Brian – but Fred – a wicket less than every 50 deliveries from ‘t greatest fast bowler as ever lived!
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #20 on: Aug 06, 2020, 11:52:03 AM »
In one of the reports the comment was made that Anderson has bowled more balls in Tests than any other pace bowler, which set me thinking and comparing: -
Anderson 33,211 balls, 154 matches, 589 wickets – 216 balls per match, strike rate 56.4 balls per wicket
Broad 28506, 141, 501, 202, 56.9
Statham 16056, 70, 229, 63.7
Trueman 15178,67, 307,227,49.4

I was a bit surprised that Broad and Anderson have done almost as much bowling per match as Statham and Trueman and have a better strike rate that Brian – but Fred – a wicket less than every 50 deliveries from ‘t greatest fast bowler as ever lived!
Mike

Of course we're in the hall of the greats with all these exceptional players - but I've always rated bowlers on the 'ow much' formula it works out like this"

Fred Trueman       Tests 21.57 per wicket - FC 18.29
Brian Statham      Tests 24.84 per wicket -  FC 16.87
James Anderson   Tests 26.85 per wicket -  FC 24.95
Stuart Broad        Tests 27.95 per wicket -  FC 27.15

Fred easily the best and Statham a wonderful second. Plus they had to bowl up to a 1,000 overs a season - no million pound a year pampered surroundings contracts, etc etc.

But they did have third man boundary fielders in those days of course, something the Joe Root, modern give it away Yorkshireman considers unnecessary!

Diasi

« Reply #21 on: Aug 06, 2020, 12:06:11 PM »

But they did have third man boundary fielders in those days of course, something the Joe Root, modern give it away Yorkshireman considers unnecessary!

Could it be said that he's the root of England's problems?

Not that I know if there are any problems.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Cassandra

« Reply #22 on: Aug 06, 2020, 12:10:59 PM »
Could it be said that he's the root of England's problems?

Not that I know if there are any problems.

He's very likely the square root of intractability, a not unknown trait from his area of origination :) 

Michael Rolls

« Reply #23 on: Aug 06, 2020, 01:16:49 PM »
Cassandra
Totally agree regarding averages - I was just intrigued by the comment that Anderson had done more bowling in Tests than any other pace bowler.
I think I am right is saying that the late Bob Willis, with an average in Tests of a bit over 25, was the most recent England seamer to have an average that low
I do wonder how Brian and Fred would have reacted to 20/20/'ee, lad, four overs? I'll not tak me sweater off!'
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #24 on: Aug 06, 2020, 01:41:42 PM »
Cassandra
Totally agree regarding averages - I was just intrigued by the comment that Anderson had done more bowling in Tests than any other pace bowler.
I think I am right is saying that the late Bob Willis, with an average in Tests of a bit over 25, was the most recent England seamer to have an average that low
I do wonder how Brian and Fred would have reacted to 20/20/'ee, lad, four overs? I'll not tak me sweater off!'
Mike

Fred would have had a good laugh and "banked t'cash lad and no danger". Jimmy was used a lot in his pomp and when his control was so good. Dear Bob Willis many people forget just how good he became. Behind that mercurial action and the 'back to the future' profile was a brilliant and dedicated bowler, I liked Darren Gough too. Not as economical perhaps (28.49) but reminiscent of Fred so much in build and that beautiful side on action, a joy to watch. A shade more costly but a fine proponent of the noble art Andrew Caddick was a fine performer I always thought?

Fred's the king for me, I never ever expect to see anything as good again. Classic tumbling action, wonderful natural away swinger, wicked bouncer, frightening speed!

Irrepressible spirit too, he possessed the heart of a lion and a Yorkshire lion at that!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #25 on: Aug 06, 2020, 02:39:43 PM »
I do wish it was possible to type with a Yorkshire accent! Some of his comments over the years will never leave my memory, but the one which was a real gem (I have probably quoted it before) was when Brian Johnson referred to Derek Pringle as one of England's fast bowlers. 'Fast? FAST? You call 'im FAST?' with 'fast' said with a very, very short 'a' sound
Don't know what's going off out there as Fred would have said. Bess and Root bowling five offers for 25 - OK new ball was due soon, but with four seamers available, surely at least one seamer and a spinner would have been a better idea? As it is, that interlude seems to have set Pakistan up nicely - after a good morning, the match is slipping away again
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #26 on: Aug 06, 2020, 03:07:04 PM »
I do wish it was possible to type with a Yorkshire accent! Some of his comments over the years will never leave my memory, but the one which was a real gem (I have probably quoted it before) was when Brian Johnson referred to Derek Pringle as one of England's fast bowlers. 'Fast? FAST? You call 'im FAST?' with 'fast' said with a very, very short 'a' sound
Don't know what's going off out there as Fred would have said. Bess and Root bowling five offers for 25 - OK new ball was due soon, but with four seamers available, surely at least one seamer and a spinner would have been a better idea? As it is, that interlude seems to have set Pakistan up nicely - after a good morning, the match is slipping away again
Mike

Absolutely spot on Mike 'I don't know whats going on out there' I heard his voice as I read it and miss it so much. I lost both him and my Yorkie mentor Gordon Barker within 18 months of each other, now there's only GB left from the back end of that era.

The only hope left is that Michael Vaughan won't get sacked for his accent, sex, nationality or not WOKE enough attitude.

Fat chance! There must be a BBC biddy on the perch with her fo-eeen ready to jump!

Diasi

« Reply #27 on: Aug 06, 2020, 03:20:27 PM »
I do wish it was possible to type with a Yorkshire accent!

Tha bloody well can if't tha practises ard enuf.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #28 on: Aug 06, 2020, 03:34:58 PM »
Tha bloody well can if't tha practises ard enuf.
😁😁👍👍

Michael Rolls

« Reply #29 on: Aug 06, 2020, 03:59:53 PM »
Butler has dropped another catch. His mistakes to date must have gifted Pakistan 100+ runs.
Mike