Author Topic: Start Asking Questions!  (Read 4863 times)

klondike

Re: Start Asking Questions!
« Reply #345 on: Oct 13, 2020, 10:55:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the bulk of his work was non fiction  :o

I've just copied all his Foundation books over onto the phone having just finished King's Misery. I hope the readers will be good as they are as important as the authors for audiobooks.

zoony

« Reply #346 on: Oct 13, 2020, 10:59:41 PM »
Don't know King's Mi..Ah..Stephen.. I thought it was an Asimov title I'd never heard of! ;D  The Foundation Trilogy was probably my first BIG read..Always had a suspicion that it was the root of Star Wars myself..
A man said: You can always tell a lady, but you can't tell her much.. (Moliere maybe?)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #347 on: Oct 13, 2020, 11:01:07 PM »
Ultimately there were four laws. The Zeroeth Law. Canít claim to quote it exactly, but effectively said a robot could not harm, nor through inaction allow harm to happen to, mankind. Canít remember which book it came in
Mike
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #348 on: Oct 13, 2020, 11:18:31 PM »
He wrote books which brought together the robots empire and Foundation universes much later than the originals were produced.

The broad brush from memory as detail eludes me now...

The zeroeth law was cooked up in the last (I think) of the Elijah Bailey and R.Daneel Olivaw robot detective series which was set before the Empire period to explain the absence of robots in that and the later still Foundation periods. It came from an apparently simple robot name Giscard accidentally being constructed with telepathy and the ability to mentally influence humans which he then taught to Daneel. The robots realised that the very existence of robots was killing off the drive necessary for man to populate the galaxy and organised things using that zeroeth law for them to be no longer constructed.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #349 on: Oct 13, 2020, 11:22:09 PM »
Great! I had forgotten everything except the creation of the law! Comes back very slightly - thanks
Mike

zoony

« Reply #350 on: Oct 13, 2020, 11:58:41 PM »
He wrote books which brought together the robots empire and Foundation universes much later than the originals were produced.

The broad brush from memory as detail eludes me now...

The zeroeth law was cooked up in the last (I think) of the Elijah Bailey and R.Daneel Olivaw robot detective series which was set before the Empire period to explain the absence of robots in that and the later still Foundation periods. It came from an apparently simple robot name Giscard accidentally being constructed with telepathy and the ability to mentally influence humans which he then taught to Daneel. The robots realised that the very existence of robots was killing off the drive necessary for man to populate the galaxy and organised things using that zeroeth law for them to be no longer constructed.

Fair play to you for remembering..Names too! Perhaps I'd moved on by the time he wrote that..No bells ring..
A man said: You can always tell a lady, but you can't tell her much.. (Moliere maybe?)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #351 on: Oct 14, 2020, 04:04:33 AM »
I do remember reading that book, though for the life of me, no idea what it was called, and being amazed at how Asimov had tied in the development of R. Daneel Olivaw into a sort of super force for good for the world, and a bit sad at his decision that robots must move out of mankindís way and let us develop by ourselves
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #352 on: Oct 14, 2020, 04:05:32 AM »
By Ďhisí I mean the robot

klondike

« Reply #353 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:23:50 AM »
Once I've listened to all the books again I'll remember. For a while at least.

I've just started on Prelude to Foundation and immediately remembered that the Emperor's First Minister Demerzel is in fact the robot Daneel Olivaw who by chance as part of the plot line was made fully humanoid way back when Caves of Steel was written. I don't remember when that reveal appears in this book if it in fact does - it could be in a later book because he certainly keeps cropping up.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #354 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:53:10 AM »
Iíd forgotten that (like most things 😢😢)
Mike