Author Topic: jellied eels,?  (Read 681 times)

Alfred

jellied eels,?
« on: Aug 10, 2020, 02:14:34 PM »
Although i have never been tempted to try eating them, my wife how ever does like them, and so it seems not many supermarkets or shops seem to stock them either,  there used to be several shops that did sell them in southend on sea, and so one has closed down the other doesn't stock them,

so is jellied going out of  favour, ?? as the nearest place i could find is west cliff on sea, where there are a number of lock up stalls that do sell them, and they are around 7 miles from where i live,

of course, on rare occasions asda does get them in but very very rarely, more like a freak accident being delivered more by error than to sell, on the shelf.

Q; so do you like sea food and what of jellied eels in particular, lobster, prawns and shrimps is as far as i go,   what about you , are you into sea food ??

sparky

Re: jellied eels,?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2020, 02:27:35 PM »
Prawns, whelks, crab, yep, luvlly jublly,  but its stewed eels for me, rather than jellied. which my late wife loved.
 Alf, its hard to  imagine Southend without plenty of places for jellied eels, I lived about 40mis from there so I/we spent so much time there as youngsters.

Raven

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2020, 03:00:30 PM »
The only sea food I like is Tuna, eat that any time. I'll also eat cod from the chippy when we get Fish Suppers. But that's it..

granny moss

« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2020, 03:49:31 PM »
In Italy, a lot of FRESH fish is been eaten. I loved fresh small sardines. After been cleaned, just dusted in flour and fried quickly in very hot olive oil, till crisp....delicious ! Love white bait. and tinned tuna or salmond. My husband could not stand the smell of fish ! But liked a good sole in nice old fashioned batter, nice and crisp. I could not eat eels....Remember in Ilford, years ago on a Sunday, a small cart pushed by a fishmonger doing the rounds. Father in law, loved eels....gmx

Flying bomb

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2020, 04:20:51 PM »
The old pie and eel shop in Dalston, London had the
live eels in the front of the shop on trays.
The front window opened up and the eels'  heads
were cut off whilst still live for passers by to watch.
If the Buck stops here how can the Doe go all the way ?

Albert.

klondike

« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2020, 04:21:21 PM »
For those not fond of seafood I'd advise giving the "onion rings" a miss in some Spanish dishes.
So long and thanks for all the fish

biglouis

« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2020, 05:21:30 PM »
Oh noooooo - they sound slimy! I hate anything slimy like winkles, pilchards, etc.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2020, 05:58:10 PM »
Not for me either. Prawns yes please, and we're having salmon for tea. But cockles, winkles, whelks, no thanks.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2020, 06:12:39 PM »
Never tried jellied eels - the very description is enough to put me off, but just about anything else from the water  - even eaten shark
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2020, 06:18:40 PM »
You can just walk out on the sand and gather cockles here. They are filter feeders and those who prepare them here put them in water with flour at the bottom to clear out whatever they have been feeding on. (I'm vague on the details as I don't know and don't want to) I think they are then boiled and doused in vinegar. I reckon anything that has to be soaked in vinegar either has no taste or an unpleasant taste that needs disguising.

My end point of the recipe would be to salt and pepper the batch before consigning them to the bin.

klondike

« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2020, 06:20:34 PM »
Never tried jellied eels - the very description is enough to put me off, but just about anything else from the water  - even eaten shark
Mike
Apparently shark is quite a delicacy. I almost had some on a work trip to Spain. Why I didn't is a long story which I may tell here one day but not today.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2020, 06:25:50 PM »
There is an antique place a few miles away which is fascinating to wander around, and also has a restaurant, which is where I had shark a few years back, perhaps five or so. Always have interesting things on the menu. Hopefully I will be able to go back there one day
Mike 😿

klondike

« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2020, 06:27:59 PM »
You wouldn't have wanted to go to the place I "almost" had a shark steak. You most definitely wouldn't have wanted what I ended up with instead.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Aug 10, 2020, 06:29:35 PM »
🤞🤞🤞

klondike

« Reply #14 on: Aug 10, 2020, 06:34:23 PM »
To round off that particular evening having been nominated as driver after I was already over English drink drive limits on returning to the hotel car park some dozy Spanish policeman had badly parked his car on the end of a row and I clipped it negotiating the corner. Luckily he and his opo were in the bar. This was some time in the 70s and drink drive was not well observed back then.