Author Topic: I Despair.I live in  (Read 756 times)

Cee Gee

I Despair.I live in
« on: Aug 11, 2020, 10:08:34 AM »
I live in Chadderton a district in Oldham. The council in Oldham is fast moving away from democracy towards a dictatorship. The constitution is continually being changed using back door clandestine methods and not for the better. Power is being devolved from committee's to individuals. We had district executives, now disestablished by the regime, the budget allowance for the districts ended and replaced by a fund of half the previous amount that is now subject to a bid process. The latest is that a small group, organised by four labour councillors, have been encouraged by the labour controlled council to apply for the whole of the Chadderton district to be a designated area, also this group to apply for designated forum with a rebrand from Chadderton together to The Chadderton Partnership. This group have not involved all the residents in the formation of the partnership, indeed 75% of residents are not even aware of what is going on. If this group have their applications approved their constitution gives them exeptional powers. The applications are at present subject to a consultation but this is only going through the motions and will be decided not by committee but an individual. Now do you see why I despair. >:( >:( >:( >:( 

Alex22

Re: I Despair.I live in
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2020, 10:29:43 AM »
Do you have Facebook CG  ?  there's a site called I Love Chadderton perhaps there are other worried residents.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2020, 01:25:34 PM »
I dispaired with Oldham and Chadderton back in 1988. I had thriving businesses in both Rochdale and Heywood. Living close to the Rose of Lancaster the place had a charm of it's own.

This all changed when I became aware of what the future schooling would be offering my children who were 7 at the time. I didn't like what I saw and what's more I could see that it would get no better.

I sold the businesses and our home and moved to the peace and tranquility of the countryside in the South East.
Best decision I ever made. Crime in the area was almost zero, with no immigrants.

Last visted Chadderton a few years back and thought that I pity those that remain there.

Cee Gee

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2020, 01:40:54 PM »
Do you have Facebook CG  ?  there's a site called I Love Chadderton perhaps there are other worried residents.

Alex that site is run by a local councillor who vetts contributions and deletes posts on a regular basis.

mick607

« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2020, 02:50:19 PM »
I live in Chadderton a district in Oldham. The council in Oldham is fast moving away from democracy towards a dictatorship. The constitution is continually being changed using back door clandestine methods and not for the better. Power is being devolved from committee's to individuals. We had district executives, now disestablished by the regime, the budget allowance for the districts ended and replaced by a fund of half the previous amount that is now subject to a bid process. The latest is that a small group, organised by four labour councillors, have been encouraged by the labour controlled council to apply for the whole of the Chadderton district to be a designated area, also this group to apply for designated forum with a rebrand from Chadderton together to The Chadderton Partnership. This group have not involved all the residents in the formation of the partnership, indeed 75% of residents are not even aware of what is going on. If this group have their applications approved their constitution gives them exeptional powers. The applications are at present subject to a consultation but this is only going through the motions and will be decided not by committee but an individual. Now do you see why I despair. >:( >:( >:( >:(
Your council sound like a bunch of little angels compared to the sh!te we have running our city councul.Nottm city council work the opposite way to Midas, turning gold in to worthless bits of paper.Robin Hood Energy for one losing a record £23 million is just one bad example among many others.

Cassandra

« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2020, 04:38:38 PM »
I played cricket quite a few times at nearby 'Royton Cricket club' in the 70's and early 80's. I was invited back to a dinner only last year. Got there in the dark and was chauffeured to the clubhouse by the friend I was staying with. The next day (Saturday) driving around and into Oldham, I was truly stunned at the transformation to the area in my 35 years absence. Scruffy now by large, but the change to the 'ethnicity profile' of the populous was amazing to behold! I was glad I had to be in Chester for lunch and hit the M62 early!
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2020, 04:42:27 PM »
When Victoria and family came over from Spain in 2011 they stayed in Oldham for six months - having arranged it all from Spain, they were a bit taken aback at what they found - they did not take up the option of extending the lease!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2020, 08:08:10 PM »
Cee Gee your council is what as known as the Cabinet system.  From 2000 many local authorities moved away from the old committee system, meaning far fewer councillors have a say in decision making.  The leader and a few cabinet members.    Here in Sheffield a petition was raised because people were unhappy with the system.  We're now awaiting a local referendum.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Cee Gee

« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2020, 12:55:58 AM »
Dismay is now added to despair. dismay to see these comments on the town where I was born and raised. Thanks GM for your post you have given direction for which to follow with a new Oldham political group that I am joining.  :) :)

Cassandra

« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2020, 02:33:03 AM »
Dismay is now added to despair. dismay to see these comments on the town where I was born and raised. Thanks GM for your post you have given direction for which to follow with a new Oldham political group that I am joining.  :) :)

Cee Gee,

I raise from Ilford in Essex, once a busy smart town, first stop into Essex from London's old East End. It's similarly (IMO) been degraded (sic). All my family including my Parents and Brother are buried there. I last visited 5 years ago I'm afraid to say and was horrified at the 'transformation'. I called on an old friend of my parents, whose sad words will live with me forever.

"Its just not our place anymore. I wake up every Friday with loudspeakers blaring out the call - you lot were right to get out while you could - I'm too old now and I feel so lonely."

The millenials call it progress. I have another word for it I'm afraid, which we are not allowed to mention anywhere, to anyone - except in private. The way its going the 'thought police' will soon be prosecuting that too. Starting with new legislation via Citizen Sturgeon.

granny moss

« Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2020, 06:28:37 AM »
A lot of understandable complaints from unhappy citizens of different Councils. But we do have the power of the vote...to elect the ones THEY have already  chosen amongst  themselves....? :o for US .... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D gmx

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2020, 06:31:41 AM »
this is the problem, especially at council level. You aren't told how to vote - after all this is a democracy - but you are told who you can vote for, and 'none of the above' doesn't really solve anything
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

granny moss

« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2020, 06:49:54 AM »
Cassandra. Micky and I bought our first small home in Ilford ! I loved the place!  Was very happy there. We lived next to South Park. Played tennis there every Sunday morning.  Cycled , with a picnic basket on the handlebar, all the way to Southend...We were so young ! The first arterial road was laid all the way to the sea..It had at both sides, a cycle lane...and roundabouts !!! I think it was laid with large concrete  slabs ? I learned to drive in Southend and failed my test 5 times !!! Loved Epping Forest. London was incredible, and we attended the Ballet, Opera, and Thomas Arnodl's Ice escapades at the Hippodrome...Had evening drinks with collegues at the Savoy grill, before going home in the evening. Micky and I worked in Leadenhall street. He was chief accountant for the shipping line Shaw-Savills and I was in the accounts dept of a Insurance company, I believe it was called Willis, Faber and Dumas ?  Had wonderfu times.   Now there are mostly Indians that live there. Right up to Cranbrook and around.  Houses there sell at over £600.000. I know, because my sister in law lived there till she passed away.I have been told not to go back to the place, as I would not recognise it. I feel so sad.  gmx

Alex22

« Reply #13 on: Aug 12, 2020, 01:05:42 PM »

Alex that site is run by a local councillor who vetts contributions and deletes posts on a regular basis.

OIC,  but you could always start you own page/group !

Cassandra

« Reply #14 on: Aug 12, 2020, 04:40:50 PM »
Cassandra. Micky and I bought our first small home in Ilford ! I loved the place!  Was very happy there. We lived next to South Park. Played tennis there every Sunday morning.  Cycled , with a picnic basket on the handlebar, all the way to Southend...We were so young ! The first arterial road was laid all the way to the sea..It had at both sides, a cycle lane...and roundabouts !!! I think it was laid with large concrete  slabs ? I learned to drive in Southend and failed my test 5 times !!! Loved Epping Forest. London was incredible, and we attended the Ballet, Opera, and Thomas Arnodl's Ice escapades at the Hippodrome...Had evening drinks with collegues at the Savoy grill, before going home in the evening. Micky and I worked in Leadenhall street. He was chief accountant for the shipping line Shaw-Savills and I was in the accounts dept of a Insurance company, I believe it was called Willis, Faber and Dumas ?  Had wonderfu times.   Now there are mostly Indians that live there. Right up to Cranbrook and around.  Houses there sell at over £600.000. I know, because my sister in law lived there till she passed away.I have been told not to go back to the place, as I would not recognise it. I feel so sad.  gmx

We lived in Holcombe Road off The Cranbrook near the Wash and our house backed onto Valentines Park that incorporated the Essex County Cricket ground. Later as the invaders encroached we moved out to Eppping and then mum and dad went even further to Ongar. My first flat was in Forest Road Loughton a pleasant walk from the Central Line station. I had friends who lived in Gyllyngdune Gardens Goodmayes, not far from South Park and my Uncle ran the boats there on the Lake. I honestly couldn't face the heartache again of seeing the debacle it's now become and will leave memory unstained from ruin. Ex council houses in East Ham are £600k. Stay away is good advice!