Author Topic: Russian vaccine  (Read 3888 times)

Cassandra

Re: Russian vaccine
« Reply #30 on: Aug 13, 2020, 01:50:28 AM »
What a little beauty !

Thanks Alex, she's also got a lovely nature, very gentle and actually grins, with a funny little grimace as she hops on her back legs.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #31 on: Aug 13, 2020, 05:52:00 AM »
Sounds a character as well as a beauty!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

xetog

« Reply #32 on: Aug 13, 2020, 09:38:26 AM »
Many years ago now as part of my degree I took a course with the title "Executive Decision Making".  It centred around NHS life evaluation techniques and measures called QUALIES or value of the quality of life that you could expect if you received a certain treatment.  At the time, I think a QUALI was worth about £30,000, so depending how a clinician decided would be your quality of life would be after treatment would be the amount of money they were allowed to spend on you.  Naturally as you got older both your quality of life and its length would be less so the number of 'QUALIES' awarded to you would be less.

I could go on talking about Gold Standard treatment assessment etc, but it gets even more boring and I am surprised I remember as much as I do.  I had expected to be instructed in techniques for assessing risk and maybe evaluation methodologies, but this system struck me as horrifyingly stilted and missing judgement on the part of clinicians.  Life or death is more likely to be judged by computer algorithms with little human input.

As far as the Russian vaccine is concerned, I think of Concordski, the Russian rip off of Concorde that was rushed into production without sufficient testing with dreadful results.  As I understand it, this vaccine has been tested on only 34 people before being rushed into production simply to beat the west to the draw, hardly a basis for confidence, but I don't imagine a few more deaths and disablements is a worry in a totalitarian state.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

klondike

« Reply #33 on: Aug 13, 2020, 10:04:06 AM »
As I understand it, this vaccine has been tested on only 34 people before being rushed into production simply to beat the west to the draw,
In the story I read it was 38. Perhaps the 34 are those that survived?
So long and thanks for all the fish

Akbuk

« Reply #34 on: Aug 13, 2020, 10:08:37 AM »
I think the West have underestimated the Russians for decades......in every department.
I’m a real he/him.

xetog

« Reply #35 on: Aug 13, 2020, 10:12:23 AM »
34/38 - 38/34, either way it doesn't add up to much scientific testing.  I see a senior Russian doctor has resigned over the issue.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

klondike

« Reply #36 on: Aug 13, 2020, 10:16:01 AM »
Expect an announcement that Boris has ordered 50million doses of it sometime next week.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #37 on: Aug 13, 2020, 10:16:56 AM »
And sends them back the week after
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Akbuk

« Reply #38 on: Aug 13, 2020, 10:34:10 AM »
Whoever, wherever & if ever a vaccine is found, it will be replicated in the likes of India, China, Russia etc under a different name. If one of the afore do come up with a vaccine, the West will replicate as well & why not?
I’m a real he/him.

Ashy

« Reply #39 on: Aug 13, 2020, 10:46:46 AM »
And sends them back the week after
Mike
They won't send it back, it will be incinerated with all the other things we don't use like soap, masks and surgical gowns.

klondike

« Reply #40 on: Aug 13, 2020, 10:50:48 AM »
Whoever, wherever & if ever a vaccine is found, it will be replicated in the likes of India, China, Russia etc under a different name. If one of the afore do come up with a vaccine, the West will replicate as well & why not?
The why not should be obvious. Pharmaceutical companies are not charitable institutions. If they cannot recover development costs then they won't bother developing in the future. Not to say that they aren't all money grabbing gits just as all other businesses are.

Akbuk

« Reply #41 on: Aug 13, 2020, 11:21:13 AM »
The why not should be obvious. Pharmaceutical companies are not charitable institutions. If they cannot recover development costs then they won't bother developing in the future. Not to say that they aren't all money grabbing gits just as all other businesses are.

Well I reckon replication will be on the cards, Nations body counts will dictate what  countries do.
Will China bother if a pharmaceutical in Italy comes up with a vaccine? The Chinese replicate everything.
I’m a real he/him.

klondike

« Reply #42 on: Aug 13, 2020, 12:10:06 PM »
Of course they will copy if they can but there is no guarantee that a copied vaccine will be exactly the same. They may go for licencing deals instead. Big pharma makes its money in the west and offers cheap licensing to the third world so long as those products don't make it back as competition.

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #43 on: Aug 13, 2020, 12:28:12 PM »

Ashy

« Reply #44 on: Aug 13, 2020, 12:57:17 PM »
No virus could survive that.