Author Topic: Irritating computers bullies....  (Read 1138 times)

klondike

Re: Irritating computers bullies....
« Reply #15 on: Aug 12, 2020, 05:12:34 PM »
If you think there have been no improvements then you clearly don't remember WFWG 3.11 very well. Now had you said since Windows XP......
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #16 on: Aug 12, 2020, 05:19:34 PM »
It worked fine for me. I still have an XP machine in the workshop which is a last resort in case anything happens to the others, and again, I can’t see - apart from no longer being supported- that it suffers in comparison with later OSs
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #17 on: Aug 12, 2020, 05:36:21 PM »
The trouble with the early versions of windows was the memory limitations of MSDOS which they sat on top of. I don't remember the exact details as I never worked with PCs on a professional basis only as a poor sod who needed them to do his job. Trying to get important software such as Leisure Suit Larry working reliably took an age.

Cassandra

« Reply #18 on: Aug 12, 2020, 06:00:29 PM »
One thing that has always irritated me with Microsoft is tithe frequent reinventing of the wheel. I started using Windows over 20 years ago with WFWG 3.11. Despite all the chages, so far as I am concerned, the only improvements have been the ability to use file names of more than eight characters and Words ability to cope with much bigger files - I have several of over 300k words whereas in early days it gave up at about 100k if that
Mike

Their all at it. Conniving hucksters, who want to update you to prevent what you've got and is adequate prevailing. I've had Macs since 1984. The original 'Apple' word processing software 'MacWrite' was written by Bill Atkins and incorporated in a brilliant little suite called 'Appleworks'. Then along comes 'barrowboy' Gates who Stole 'Windows' from Apple's Steve Wozniak and created the evil empire of 'Microsoft' contemporaneously getting the derailed IBM to accept his equally 'Woz' pirated MsDos operating system.

Thanks to his skilled deviety and moral machinations as Mac users to this day we have to utilise his 'Office' software with all its update redundancy traps etc.

However as Woz took only 6 chips to do everything Gates lot could do with 16, Apple survived.

Fortunately he failed to bust Steve Jobs and the Woz in the 80's, despite deploying every dirty rotten trick in the book. Thankfully we have Apple OSX and its derivatives as the desktop. That said, Apple is as full of cheats as Microsoft these days!

Lovely world.

My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #19 on: Aug 12, 2020, 06:05:47 PM »
I remember my high powered 286 machine.......
Mike

richmond62

« Reply #20 on: Aug 12, 2020, 07:34:01 PM »
I have never used Windows.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: Aug 12, 2020, 07:39:27 PM »
How do you see out of the house?
Mike 🙂🙂

richmond62

« Reply #22 on: Aug 12, 2020, 07:41:33 PM »
Ha, Ha: just stick my head through one of the holes in the roof.  8)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #23 on: Aug 12, 2020, 07:42:22 PM »
I knew you'd have a solution
Mike 👍👍👍

Diasi

« Reply #24 on: Aug 12, 2020, 09:03:16 PM »
Apple's biggest achievement has been it's ability to fool their devotees into actually believing that their products are virus & hacker-proof & don't spy on their users.

https://bit.ly/30Qpqa5
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #25 on: Aug 12, 2020, 09:28:50 PM »
You forgot about pricing their products at a level that made Apple the richest corporation on the planet although after checking I see that they have lost that crown.

The thing I don't like about the company is the way everything is locked down. It's a case of do things the Apple way or you can't do it at all.

Cassandra

« Reply #26 on: Aug 13, 2020, 12:54:59 AM »
You forgot about pricing their products at a level that made Apple the richest corporation on the planet although after checking I see that they have lost that crown.

The thing I don't like about the company is the way everything is locked down. It's a case of do things the Apple way or you can't do it at all.

Completely agree, their 'Apps' Shop scam is a clear example! In reality now I hate Apple for the nasty arrogant corporation that it's become. Fits in well today generally with all the 'mission statement' lies that freely abound.

I spoke historically, they are reliable and don't seem to go through the reverberations that 'Window's' updates seem to promulgate. As long as my three last whatever short time I have left that's all I care?

klondike

« Reply #27 on: Aug 13, 2020, 09:26:01 AM »
Another thing to mention is their planned obsolescence.

I normally won't touch Apple stuff because of the pricing and how locked in you are to them. My wife is a real technophobe but mentioned she might try an iPad. I bought one for her. The only users of it were the grandchildren. Now you can't add any games or apps to it as Apple decree it is obsolete. A PC from that era would probably struggle to run Windows 10 but is still capable of running most freeware which you can download and install. You can't add anything to the iPad purely because Apple say you can't.

Cassandra

« Reply #28 on: Aug 13, 2020, 01:12:30 PM »
Another thing to mention is their planned obsolescence.

I normally won't touch Apple stuff because of the pricing and how locked in you are to them. My wife is a real technophobe but mentioned she might try an iPad. I bought one for her. The only users of it were the grandchildren. Now you can't add any games or apps to it as Apple decree it is obsolete. A PC from that era would probably struggle to run Windows 10 but is still capable of running most freeware which you can download and install. You can't add anything to the iPad purely because Apple say you can't.

Didn't know that? I now just plough on with what I've got. Two Imacs, Airbook and Ipad2 - the latter which I've only used a couple of times and took my younger godchild an hour of fevered activity etc only a few days ago to get working after six years of storage. I update the Imacs and Airbook automatically until the hucksters prevent me. Then every five years or so I get a newer replacement from an ex client who seems to grow the things!

I've just been told by Bill, Bill the vaccine man that my Office 2016 suite is no longer to be supported. I couldn't care less except one day it will just stop working I suppose, when it will still doubtlessly cover my needs perfectly. Also worryingly, their latest ruse (MS) is to only rent the software monthly! Witness soon that becoming the 'exclusive' position (i.e no one off purchase and updates) ...

I do know Apple used to be a pain to get printers to link up too, or anything that needs a software download to work, as the world of course is dominated by the PC. I only replace secondhand as their price new is excessive to me; being as I don't want to topple Sam6 missiles, or win 'tour of duty', 3 milliseconds quicker than the yoof next door in 27 million colours etc. Last year when I had the Imacs Rams upped and SSHD's fitted, my man thought the Mighty Apple might pack up computers to concentrate on their iphone and music markets anyway!

klondike

« Reply #29 on: Aug 13, 2020, 01:18:32 PM »
The thing about Windows though is that you can run the perfectly serviceable LibreOffice or OpenOffice suites and aren't locked into whatever MS decree you can use. As is the case with Linux or Android.

Amazon would like to tie you down too but as it is easy to add the Google Play store to their devices you can break the chains and use their subsidised tablets.