Author Topic: England v Pakistan 2nd Test  (Read 3375 times)

Michael Rolls

England v Pakistan 2nd Test
« on: Aug 12, 2020, 06:47:50 PM »
Joe Root has confirmed that Jimmy Anderson will play, although as yet, apart from Crawley coming into the side, no other team news.Hope I am proved wrong, but I do wonder about Anderson, given his recent form
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

Re: England v Pakistan 2nd Test
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2020, 07:38:30 PM »
I'm sure that yours is a better judged opinion than mine Mike but he gets the benefit of my doubts for now. I think he's one that will know when to go and that'll be that..A nice fivefer on Day 1 will do nicely.. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2020, 07:41:39 PM »
Here's hoping - but his recent record isn't good - in his last ten tests he has taken 25 wickets , but 12 of those were in just two games - 13 wickets in 8 games fro your principal strike bowler doesn't sound too hot
Mike

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2020, 07:47:01 PM »
There you go with your statistics again. ;) ...He's obviously not what he was, which of us is? I wonder why he was so good in the two games he got 6 in (or whatever)? There might be a correlation..

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2020, 11:23:07 PM »
It was a 7 and a 5. Cannot remember without checking which I can’t manage on the tablet, but I look. I have assumed it to be an illustration that his great consistency of yore has gone, but I may be being unfair
Mike

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2020, 11:37:29 PM »
We shall certainly see...Were we in different circumstances I might hazard a bob or two on a result..

cowboy wisdom.

Cassandra

« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2020, 12:19:39 AM »
Statistics are what Cricket is all about, from the scorecard to the means of team choice. Anderson will play, bowl tight for the first hour and then fade away. Root is so close to the wall of his problem that he can't see around it, he is schematically unsighted.

If we were like Pakistan we'd give a younger quick the chance, like this young lad Masood from Lancashire. Mind you he's only 23 and it seems you have to be past 30 as a seamer before you get a chance today! Alternatively Ollie Robinson f/c Average under 23 a wicket was in as back up for Ben as a bowler last time - is he still in the reckoning, we'll see?

I think its all about the million squids a year today - let Anderson have this enormous sinecure, until pension age, as long as he stays the drinks waiter. He'll never walk, not now thats for sure!

FST was 21 when he first played for England and his stats speak for themselves as the greatest fast bowler we're likely to ever have. He also had the decency to stand down when his time was up, as did his great confederate Brian Statham!
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2020, 07:29:53 AM »
Zoony
Jimmy’s two good tests in his most recent (nearly typed ‘last’ – silly me!) Tests were against South Africa in Cape Town in January of this year and against the West Indies in January of last year. In Cape Town he took 7 for 63 – 5-40 in the first innings, 2-23 in the second in a match England won.
In Bridgetown he took 5-104, 5-46in the first innings, 0-58 in the second. This game England lost – very heavily.

Taking the two games together he took 12 for 167 at an average of 13.92, and an overall strike rate of a wicket every 42.5 deliveries, impressive by anyone’s standards. It is, however interesting to look at his figures for first and second innings. In the two first innings he took 10 for 86, in the two second innings 2 for 81, with respective strike rates of 29.4 and 108 respectively. To my mind that depicts a bowler who was tiring as the game wore on – hardly surprising for a 38 year old (OK, 37 for the WI game) seamer.

Turning to the other eight games in his most recent ten, he has taken 13 wickets at 42.85 overall at a strike rate of a wicket every 93 deliveries. Comparing first and second innings, the first innings numbers are 9 at 40.78, strike rate 90, second innings 4 at 47.50, strike rate 101.

Of those eight matches, England won five, despite Jimmy’s less than overwhelming contributions, and I suppose being a member of a side that won five out of eight helps hide unpalatable truths. In eight second innings he took just 4 wickets, to my mind ample demonstration that his body is trying to say ‘enough’
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2020, 07:41:37 AM »
Oh, and despite all that, as it seems he will be playing, I wish him all the best of luck - 10 in the match would be nice!
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2020, 08:00:12 AM »
Looking at the ages at which a few other notable seamers quite the Test arena, Glen McGrath was 32, Dennis Lillee 34, Bob Willis 35, as was Brian Statham (who took 7 wickets in his last Test!) Ian Botham 36, ‘t greatest fast bowler as ever lived, was another 34 year old when he bowed out. Only Ray Lindwall, who was 38 when he played his last Test equals Jimmy
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Aug 13, 2020, 11:17:21 AM »
So Jimmy, hopefully out to prove me wrong, gets the big scoring Masood in the third over!
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #11 on: Aug 13, 2020, 01:39:20 PM »
Oh, and despite all that, as it seems he will be playing, I wish him all the best of luck - 10 in the match would be nice!
Mike

Gosh yes so do I. He's been a magnificent player. Sat behind his arm at Westcliffe once and admired how late he swung the ball and his accuracy. Only a kid he had a sort of 'Huron' purple stripe haircut. Over 20 years ago now and could have been a 2nd X1 'trial game' because I was sat with Gordon Barker and dear Harold Faragher at the time. Barker said "yon lad will play for England, e's not the worse ay you watch" and named him the psychedelic badger!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2020, 03:01:47 PM »
So far Jimmy has 2-24 in 12 overs. Hopefully he will keep on in the same vein and prove me wrong!
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2020, 03:12:23 PM »
Really fed up. Because of the snooker, the Test highlights are on BBC4, channel 106, which I can’t get up here
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2020, 03:29:04 PM »
Really fed up. Because of the snooker, the Test highlights are on BBC4, channel 106, which I can’t get up here
Mike

Blame Nagger and the biddys at BBC eternal womans hour programming!