Author Topic: The Atomic bomb  (Read 2441 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: The Atomic bomb
« Reply #45 on: Aug 17, 2020, 11:13:13 AM »
Yes, that looks to be an M2. Imagine the fire of ten such concentrated on an area about the size of a soccer pitch
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Johned

« Reply #46 on: Aug 18, 2020, 07:15:37 PM »
So with all that fancy weaponry, how come the Vietcong appeared to have won?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #47 on: Aug 18, 2020, 07:56:58 PM »
They wouldn't give up. Also, it is difficult to suppress a guerrilla campaign when you can't always identify your enemy. Also the American public got fed up at the number of body bags coming back. Don't forget, America's involvement lasted over 19 years and unless a lot more determination was shown, there seemed to be no end in sight. I used to participate in a forum which included a number of USA and USAF veterans who. virtually to a man, complained that they were having to fight with one hand tied behind their backs, and the lack of political will to 'get the job done'.
Of course the opposition wasn't just guerrillas, the NVA were a formidable opponent in their own right. Also, the ability to use Laos and Cambodia as no-go areas for the Americans (not always strictly true of course)  to bring troops and war material down south free from interference helped.
Had the American military been given carte blanche, they could have reduced North Vietnam to a smoking ruin - but that wasn't politically acceptable.
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #48 on: Aug 18, 2020, 08:01:23 PM »
They wouldn't give up. Also, it is difficult to suppress a guerrilla campaign when you can't always identify your enemy. Also the American public got fed up at the number of body bags coming back. Don't forget, America's involvement lasted over 19 years and unless a lot more determination was shown, there seemed to be no end in sight. I used to participate in a forum which included a number of USA and USAF veterans who. virtually to a man, complained that they were having to fight with one hand tied behind their backs, and the lack of political will to 'get the job done'.
Of course the opposition wasn't just guerrillas, the NVA were a formidable opponent in their own right. Also, the ability to use Laos and Cambodia as no-go areas for the Americans (not always strictly true of course)  to bring troops and war material down south free from interference helped.
Had the American military been given carte blanche, they could have reduced North Vietnam to a smoking ruin - but that wasn't politically acceptable.
Mike

Of course in true Americanised definition Vietnam was not officially a War. It was ever only a 'Police Action'.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #49 on: Aug 18, 2020, 08:09:50 PM »
Well, we all know how over the top American police can be 😊
Actually, I shouldn't joke about such matters.
Thinking about it, the lack of political will to go the whole hog against North Vietnam, echoes the way UN air forces were forbidden to cross the Yalu River to engage enemy a/c so as not to provoke China during the Korean war - that worked well!
Mike

klondike

« Reply #50 on: Aug 18, 2020, 08:13:09 PM »
The US armed forces were pulled back from finishing the job in the first Gulf War. That one was at least fully justified.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #51 on: Aug 18, 2020, 08:15:58 PM »
The US armed forces were pulled back from finishing the job in the first Gulf War. That one was at least fully justified.
Do you mean the war was fully justified or pulling back was? Personally I would agree that both were fully justified
Mike

klondike

« Reply #52 on: Aug 18, 2020, 08:20:16 PM »
The first Gulf war was certainly justified. I think that they should have continued into Baghdad and deposed Saddam Hussein then. It would probably still have lead to the mess when he was toppled in the second war though so maybe the right decision was made. The second war was a complete mistake.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #53 on: Aug 18, 2020, 10:21:33 PM »
It was certainly based on a total misreading of the likely aftermath
Mike