Author Topic: England v Pakistan 3rd Test  (Read 4451 times)

Michael Rolls

England v Pakistan 3rd Test
« on: Aug 21, 2020, 10:27:27 AM »
Apparently it is dry at Southampton at the moment , but the forecast is for winds up to 60mph and light showers, If that wind is blowing across the wicket......
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

Re: England v Pakistan 3rd Test
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2020, 10:49:53 AM »
Root has won the toss. England will bat
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2020, 10:53:26 AM »
Oh, and Curran has been replaced by Archer - let's hope that this time he reckons it's worth bending his back
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2020, 11:38:19 AM »
Burns gone to Afridi for 6. Wonder if we see Burns in many more Tests
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2020, 05:46:52 PM »
303/4 - so far, so good
Mike

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2020, 07:39:30 PM »
At last..A full day's play. Nice to see Zac Crawley fulfilling some of his promise and Buttler of course..Great day's cricket.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2020, 07:59:26 PM »
Really enjoyable! Pakistan seemed to lose their way with the second new ball, but to be fair it must have been really hard work for their seamers in that wind
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2020, 08:54:45 PM »
How quickly one forgets. Burns' wretched time against the Pakistan seamers - to date,4 innings, average 5.00, is in such contrast to his performance against the West Indies - 5 innings, average 46.80. Are the Pakistani seamers that much better than the West Indies, or is Burns just unlucky?
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2020, 10:22:29 AM »
Weather forecast - windy still, but should be dry' I would love to see England get 500+, although judging by recent seasons, that's probably a bit for
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2020, 01:44:03 PM »
Well a day of mixed fortunes. Crawley was just magnificent, imperious of both back and front foot, wise in shot choice. Tall men mostly and they don't come a lot bigger than 6'5" make great players, but this young man is different, he sees the ball so early too. I did want him in earlier you may remember because his shot organisation and discipline was so good. He reminds me of Ted Dexter and they don't come much better to the eye than that.

Root has lost the plot, his shot choice is chaotic. He insists on trying to chop the legger square when he doesn't have the space! This is becoming a real flaw, at the moment he's not worth selecting.

Burns simply just doesn't have the technique at this level and that's it. The Pakistani's - especially Abbas are craftsmen as seamers, compared to the raw labour of their West Indian counterparts. It's not pace that matters as much as late movement. The aforementioned also sometimes bowls off the back foot, (Mike Procter) which is probably disconcerting. He's a wonderful bowler ably supported when they can 'dictate' by Shaheen and Naseem. Yesterday Crawley knocked them all off length and line. The latter two in particular. When Burns took strike I thought here comes another streaky single figure innings, you can just see it coming?

Sibley again LBW but he's trying hard to improve and he got a brute of a ball, as did Pope.

I've saved the best for last. As you two know I rate Buttler as the best natural striker in the team (including Sir Ben). Yesterday he was sublime, one cover drive in particular was worth waiting all day for. If ever an angel could bat the almighty would say, watch this and try to be as good.

I think its immaterial (apart from records and confidence) as to the final score. Pakistan only have three seamers, we have four and anything over 400 could see an innings win. Their dejected and it shows.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2020, 08:12:11 PM »
Must say I am really pleased for Butler. However, we have yet to see him keeping this time - and he's likely to be a bit weary after that magnificent knock. I do hope he keeps OK. I keep remembering two comments from a good while back. Someone, no idea from memory who it was, must be getting on for 60 years ago, when asked about team selection said 'first pick your best keeper, then your best batsmen and bowlers'. On TMS, again some years back, but not that many, a retired keeper, when asked about the then current contenders for the England spot said 'I'm not seeing keepers, I'm seeing batsmen with gloves on'.
I also always remember the ultimate horror tale, the Somerset keeper who dropped Lara on 18 and moaned to the slip cordon 'Oh no, now I suppose he'll score a hundred'. Actually Lara went on to the little matter of 501
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2020, 08:44:02 PM »
Supreme batting from Crawley and Buttler, the Pakistanis heads are well down, expect two collapses and an innings win for England - if the weather holds.

Root could always put Ollie Pope behind the stumps? Personally I don't think it matters here.

My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Aug 22, 2020, 09:20:30 PM »
I've just remembered that I was questioning whether Anderson was still worth his place quite recently
Mike  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

zoony

« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2020, 09:31:11 PM »
From your lips to God's ear M'lord..
Broad seems to have a foot problem? Hopefully just a niggle..and Archer seems to have his eye in. Time, surely, to give the other bowlers an opportunity to shine..
 Mike, the statistics agreed with you.. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Aug 22, 2020, 10:15:47 PM »
Just goes to show that what they say about statistics is right!
Mike 😉