Author Topic: Time flies  (Read 818 times)

Michael Rolls

Time flies
« on: Aug 27, 2020, 05:01:09 AM »
Just finished reading a detective story set in 1980. That doesn’t seem all that long ago, but two elements of the story made 1980 a totally different world. The goodies are marooned in an isolated house and can’t call for help because the phone line has been cut. Mobile phone? What mobile phone. They weren’t on general sale until 1983. In another chapter a character is pleasantly surprised to be able to call an ambulance from a phone box which hadn’t been vandalised.
One of the civilian characters owns a legally held pistol - just as well in the circumstances - that was still possible until 1996
Different world
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

Re: Time flies
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2020, 07:49:06 AM »
There were some Sweeney episodes on one of the channels which I watched and I picked up on the lack of phones in that along with police hand held radios that never seemed to work. I doubt that the police running around waving pistols was true even in the day but it wasn't a documentary.

Life on Mars was dedicated to the differences and I've watched that series two or three times.

One thing that has threatened but never really succeeded in a come back is flared trousers while skin tight jeans have more than prospered. Especially for the ladies. Sometimes to my delight but more often to my gagging.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2020, 07:54:54 AM »
😁😁

Ashy

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2020, 07:57:33 AM »
Whatever happened to flared trousers and roll necks above the hair line.

klondike

« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2020, 08:19:27 AM »
Who was that orange faced smarmy bloke with a moustache who featured both? Possibly foreign but a victim of fake tan by my recollection.

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2020, 09:24:14 AM »
A lot of blokes had a droopy moustache in them days. Of course Peter Wyngarde comes to mind and also Peter Sarstedt.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2020, 09:33:23 AM »
I won't subject you to a repeat of the picture I posted of myself a while back - droopy moustache par excellence - a colleague nicknamed me Pancho Villa!
Mike

Ashy

« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2020, 09:35:23 AM »
Thank You.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2020, 09:54:21 AM »

klondike

« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2020, 10:31:57 AM »
Peter Wyngarde
That's the name I recall. I see if the face matches.
Yep that's him. Trouble finding a roll neck but did get one eventually.

I'll check t'other. Don't recognise him.

digitalis

« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2020, 03:20:31 PM »
Wasnt he into cottaging?

Not sure it exists theseadays.

Came across a lane in outside Exeter where there was a lotta men in cars all looking about strangely. I was walking up the lane in just my underpants with my wife cos I had a strop on cos I was overdressed.(It was very hot) Maybe I think the gentlemen thought we woz cops(Janet and John?)out to bag a conviction!

Just outside o Bournemouth(in the sand-dunes down there)there's a lot o gentlefolk(well,men only)who seem to bob up and down on sunny days. Sorta strange activity! I think they might be starkers. Walked thru said area when doing the SWCP several years back.

Strange activities and peoples back then.

Olden golden days! ;)