Author Topic: ...on doing something stupid...  (Read 3971 times)

granny moss

Re: ...on doing something stupid...
« Reply #30 on: Sep 02, 2020, 05:03:05 AM »
Going to Italy by car with the two children. Stopped in Switzerland at a restaurat by the road, to have a meal by the front outside.  Trains below going to Milan...Children waving to it by a parapet...Going on up the mountain to the top at the Simplon pass and then down all the way to Italy frontier check point. Guard: Passports  ? Me, trying to find handbag with all papers, money travelling cheques, jewellery....Not in the car...Remember hunging handbag at back of chair at restaurant....Told guard I do not know the name of place....but noticed train passed by, going to Milan...AH ! signora, all trains in Switzerland go to Milan...Back up to Simplon pass and down to said restaurant....OH, signora, Yes here is the bag....Up to Simplon pass and down again to Italy...Simplon pass...here we go...3 times in 24 hours....I always wondered if it was worth of a mention in the guiness book.... :'(

crabbyob

« Reply #31 on: Sep 02, 2020, 11:09:24 AM »
funnily enough i also made a bid for a record in that book in Switzerland  52... i was high in the mountains above Interlaken near the village of Beatenberg  there was a pinacle rock that jutted up out of the mountain, we were allowed to climb this needle of rock several times and on one occasion were given a sheet of paper to make a paper plane, now my planes were rubbish, so i made a dart, and it flew out and down like a jet, flying away from the land out over the wonderful lake.... it must have been a world record everyone applauded as it shrunk into infinity...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Scrumpy

« Reply #32 on: Sep 03, 2020, 11:36:43 AM »

When I want a drop of gravy with something, I use vegetarian gravy granules: a heaped spoonful in a large mug and then eke out the boiling water until it is just right.  More than once I have filled the mug almost to the top with water and only when I return from the fridge to add milk to it do I remember that I was not making a cup of coffee.  Fortunately I have not completed the job. Yet.

Stellamaris...  ;D ;D ;D ;D 

I poured myself a drink of gin and tonic.. I drink very little but I needed cheering up so I thought I would treat myself..

I felt much better and the drink had relaxed me and I sat contentedly watching a bit of TV before bed.. when I went into the kitchen later to make my bedtime drink I spotted a glass that held water..

Not water .. it was my gin and tonic that I had forgotten all about...
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

sparky

« Reply #33 on: Sep 03, 2020, 11:57:11 AM »
Halfway down the road to collect prescription , before realising I had no mask, where they will not let you in without one. I am going to get a false one tattooed on. so I don't make a mistake again.

Sheila

« Reply #34 on: Sep 03, 2020, 01:49:32 PM »

Stellamaris...  ;D ;D ;D ;D 

I poured myself a drink of gin and tonic.. I drink very little but I needed cheering up so I thought I would treat myself..

I felt much better and the drink had relaxed me and I sat contentedly watching a bit of TV before bed.. when I went into the kitchen later to make my bedtime drink I spotted a glass that held water..

Not water .. it was my gin and tonic that I had forgotten all about...

I wouldn't forget!

Scrumpy

« Reply #35 on: Sep 03, 2020, 01:52:59 PM »
Halfway down the road to collect prescription , before realising I had no mask, where they will not let you in without one. I am going to get a false one tattooed on. so I don't make a mistake again.

Sparky.. I always carry a fine scarf that is tied to my bag.. They come in handy and can be used as face coverings..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Scrumpy

« Reply #36 on: Sep 03, 2020, 01:53:17 PM »

Michael Rolls

« Reply #37 on: Sep 03, 2020, 01:56:39 PM »
I wouldn't forget!
Never been known!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Scrumpy

« Reply #38 on: Sep 03, 2020, 02:05:22 PM »

The funny thing about it was that I thought it had done me good and I felt better for having had a drink.!! ;D ;D

crabbyob

« Reply #39 on: Sep 03, 2020, 02:26:24 PM »
ok hon, have a similar on me tonight.. ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

biglouis

« Reply #40 on: Sep 03, 2020, 02:29:55 PM »
Back in the 1970s (long before cards became common) I went to Paris with a friend and her "friends."  By the third day I was gettng pretty tired of being an unpaid tour guide and showing them around Paris - I was the only one who spoke French. We spent the morning at the famous fleamarket and the others got bored. So we were sitting in a pavement cafe near the market and the other three were deciding where "we" were going that afternoon. Up the tour, Notre Dame, etc.

I told them "well you are on your own because Im going back into the fleamerket". "But we dont speak French". I reminded them that we were in  Paris not Outer Mongolia and that learning how to do things and find your way in another culture was part of the experience. "This is my holiday too and I want a bit of my own space. Bye."

I spent the day in the fleamarket, got talking to some dealers (as you do) and we all went out to dinner. They invited me to come back to their shop next day and were bringing in some items specially for me to see. I had recently began dealing and was interested to secure some fresh stock.

When I eventually got back to the hotel my travel companions had faces down to the floor.  They had travelled half across Paris on the metro only to discover that one of the stupid "friends of a friend" had left a bag with her passport, money and travel cheques on the floor under the table. Needless to say it was not there when they made their way back.

So they had to go and get a police report. But the local police station had no one who spoke English and they had to send for an interpreter. It took so long to get the police report (which they needed to apply for the emergency passport) that they had to put off going to the British Embassy til next day. Also they had to pick up money from Western Union to pay for the passport and replace what the girl has lost.

Of course i was made to feel guilty for not being with them "We could have done with your help because we dont speak French yadda yadda". In the end I was so peed off with them that I left them again the next morning to keep my appointment with my dealer friends.

"But surely your not going to leave us again. We dont speak French"

"Folks ive got some really good news for you. Your going to the British Embassy. There will be lots of waiting around, standing in queues, answering questions and form filling. But they speak English there!"

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Scrumpy

« Reply #41 on: Sep 03, 2020, 03:10:41 PM »
ok hon, have a similar on me tonight.. ;D

ok.. have a similar on me tonight...

Cheers... I might have a double seeing as I can hold my drink.. ;D

sparky

« Reply #42 on: Sep 03, 2020, 03:27:04 PM »

Sparky.. I always carry a fine scarf that is tied to my bag..

Yeah but my handbag is chock a bloc with my makeup and stuff,  ;D ;D ;D

crabbyob

« Reply #43 on: Sep 03, 2020, 03:34:04 PM »

Sparky.. I always carry a fine scarf that is tied to my bag..

Yeah but my handbag is chock a bloc with my makeup and stuff,  ;D ;D ;D

OK Sparky, but your next handbag should have elasticated handles that fit round yer lugs......sorted

sparky

« Reply #44 on: Sep 03, 2020, 03:48:23 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D