Author Topic: Getting Old  (Read 1168 times)

Hugh

Getting Old
« on: Aug 30, 2020, 10:27:57 AM »
Well I am already old at 80, but this year I have had to make changes to my life style. Golf I am pretty much restricted to a par 3 course where walking ability less of a problem because of my knee. Knee replacement which I was hoping for, now out of the question. When I sure the consultant during the week he told me it would be very dangerous to proceed because of my very low white blood cell count. But when he said he would have to speak to my next of kin before he would proceed, it really sunk in. Exercise for me now is a mixture of walking and swimming in the pool at the GYM to protect my knee as much as possible. I now have a buggy to able me to take my little dog for exercise in the forest I also have one for playing golf. 

Jacqueline

Re: Getting Old
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2020, 10:35:10 AM »
Well I am already old at 80, but this year I have had to make changes to my life style. Golf I am pretty much restricted to a par 3 course where walking ability less of a problem because of my knee. Knee replacement which I was hoping for, now out of the question. When I sure the consultant during the week he told me it would be very dangerous to proceed because of my very low white blood cell count. But when he said he would have to speak to my next of kin before he would proceed, it really sunk in. Exercise for me now is a mixture of walking and swimming in the pool at the GYM to protect my knee as much as possible. I now have a buggy to able me to take my little dog for exercise in the forest I also have one for playing golf.

With originally one, now two dodgy knees I know how you feel, I now have a stick, I look like my granny.  Don't mind being old its the body braking down thats the problem.

Scrumpy

« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2020, 10:36:52 AM »

Hello Hugh.. We wondered where you were. Good to see you posting.

I think you are doing ok.. Swimmining, walking and a bit of golf.. !!!  Blimey , you put a lot of 50/60 year olds in shade..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Scrumpy

« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2020, 10:39:40 AM »

Jacqueline...  and there was me moaning about my sciatica!!.. I feel like a fraud when I read what others posts..

Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

crabbyob

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2020, 10:43:52 AM »
me too scrumps, its bad enough getting old without being ill with it..
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Scrumpy

« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2020, 10:46:09 AM »

;D ;D  yeah!! crabby... all you have to worry about is not playing tennis anymore..

crabbyob

« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2020, 10:47:24 AM »
oh... and...
new balls please... ;D ;D ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Jacqueline

« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2020, 10:50:11 AM »
Well at least we have our marbles still, even if our bodies have let us down.

Scrumpy

« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2020, 11:26:34 AM »

Speak for yourself Jacqueline..  Me and crabby are unsure about that..

granny moss

« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2020, 11:33:38 AM »
On getting up this morning, I thought it was Wednesday.... and about the middle of August...The computer told me it is Sunday and the end of August... do I need to get much older than this ?..... :'( gmx.

Hugh

« Reply #10 on: Aug 30, 2020, 11:57:54 AM »
To be honest I am very fortunate just to have one dodgy knee and a little old Arthur in the left hand. The low white and red cell count have puzzled the doctors for many years. The low red cells are a sign of blood cancer if I have it, they certainly cannot find it, they have even gone to the trouble of taking bone marrow samples. Every 4 months I have blood tests and every 4 days I have to inject myself, to wake up my white cells. Whats been a pain during lock down I was classed in the very high risk group of people.

Alfred

« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2020, 12:38:43 PM »
In a few months time ill be 84 and even now iv started to feel it on my knees  a little how ever i can still walk,  and drive, and do a number of jobs in and  around the house,

and luckily i can still enjoy the forum as well and getting involved, with the many posts, that are on the computer screen , plus the odd laugh, which at times is a real tonic to help ageing bones, helping to face another day and start off in a happy frame of mind,   

Jacqueline

« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2020, 01:07:19 PM »

Speak for yourself Jacqueline..  Me and crabby are unsure about that..

Well maybe on reflection ........

sparky

« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2020, 01:43:18 PM »
I am so lucky. even at my age ( I know I should not be saying this ) I do not get the slightest joint pain, my small problems are hearing, and feeling shattered after walking any great distance, or after  even small DIY jobs, my brain functions well enough for my daily crosswords, and I fair well on TV Q & A programmes, often beating the contestants.

Hugh

« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2020, 02:47:06 PM »
Great to hear Sparky, keep it up.