Author Topic: Microsoft pestering me...  (Read 359 times)

granny moss

Microsoft pestering me...
« on: Sep 05, 2020, 02:35:46 PM »
Everytime I click for Google, a Microsoft Window comes up telling me they have a problem with my account. Something to do with cookies...and taking over some duties etc...security etc. The window comes up, I click google again and the window comes up, and I click google and it clears away....I called Microsoft up on google, and it tells me of Scams. Something to do with the password... They want me to change password ? I refuse. I will carry on clicking twice, but will not change my password. They also tell me when Ienter my e.mail address, that that is already taken ?...and they want me to change that. I will not. It is so annoing...  Sorry about this rant ? I feel much better, now ! :D :D :D Oh, forgot to tell that if I agree, it will cost me 4.50 dollard a month......? No way ! gmx

richmond62

Re: Microsoft pestering me...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2020, 03:21:16 PM »
The simplest answer to that is to stop using Windows.

This is an ongoing problem with Windows, and over the last 3 years I have installed Linux on about 50 computers
(mainly for parents of children I teach) and the problem has gone away.

My Mum uses a type of Linux on her laptop and Android
on her telephone, and I have her Google account set up so that everytime Google
want to bother her re her Google account it is sent through to me,
and I have an automatic response set up; "Boil your head."
As a result she goes merrily on her way without any problems either from a
substandard Microsoft system or from Google playing "silly prawns."

richmond62

« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2020, 03:22:35 PM »
"Something to do with cookies...and taking over some duties etc...security etc."

Of course, should you wish to stay with Windows (why, forbye?), the first question I would want
an answer to is which Web-browser are you using?

granny moss

« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2020, 04:25:04 PM »
I just clicked "agree" and all seems well.....I can now use Utube and the rest without interference.   Thank you for your advice, but I am very old...and get frustrated so easily....gmx

Traveller

« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2020, 04:35:34 PM »
Ideally, switch from Windows to one of the Linux systems.  Use Chromium or Chrome  and  Duckduckgo .  All these are Free.  They have fewer features, but are less prone to malware, don't track you  and are faster.
You'll have had your tea.

granny moss

« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2020, 04:37:44 PM »
My son used Linux. It looked complicated to me. I will ask him what he thinks. Thank you for the suggestion. gmx

klondike

« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2020, 04:42:04 PM »
It's only complicated if you want to do anything beyond the basics. I wouldn't advise somebody who isn't happy with technology to change over though.

I have no idea what you meant by the tale about Microsoft pestering you. It sounds like malware but may not be. I never use a Microsoft account with Windows but it is the default I think
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2020, 08:32:01 PM »
It's only complicated if you want to do anything beyond the basics. I wouldn't advise somebody who isn't happy with technology to change over though.

I have no idea what you meant by the tale about Microsoft pestering you. It sounds like malware but may not be. I never use a Microsoft account with Windows but it is the default I think
That’s my problem. On and off switch I can cope with, but much beyond that..........
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

granny moss

« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2020, 07:58:24 AM »
The small square ? Microsoft? window is back again...but I found a way to enter my CP. I click once more, and GOOGLE comes up and all is well....gmx

Traveller

« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2020, 08:11:08 AM »
My son used Linux. It looked complicated to me. I will ask him what he thinks. Thank you for the suggestion. gmx

Linux is like a car.  If you now all about it, you can get under the bonnet and make all sorts of alterations and tweeks.  If you don't want to do that, you can just drive it.   The popular Linux versions (I use Ubuntu 20.04) has pretty much the look and feel of Windows, but without the clutter.

You can install Linux alongside windows and select either one at boot time.  They don't interact with each other.
You'll have had your tea.

klondike

« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2020, 09:15:22 AM »
If you more or less only use a machine for browsing which I expect is the case here then the simplest solution would be a chromebook. You can do more with them of course. They do need an internet connection for most things though as your data is store online.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2020, 09:51:11 AM »
I would never trust online storage for anything important. What happens if your internet connection fails? I have been without a landline, and therefore without internet quite a few times over the years. The telephone lines here run through woods and it’s a good winter when the lines don’t come down at least once. Usually they are out only for a matter of hours, although the worst occasion was over three days
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2020, 10:24:19 AM »
I don't use a chromebook but I do use a tablet. Think of a chromebook as a tablet with keyboard and you won't be far wrong. In the main tablets just work. So do chromebooks. Whether you use one or not depends in the main what you want to do. If it is all your accounting, storing of correspondence and the like then a chromebook would do it but you may be better off with a laptop.