Author Topic: I miss the wonderful fruit in Italy....  (Read 855 times)

granny moss

I miss the wonderful fruit in Italy....
« on: Sep 06, 2020, 07:15:54 AM »
The fruit, when first I came to England, was good. There were hundreds of orchards providing apples, pears, cherries, plums (especially victoria plums ! ..) and all the other soft fruits. All in season and absolutely delicious. Very sweet and jucy...All now in my memory...as the rubbish from supermarkets is unedible...The apples, especially, are dry, hard and tasteless...Conference pears, not so bad, as they ripen at home, and must keep an eye on them, as pears ripen from the inside....plums, as hard as nuts !!!! and tasteless.  I am not stupid, so please if you have to contradict me, do it in a positive way, and do no tell fibs.... :D :D :D gmx

GrannyMac

Re: I miss the wonderful fruit in Italy....
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2020, 07:29:38 AM »
You are right, there are some fruits I rarely, if ever, buy now.  We have a small local fruiterer, through the summer I've been buying peaches and nectarines, cherries and Scottish rasps and strawberries there. All good quality, and tasty. Also just last week some lovely Victoria plums. In Lidl the other week, I picked up some golden Kiwi fruit, really sweet and juicy.

I don't order fruit in my online shopping, its been a disappointment when I did. So I understand your difficulty.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

granny moss

« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2020, 07:45:54 AM »
My daughter brings me home some nice fruit when she can. I also have stopped ordering Fruit from Sainsburys, apart from black grapes and tangerines....gmx

Sheila

« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2020, 07:50:33 AM »
We went to a market in Turkey and wow.  The fruit and vegetables were fantastic.  I think that the farmers must have picked them that day and brought them straight to the market.

When we had an allotment we enjoyed the strawberries warm from the sun.  We also had two asparagus beds which I miss.  We would go first thing in the morning and would bring home anything that was ready, chop it up and put it in the oven with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  We'd have our showers, put some garlic bread in the oven and then have a lovely lunch. 

granny moss

« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2020, 07:54:45 AM »
WOW !!!!!   gmx

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2020, 08:40:04 AM »
Don't like pears (nor did Veronica) and have aplum tree so never buy them - and not terribly keen on them anyway. Tesco's Granny Smith apples I really like - I can't stand soft, sweet apples, I like hard tangy ones which the Grannys are
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2020, 08:51:30 AM »
Nectarines and peaches are often a disappointment. Rock hard and inedible when bought and by the time they have ripened to edibility as often as not the skins are wrinkly and unattractive or worse have started to mould.

Tangerines and other small oranges are very variable as are their larger kin. Some good others sharper than lemons.

Strawberries and raspberries are usually OK so long as you avoid the tasteless French ones.

Apples - I look for gala which are cheap and I like them.

Bananas - I don't often buy but like to buy green as they ripen very quickly and I don't like them when very ripe.

Pears - mostly conference. I can eat these even when hard and they ripen soon enough.

So long and thanks for all the fish

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2020, 09:41:12 AM »
I've just had a chopped up nectarine from the fruiterer, and some Scottish strawberries on my muesli.  Both were lovely.

Nectarines from the supermarket were just as klondike described.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2020, 01:37:53 PM »
my favourite fruit is conference pears
to test for eating try pulling the stalk out
if it remains firm leave for another day
also slip a banana into the pear bag and fasten the top
banana gives of a gas that helps ripen other fruit...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

richmond62

« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2020, 03:56:39 PM »
I've been to Italy several time, but couldn't find any fruit that appealed to me, so decided to stick with my wife.

em

« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2020, 04:14:41 PM »
Another post to put paid to an interesting thread!

klondike

« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2020, 05:13:59 PM »
I don't see why a tongue in cheek post would destroy a thread. It quite possibly won't continue but that is because there is only so much that can be said about fruit.
So long and thanks for all the fish

em

« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2020, 06:09:47 PM »
End of?

Bee

« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2020, 06:31:21 PM »
I have a weekly delivery from Sainsbury and I have always been satisfied with their fruit, no complaints from me.
The only way is up....

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Sep 06, 2020, 06:33:49 PM »
Oh, and as well as their Granny Smith apples Tesco’s bananas are fine.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!