Author Topic: I miss the wonderful fruit in Italy....  (Read 856 times)

richmond62

Re: I miss the wonderful fruit in Italy....
« Reply #15 on: Sep 06, 2020, 07:03:27 PM »
We are doing fine on the fruit from our garden: Plums, Apples, Pears, Medlars and (don't for get they are fruit) Tomatoes and Cucumbers.

Stripped the Hazelnut trees today of their cobs, so, cracking tomorrow.

Walnuts due in about 4-5 weeks, I expect.

As was observed earlier: shop fruit are tasteless.
This is mainly due to agro-farming methods concentrating on quantity rather than quality.

crabbyob

« Reply #16 on: Sep 06, 2020, 09:02:08 PM »
i should think it obvious that store bought fruits wont be as nice as the stuff off your tree or out of your garden, lol... or next doors garden
we used to nick spuds and put them in the red hot ashes of our camp fires, and we thought they were delicious...rofl
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

GrannyMac

« Reply #17 on: Sep 06, 2020, 09:33:08 PM »
And rhubarb straight out of the garden. dipped in sugar!  ;D
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #18 on: Sep 06, 2020, 09:41:54 PM »
oh dear Granny i wonder at what age did we cease to enjoy that
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Bee

« Reply #19 on: Sep 07, 2020, 05:45:43 AM »
i should think it obvious that store bought fruits wont be as nice as the stuff off your tree or out of your garden, lol... or next doors garden
we used to nick spuds and put them in the red hot ashes of our camp fires, and we thought they were delicious...rofl

But if you haven't got a garden and can't grow your own there is no choice but to buy fruit from a store.

The one thing I won't do though when English fruit is in season is buy imported fruit because I find it rather bland and not a patch on English grown fruit......where tomatoes are concerned I find the best tasting ones are grown in Norfolk.
The only way is up....

granny moss

« Reply #20 on: Sep 07, 2020, 07:00:37 AM »
In our shop we always sold home grown fruits and vegetables.  We used to go and buy from the growers. Cucumbers were amazing for their flavour, and the lettuce so very fresh...Tomatoes and all the vegs we could get. I think our customers were a bit spoiled  :D Especially by my fresh baked apple pies....apples from our own small orchard !!! gmx

richmond62

« Reply #21 on: Sep 07, 2020, 04:31:38 PM »
"But if you haven't got a garden and can't grow your own there is no choice but to buy fruit from a store."

If you stay in a flat in a city you can sell that flat for the money you can use for a small house out of the town with a garden.

Bee

« Reply #22 on: Sep 07, 2020, 11:22:33 PM »
"But if you haven't got a garden and can't grow your own there is no choice but to buy fruit from a store."

If you stay in a flat in a city you can sell that flat for the money you can use for a small house out of the town with a garden.

For your information I neither live in a flat or a city, I live in a house with a grassed garden front and back and that is enough for me to cope with, thankyou. ::) ::)
The only way is up....

granny moss

« Reply #23 on: Sep 09, 2020, 07:39:56 AM »
Come to think of it....My apple pies must have been good !!!!  Customers used to wait for them to be delivered...and when I opened my small cafee....I remember a gentleman coming on his bycicle to buy 3 pies at a time....and  Spar and Mace, used to order them on the'phone....! :D :D :D gmx

richmond62

« Reply #24 on: Sep 09, 2020, 03:05:27 PM »
"I live in a house with a grassed garden front and back"

I can only imagine the time, trouble and money involved maintaining two lawns.

Bee

« Reply #25 on: Sep 09, 2020, 03:30:39 PM »
 :) :) :)
The only way is up....

crabbyob

« Reply #26 on: Sep 10, 2020, 10:54:50 AM »
and if you cant imagine the bother.... ask Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #27 on: Sep 10, 2020, 11:10:06 AM »
and if you cant imagine the bother.... ask Mike
😁😁😁😁
To be fair, much of the time it is no problem. The current difficulty, now resolved, is the result of a set of circumstances unequaled in the nearly 16 years since we came here.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!