Author Topic: Time management  (Read 640 times)

xetog

Time management
« on: Sep 06, 2020, 11:08:50 AM »
How many of you feel that time is flashing by in old age?  I find it difficult to comprehend that I have been retired for 12 years, just what happened to those 4,300 + days?  12 years before I retired I was a sprightly 53 and the world was a different place.  This has come more evident to me in my writing.  Often my wife will ask me to something and I reply "In 5 minutes when I have finished this paragraph."  30 minutes later she will tell me she has done the job herself. I of course have been convinced that I am not far over my 5 minute estimate, time has flown.

Time is running away from me.  If I rush, I will have to start all over again as the post or other work will not be what I wanted to say, so I have begun to scratch out (electronically) what I have written, sometimes to pick it up again later, but more often to have revised my ideas and not bothered, consigning the part completed text to the bin.

My sister suffers from the same problem.  Since we are hundreds of miles apart we speak on a Sunday afternoon and quite often one of us will exclaim that it only seems like yesterday we spoke last.  Covid - 19 has proven a boon to me as it has introduced an element of timelessness into my life, someday if I am lucky, I may wake up and find it has all been a dream and I will walk out of the front door once more into freedom, the real world having returned.

Something tells me I am dreaming of Vera Lynn's Bluebirds, which never flew over Dover.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

zoony

Re: Time management
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2020, 12:30:16 PM »
Know what you mean Mike but it's like that for most of us mate..Just the way memory works..Sad innit.. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2020, 01:24:30 PM »
then reverse it think back to your first day of school, then twelve years after that day how old were you and what had you been doing... twelve and a half years after i started school i was going into the army....lol... and on about scratching out what you had written; it was at the end of the war when i went to school and school supplies were nil... soo my peers had learnt to write on a slate, the slates were there ok, but the stylus you wrote with had long since ran out, so being an inventive nation [lol] they used the tops of the old square biscuit tins, the lids were about an inch deep and were half filled with dry sand, then using a stick the teacher asked what was the first letter of your name then wrote it in the sand requesting you copy it... there were plenty no's followed by a wee shake of the lid which disappeared your effort, so you could try again
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Johned

« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2020, 12:49:19 PM »
I am now 86 yet vividly remember my first day at infant school.  The teacher put me astride this large rocking horse and I howled the place down; never felt comfortable around the gee gees since!  I managed to pass the eleven plus to attend a very minor but highly pretentious public school which offered 25 or so places a year to the local authority.  On the first day of assembly, looking around at the forbidding gowned masters with their assorted colours degree sable or whatever they call it around their necks, I felt I shall never fit in here and that conviction was reinforced over the following years particularly in trying to compete with the middle class fee paying boys.  Consequent to that on my first day of National Service I was graded a potential officer (which didn't work out).  All the other lads in the training platoon, with whom I wanted to be friends, were against me for no reason at all and there were numerous "sortings out" before I was accepted as one of them.  All now so long ago but some events seem like only yesterday!

biglouis

« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2020, 05:39:34 PM »
I can remember my first day at school. Every kid had a coat hook with an animal on it. Mine was a frog. I decided by lunch time that I didnt like it so I went to the next door park for the afternoon instead. My mother never knew because I went home when I saw all the kids trailing across the road.

When my mother got me up the next day to go I told her "But I went yesterday". It was a big disappointment to me that I had to go every day.

When I got to secondary school (what the now call middle school) I was again disappointed because it didn't pass the 11 plus. However the headmaster and my English teacher took a special interest in me and on the whole I enjoyed it - apart from maths and sport.

I hated sport because I could see no point in it. I hated maths because the maths teacher picked on me, although I was by no means bottom of the class. One day when i was 14 he touched my chest and said "Your a big girl" I knocked it away and threatened him that I would tell if he ever picked on my in class again. I dont think he ever spoke to me again after that day.

It showed me that even as a kid you can exercise power over adults.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

GrannyMac

« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2020, 06:11:45 PM »
I love the fact that my children and their children have had happier schooldays than I had. We didn't push our children,  but like me, they always had books. They did ok. The grandchildren are all readers too, and they are all doing fine too

I enjoyed school til I was about 8, then I had the teacher from hell.  Of course in those days punishment was because you deserved it...or because you were disliked by the teacher. I never worked out what I did wrong.

Unfairness eats away at people, and even though I passed the 11 plus, I was so anxious after 3 years of her treatment,  I failed my first year at grammar school and was sent to the lowest class in the secondary modern where I turned up every day but learnt nothing new.   I felt I'd seriously disappointed my parents even though they didn't criticise.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

em

« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2020, 08:14:53 PM »
Granny Mac,that is horrendous.I don't think grammar schools in England could chuck you out once they had accepted you.

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2020, 09:22:00 PM »
Scotland em. It's why I favour good comprehensives, where pupils can move around classes. My older grandchildren go to a wonderful state comp.

R. Gervais

em

« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2020, 09:54:00 PM »
Glad to hear that.Yet Scotland used to have a much higher reputation for education than England.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2020, 10:16:44 PM »
Not any longer though, despite SNP posturing
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2020, 10:37:55 PM »
You're right em. Sadly so is Mike. 

R. Gervais