Author Topic: Trouble In Birmingham  (Read 1782 times)

GrannyMac

Re: Trouble In Birmingham
« Reply #30 on: Sep 09, 2020, 08:25:49 AM »
To be fair if it isn't terrorism then mental issues does seem most likely given the supposedly random attacks.

Looks like you are correct. From the Sun, re Zephariah McLeod, who has been charged with murder/attempted murder.   

But today it emerged he suffers from “serious” mental health problems - sparking major questions over how he was monitored in the community by over-stretched local health teams.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #31 on: Sep 09, 2020, 08:58:21 AM »
Surprise, surprise surprise
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Jacqueline

« Reply #32 on: Sep 09, 2020, 10:18:25 AM »
Here we go again, mental health.  As someone who's family member was badly let down by the Mental Health team, I am not at all surprised.

We went from big Asylums where even minor cases were incaserated to Care in the Community.  The government sold off these places and didn't put the money and resources into this "care".  I am sure there are many more "human time bombs" out there not cared for nor monitored, it will happen again and again.

The police are left to pick up the pieces when someone has an episode.

GrannyMac

« Reply #33 on: Sep 09, 2020, 11:50:40 AM »
Completely agree Jacqueline.  'Don't Care in the Community' doesn't work.  I wouldn't say all the asylums were good places, but most were safe, and patients were at least housed and fed.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #34 on: Sep 09, 2020, 12:52:51 PM »
i dont know about throwing money at it
i have a friend who is a carer, and she has been to euro-disney several times
and last year she took one of the clients [when i say she took i mean they, there must be two carers] up to Edinburgh for a week, when she got home i asked if she was hungry, but she had had a breakfast at their 5 star hotel, and it cost £25...so just for breakfast it cost the client £75... god knows how much it cost for the three of them for the week....... i'm not sure what benefits they get but it sounds megga...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #35 on: Sep 09, 2020, 01:14:45 PM »
Completely agree Jacqueline.  'Don't Care in the Community' doesn't work.  I wouldn't say all the asylums were good places, but most were safe, and patients were at least housed and fed.

I agree with Mac too. I left the UK as C in the C was being set up. It was a very good idea done very badly and on the cheap, as usual.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #36 on: Sep 09, 2020, 01:36:10 PM »
It was politically driven. Once Enoch Powell stopped the big institutions become economically more or less self sufficient, they became a financial drain and, to be fair, a lot of the folk in them became institutionalised unnecessarily. On the other hand, they were refuges for some extremely vulnerable people
Mike

crabbyob

« Reply #37 on: Sep 09, 2020, 02:21:11 PM »
and an easy billet for others

“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #38 on: Sep 09, 2020, 02:28:06 PM »
and an easy billet for others

Crabby..I worked in a large 'bin'..It wasn't an easy billet for anybody believe me.

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #39 on: Sep 09, 2020, 02:31:08 PM »
lol, i didnt mean the staff....lol

Michael Rolls

« Reply #40 on: Sep 09, 2020, 02:43:54 PM »
Depends on what you mean. Certainly they were an ‘easy billet’ for many vulnerable people who would have been at serious risk turned out to cope for themselves. Would you have preferred to have seen that?
Mike

Jacqueline

« Reply #41 on: Sep 09, 2020, 08:42:15 PM »
I can't speak for all the large Asylums, but Shenley seemed a good place.  It was a self contained community where they had a large hall with dances, bingo etc.  I expect this was somewhere like you worked in Zoony?

My friend had a mental brakedown in the 1960's, she was there for months I would spend time with her, she was well looked after and felt safe and happy there.

These days some people with mental health problems are just left to cope alone, often very badly.  Thus this guy going berserk and stabbing people, no surprise there.

The local Mental Health Team is very small, it has to serve the whole of a rather large county, anyone in crisis finds it hard to get more than an answer phone, I know this from personal experience trying to obtain help for family.

Mental health is in crisis, with the increase in people affected by Covid lockdown lack of support etc.  even more so.

zoony

« Reply #42 on: Sep 09, 2020, 09:43:40 PM »
I can't speak for all the large Asylums, but Shenley seemed a good place.  It was a self contained community where they had a large hall with dances, bingo etc.  I expect this was somewhere like you worked in Zoony?

Sounds like it Jacq..It had a piggery, small market garden and a place where the guys made concrete slabs to sell. A very good Social Club with a bowling green and the occasional 'turn'..It worked well as a safe place in large, quiet grounds. Prime real estate quickly saw it closed, mostly torn down and turned into smart housing for smart young folk. The 1500 or so patients? Who knows.

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #43 on: Sep 10, 2020, 09:42:20 AM »
Before your time zoony, the early days of Middlewood Hospital.  http://shefflibraries.blogspot.com/2015/01/exploring-archives-register-of-patients.html

R. Gervais

Jacqueline

« Reply #44 on: Sep 10, 2020, 04:36:21 PM »
Just googled Shenley Hospital, part of it is now a park,but 900 new houses have been built on this site of prime Hertforshire land, I wonder if the proceeds of selling them was put back into Care in the community?