Author Topic: This has caused a lot of anger in Sutton Coldfield.  (Read 803 times)

GrannyMac

Re: This has caused a lot of anger in Sutton Coldfield.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2020, 10:26:10 PM »
Poor woman. I'm not surprised people are angry. The punishment seems unfairly light.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2020, 10:34:33 PM »
Travesty scarcely begins to describe the sentence
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2020, 12:48:58 AM »
Is it not possible to appeal the sentence as being too lenient?
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Alex22

« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2020, 01:08:50 PM »
I think they should do away with these lower sentences if someone pleads guilty.  The state of the car too, my God the poor woman.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2020, 02:03:39 PM »
The more I think about it, the more appalled I am. You would probably face a stiffer sentence for not paying your TV licence
Mike

Sheila

« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2020, 02:19:49 PM »
Another one here who thinks it is a disgrace.  The poor woman.

Ashy

« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2020, 05:18:57 PM »
Weird world, if he had caused the same injuries in the course of a butglary the sentence would be 8 years. In the course of driving without permission - stealing a car? it's 2 years. Half on licence and free to do it again.

Cassandra

« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2020, 05:35:08 PM »
The Judge sentenced after conviction for 'Dangerous Driving'. The offence prosecuted - as no-one lost their life in this 'incident', where higher tariffs would be applicable. The maximum allowed by schedule of statute herein was therefore given.

To elevate an enhanced punishment for this offence a statutory reformation would be necessary. This was last undertaken in the reform of the Criminal Justice and Courts Act 2015. Thereafter sentencing in this example was increased to two years maximum.

The conjecture to leniency on sentencing is heightened by focused media attention upon instances where extremes, such as these are represented. In cases where latent or supreme disregard for human life are shown, I consider a term up to ten years would be appropriate. Within these considerations I would have given the maximum in this instance, knowing that the convicted would in all probability, be free in five years. I would also welcome the decision for a life time ban on driving motor vehicles to also have been available. From reports it's unclear whether the convicted man even had a driving licence of any denomination?

Judges need more head room to make the punishment suitably applicable, taking into account all circumstances? The convicted, lets remember always has the tort of appeal available for judicial review of sentence? This tragically sad case of a young innocent life horribly marred for its term by the arid hubris of the disaffected perpetrator is significantly in need of urgent reparation. Both to provide a more fitting reaction to its heinous propensity and as a stronger deterrent for the future.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2020, 06:05:53 PM »
Cassandra
Many thanks for that. I realise that judges can only sentence within the law and guidelines, but this sort of case demonstrates, to my mind, how our raft of legislation seems to sometimes to the lay mind contains contradictions. Apparently, according to the report, this driver was doing over 70 in a 30 limit and it is a minor miracle that the lady wasn’t killed.
Mike

zoony

« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2020, 06:16:39 PM »
Cass..I think I better understand why judges themselves go through the wringer when involved with these sickening cases..I also understand why some dads prefer to do it themselves.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Cassandra

« Reply #11 on: Sep 08, 2020, 07:03:25 PM »
Cassandra
Many thanks for that. I realise that judges can only sentence within the law and guidelines, but this sort of case demonstrates, to my mind, how our raft of legislation seems to sometimes to the lay mind contains contradictions. Apparently, according to the report, this driver was doing over 70 in a 30 limit and it is a minor miracle that the lady wasn’t killed.
Mike
Cass..I think I better understand why judges themselves go through the wringer when involved with these sickening cases..I also understand why some dads prefer to do it themselves.

Yes Mike & Zoon both. A clear cut case for the judiciary to have access to far higher penalties. A car is a two ton weapon, as lethal (if not more so) than a knife. Obviously Raheel Mohammed did not set out to maim and injure that day. But he drove a car with malignant disregard for others and should spend 5 years of his young life in penitence. His victim will send the rest of her life, disabled and in increasing pain. He will be a lissome 22 year old when he's released (perhaps younger) next year!

I was unfortunate enough to have presided over a very similar case many years ago, which left me anguished and empty at the time and has prompted me to comment here. The last reform of this sentencing instrument was in the times of that hapless clodpole and major idiot Chris Grayling. Accompanied by the scaffolding of Liberal Democrat thralls wittering from their perches on that disparate ill-fated administration.

So often the shabby, cheap huckstering of barristers and their insurance company cohorts, is performed right in front of grieving relatives on the 'waiting' benches outside the court. Cheapening life itself within the refraction of commercial prostitution!
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

GrannyMac

« Reply #12 on: Sep 08, 2020, 07:20:02 PM »
Thank you for sharing your view Cassandra, one I  believe is widely supported.  Perhaps if politicians listened to people like you the public would be happier with the outcomes of trials such as this.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2020, 07:42:27 PM »
My feelings as well. I keep hearing that we get the politicians for whom we vote and that therefore we get the laws we deserve, but life isn’t that simple,
If you were ask 100 folk - or for that matter  - 1,000 folk - in the street if they felt that in this case the punishment fitted the crime, I very, very much doubt that a majority would be happy
Mike

Ashy

« Reply #14 on: Sep 08, 2020, 08:35:09 PM »
Politicians persistently enact things that they KNOW are against the public's will.