Author Topic: A Word to the Wise  (Read 414 times)

Alex22

A Word to the Wise
« on: Sep 08, 2020, 10:22:10 AM »
This isn't a joke so thought ' Chat' most appropriate place for it.  :)

An old lady handed her bank card to a bank cashier and said, “I would like to withdraw £10
The cashier told her, “For withdrawals less than £100 please use the ATM.”
The old lady wanted to know why ...
The cashier returned her bank card and irritably told her, “These are the rules. Please leave if there is no other matter. There is a queue behind you.”
The old lady remained silent for a few seconds, then handed the card back to the cashier and said, “Please help me withdraw all the money I have.”
The cashier was astonished when she checked the account balance. She nodded her head, leaned down and respectfully told her, you have £30,000 in your account and the bank doesn't have that much cash currently. Could you make an appointment and come again tomorrow?
The old lady then asked how much she could withdraw immediately.
The cashier told her any amount up to £3000
"Well, please let me have £3000 now", she said The cashier then handed it very friendly and respectfully to her
The old lady put £10 in her bag and asked the cashier to deposit £2990 back into her account.
the moral of this tale .......
Don't be difficult with old people, they spent a lifetime learning the skills.   

Bee

Re: A Word to the Wise
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2020, 10:33:32 AM »
Hi! Alex, do you read Whisky on Tour as well? ???

I posted this on another forum yesterday. ;D ;D
The only way is up....

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2020, 10:36:44 AM »
I would have done exactly the same thing in the circumstances. Well done her I say.

Alex22

« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2020, 11:49:50 AM »
Hi! Alex, do you read Whisky on Tour as well? ???

I posted this on another forum yesterday. ;D ;D

I received it in an e-mail yesterday.

Bee

« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2020, 11:53:14 AM »
Oh! I see, it's a good one. ;D ;D
The only way is up....

biglouis

« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2020, 11:30:02 PM »
Thats exactly the kind of thing I would have done.

Many years ago when I was a junior library assistant I went on saturday relief to a library where the boss was reputed to be a communist. I had no idea whether this was true as one did not ask such things in those days (1960s). The library was very busy with queues at both counters. The phone rang, and rang, and rang. Eventually the librarian (Mr H) excused himself from the reader he was dealing with, and went to answer the phone. The he laid the receiver down and returned to finish dealing with the reader.

As I had just finished with one customer  I asked "Shall I deal with the phone call?" Mr H said "No, this lady is next (indicating the next person in line) then the phone." I thought it was rather odd making the phone call wait in a queue but being a junior assistant i did as I was told. I should add that most calls were people asking to "renew" a book because they hadn't finished reading it and couldn't be bothered to bring it to the library to get it re-stamped. This was a rather clumsy process which took several minutes. In the meantime the queue got longer and people became impatient.

Later that day, over tea break, I asked Mr H if he always made the phone calls wait in the queue. He told me that most times he tried to deal with them in situ and always if they were calling from a phone box. However when it was busy he thought it unfair that someone sitting at home should take priority over people who had taken the trouble to come out to the library and queue up. I asked if people ever hung up rather than waiting to be attended to and he admitted that they frequently did.

I have no idea whether this had any connection to being a communist. However in the 1960s many people were still not connected, including my own parents. So perhaps to him it was a matter of someone "rich" not being able to use that as an unfair advantage.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

richmond62

« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2020, 02:55:00 PM »
That lady in the bank was very sensible.

Many long years ago, when I worked in a pub the landlord reminded me that, no matter how daft they may seem, a customer was always right.

----

Tangentially:

About 25 years ago I arrived a week in advance of my wife and young children in the United Arab Emirates
and was assigned a large flat with no curtians and no furniture. My employer assigned me a generous sum to
pay for curtains and furniture.

The main reason we went to the UAE was to earn and save money, not to spend it.

I went to a place where they made curtains and picked out some lovely fabrics for the kids' room, our bedroom, and so forth.
The chap in the shop named a sum about 10 times what I had in mind: and then pointed out that that did not include the
cost of the lining. I asked how much more the lining would be. It came to about a 20th of the cost of the curtains.

I asked if it might be possible to have curtains made of the lining material lined with lining material: it was, and cost about
10% of what the fancy curtains would have cost. We still have those curtains and the open-close mechanisms in our house
where we stay in the Bulgarian mountains.

biglouis

« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2020, 06:39:36 PM »
I recall an incident in the John Lewis flagship store in London many years ago.

A very grand old lady with a cut glass accent was sitting by the counter and being served with yards and yards of very expensive fabric which the assistant was busy measuring out. Several other people, including myself, were waiting to be served. A young man walked to the front and regardless of the fact that the assistant was occupied, began to question her about a stock item. The young assistant became flustered, left off attending the dowager, and began to speak to the male customer.

The grand lady tapped the young mans leg with her stick, and said "Young man, this assistant is attending to me. Kindly wait your turn and get to the back of the queue." He stood there open mouthed. The grand lady repeated her instruction and he quickly walked away.

When it was my turn to be served, I told the assistant that in these difficult situations where a rude person interrupts, the assistant should always take control of the interaction by saying something like "Im sory sir/madam but Im attending to this customer at the moment so I must ask that you wait or ask another assistant."

The assistant replied "In this store the customer may not always be right but they are never wrong!"

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.